Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 6

      1. Become a Guardian Angel
      2. From the Editor's Cave
      3. May We Suggest Stained Glass?
      4. "Tearing Down Walls. Building Up Hope,"
      A Message From The Rev. Nancy Wilson, UFMCC Moderator
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quote:

      "Leave results to God."
      Elizabeth Barrett Browning

      1. Become A Guardian Angel

      Chi Rho Press is reactivating our Guardian Angels program.
      We are looking for individuals, couples, or families who
      will become sponsors of the Press and more involved as
      partners in this ministry.

      Our vision of ecumenical, grass roots ministry really
      takes hold with the implementation of the Guardian Angel
      Individual Sponsor Program. Won't you become a part of
      this ministry? We are inviting you to become a Guardian
      Angel of Chi Rho Press today!

      Guardian Angels will

      1. Receive a welcome gift of your choice of one of the
      products on our Web site as a thank you for your support.

      2. Be listed as a Guardian Angel Sponsor in Chi Rho Press
      publications, press releases, eNewsletters, and on the Web
      page, with your permission.

      3. Receive an annual report prepared just for Sponsors.

      4. Be informed first about advance sales of publications
      from Chi Rho Press.

      5. And of course, you will remain in our prayers!

      And what do we ask from our Guardian Angels in return?
      Only three things,

      1. Please keep the ministry of Chi Rho Press in your
      prayers.

      2. A gift of at least $150 a year to Chi Rho Press from
      individuals, couples, or families.

      3. Keep your friends, family, co-workers, and churches
      informed about the resources available from Chi Rho Press,
      our Web site, and our eNewsletter, this Chi Rho Connection
      and the weekly Chi Rho Reflection.

      That's it. For just $150 a year, you can become a
      Guardian Angel Sponsor of this growing publishing house,
      serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and
      seeking community of faith. Chi Rho Press is reaching
      people with resources that are not available anywhere
      else, resources that are made especially for our LGBT
      community.

      "Even though we have managed to keep the costs of this
      special ministry very low, we need your support to grow
      and to expand our outreach. Won't you help?" asks former
      Board member and continuing supporter Steve Barchers.

      This program is now in place and we have welcomed our
      first Guardian Angels already. Please join us!

      Simply send your check for at least $150 to Chi Rho Press,
      ATTN: Guardian Angel Program, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898. Or just go to our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html and click on the
      $150 contribution as a minimum to become a Guardian Angel.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@..., or
      telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Thank you for your support!

      2. From the Editor's Cave
      By Adam DeBaugh

      [This article is the third of a series published in the
      "Epi-Grams," the newsletter of the health studies area
      of Westat. Adam is the editor of "Epi-Grams." Since
      "Epi-Grams" is only published quarterly, this, the third
      in the series, was published this month.]

      "Do you know the difference between a terrorist and an
      editor? You can negotiate with a terrorist."

      Much to my surprise, I received some e-mails after the
      last edition of "Epi-Grams" from people who complained
      that these very personal screeds "From the Editor's Cave"
      had gone missing. I thought [my boss] was going to fire
      me for the first two, starting the Dreaded Termination
      Interview with his trademark, "Hmm, let's see . . . ."
      But alas, I am still here and still editor of "Epi-Grams."
      Alas indeed!

      I am grateful that some of you at least have found some
      merit in the rantings of this Curmudgeon/Editor. I am
      feeling a bit mellower today, but feel moved to mention
      a couple of things.

      "The Screening Center should fill out a NRF." What's
      wrong with that sentence?

      It should be "an NRF." Why, I hear you whine? We only
      use "an" rather than "a" when the next word begins with
      a vowel and N is not a vowel. (Sigh) Yes, but, the
      Kindly, Long-Suffering Editor opines, it is more about
      the sound of the word. When you say the letter N, you
      are really saying "en," hence the preceding article should
      be "an."

      Here's a quiz! What other letters would be preceded by
      "an" rather than "a" if they lead off an acronym?

      Style Book

      My newest author at [Chi Rho Press] has asked why we have
      a style book. And I am sure my other colleagues also
      question why Uncle Adam is so durn fussy about adopting
      a style book and adhering to it. Why indeed! The easy
      answer is that having an arcane Style Book full of obscure
      and silly rules (like the Oxford comma, for instance) gives
      the Curmudgeon/Editor something to do!

      The correct answer (or at least a more correct answer) is
      that uniformity of style makes a document look more
      professional. I will freely admit that I may be the last
      breathing person in the sentient world to care about this
      sort of thing, it's the grisly fate of being a Word Guy in
      a company full of Numbers People, but I notice inconsistencies
      in style when I read a document. And it drives me bonkers!

      Of course, driving me bonkers may be the life goal of some
      of you, but the truth is that having a consistent style does
      make the written word easier to read and comprehend. Style
      Books are important. Each study should have one of its own.
      And I believe our projects benefit by having a uniformity
      of style that is under the oversight of a study editor.

      Now it is true that Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote (in the essay
      "Self Reliance") that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
      of little minds." But are you going to trust a man who not
      only has "Waldo" as his middle name, but uses it proudly?
      And Mr. Emerson doesn't bother to explain the difference
      between a "foolish" and a wise consistency. Nevertheless,
      I would make bold to suggest that consistency or uniformity
      of style in the written word is a very good thing indeed.

      Which English?

      We have all most likely heard the line, variously attributed
      to Winston Churchill, George Bernard Shaw, and even Alastair
      Cooke, that Great Britain and the United States are "two
      nations separated by a common language." In "The Canterville
      Ghost," Oscar Wilde wrote that Britain has "really everything
      in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."

      Dylan Thomas is quoted as saying on a radio show in the 50s
      that European writers and scholars in America are "up against
      the barrier of a common language."

      For instance, we Americans think Fall is a season that
      precedes winter and follows summer. The British know
      that season as Autumn and get confused if you refer to
      it as Fall.

      I have a good friend who spent a day in Washington with an
      English visitor, and proudly proclaimed that they had spent
      the day on the Lube, until she was corrected by the Brit
      who explained that she had been calling Metro, DC's
      admirable subway system, the Tube, not the Lube.

      The British government are always a plural entity. Hence,
      "the government are." In the United States, "the government
      is." Or isn't, depending on your political point of view.
      But in any case, we think of our government as a singular
      entity. The British like to see their government as a
      plural entity.

      Even something as simple as a date writ numerically can be
      confusing, as in the US it is customary to write mm/dd/yy,
      whereas in Great Britain the formulation is usually dd/mm/yy.
      So 3/6/06 will mean March 6, 2006 in the US and June 3,
      2006 in England.

      Second quiz question: What are your favorite variances
      between US and UK English?

      Finally, Vocabulary

      I had a complaint from a loyal reader. He protested that
      he had to consult a dictionary whilst reading something I
      had written. I think the problematic word was
      "penultimate." Aw.

      Well good! At least he did look it up, and hopefully
      learned that "penultimate" means "next to last." It is
      a perfectly good word, lovely and elegant, and very useful.
      And fun to say!

      There have been many studies that prove that a strong
      command of the English language is directly linked to
      success in one's life. Is this just the mind-numbing
      cavil of the resident Word Guy? I don't think so. Having
      a good, broad, and diverse vocabulary is fun! It will
      astound your friends, amaze your bosses, and infuriate
      your enemies, not to mention entertain small children
      and amuse one's pets.

      We live in a society that is increasingly sinking to the
      lowest common denominator. We write, talk, and even think
      more and more in tune with the least educated of the people
      we encounter. This is not at all a felicitous situation.
      Should we not rather be trying to raise the standards of
      thought and expression? Polite discourse can not and
      should not be reduced to "how r u?"

      How does one improve one's vocabulary? There are lots of
      helpful aids out there, just browse around Borders or
      Barnes and Noble. (Oh dear. Those are bookstores. A
      bookstore, Inquisitive Mind, is a place where one can
      find books to purchase. Um, a "book" is a bound sheaf
      of printed pages, a printed literary work. I hope I
      haven't lost you!)

      But here's an easy way to increase your vocabulary: Use
      your Thesaurus. No, a Thesaurus is not an extinct breed
      of dinosaur. It is a compendium of synonyms and can be
      quite useful when you find yourself using the same word
      over and over again. In Word, highlight the word you want
      to replace and hit Shift F7, and the pretty decent Thesaurus
      will pop up.

      Your third and final assignment of the quarter: learn a
      new word and use it intelligently in a sentence. It will
      be a challenge, but it will be fun. Honest. No, really,
      it will be. Oh come on, just try it! (But please, do not
      let your new word be "probabilistic," an abomination of a
      word I recently encountered. It makes me shudder.)

      Let me know how you do on your three assignments. \
      Here endeth the lesson.

      3. May We Suggest Stained Glass?

      Our Web minister, the Rev. Clay Witt has added eight photos
      of stained glass windows made by resident stained glass
      craftsperson, Adam DeBaugh. Adam specializes in windows
      and also created the small pieces that Chi Rho Press sells.

      The stained glass pieces Chi Rho Press sells are the basic
      cross ($12.00), the gay/lesbian rainbow flag ($18.00), the
      red stained glass AIDS ribbon ($7.50), the rainbow cross
      ($18.00), and the rainbow star of David ($18.00). See
      them at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Adam will create windows on commission. Glass is expensive
      and commissions generally are $75 a square foot. It takes
      up to 100 hours to make a two by three foot window, from
      design to framing. He uses the copper foil and solder
      method of stained glass. Each piece is cut to fit, then
      the edges are wrapped with copper foil to have something
      for the solder to adhere to, then the pieces are soldered
      together to make the window. Finally, the whole piece is
      outlined in zinc came and framed.

      Contact him at Adam@... for further information
      and to discuss commissions.

      New pictures on the Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass_custom.html .
      They include four windows commissioned for Holy Redeemer
      Metropolitan Community Church in College Park, Maryland.
      They are the Communion Window, the Holy Spirit Window, the
      Noah's Ark Window, and the Easter Lily Window. In addition
      are other windows made as gifts or hanging in Adam's home:
      Irises, Tulips in a Blue Vase (made for a wedding gift), a
      Hummingbird and Wisteria, and a Rocking Horse made on the
      birth of Adam's first nephew, Douglas.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site and take a look at
      the stained glass windows and buy some of the smaller pieces
      that are readily available.

      4. "Tearing Down Walls. Building Up Hope," A Message
      From The Rev. Nancy Wilson, UFMCC Moderator

      (Chi Rho Press encourages you to send a generous gift that
      will bring hope and faith through MCC's Eastern Europe
      Initiative. Read Elder Nancy Wilson's letter:)

      I'm writing today to ask for your help.

      During this Easter season, I'm inviting you to make a
      generous contribution to help MCC launch our vital new
      outreach in Eastern Europe.

      As we celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, we also
      have an opportunity to nurture the powerful resurrections
      taking place right now across Eastern Europe, as spiritual
      faith, political freedom, human rights, religious hunger,
      and LGBT affirmation are all experiencing the new birth of
      resurrection.

      Let me explain why MCC is ideally poised to nurture the
      spiritual and justice resurrections taking place in
      Eastern Europe:

      Two years ago, Rev. Elder Diane Fisher launched MCC-led
      international actions that changed the course of a nation.
      The President of Romania and the Mayor of Bucharest had
      both refused to allow a Pride March in Romania. But they
      yielded to the international pressure brought of the MCC-
      led actions.

      As a result, LGBT people across Romania held the first
      Pride March in their nation's history and MCC led public
      worship services, offered workshops, and helped organize
      the LGBT community.

      That event was a catalyst across Eastern Europe. Responses
      poured in to MCC from people of faith and LGBT activists
      asking for MCC's help to organize communities, offer
      workshops, support human rights, plant churches, and offer
      spiritual help to LGBT people.

      Now, your generous gift to MCC's Easter Offering for Eastern
      Europe will allow MCC to take advantage of these God-given
      opportunities and will bring faith and hope to people now
      experiencing the power of resurrection.

      In fact, your generous gift to MCC's special Easter Offering
      will accomplish two important goals: It will be used to plant
      new churches in Eastern Europe (churches that will provide
      spiritual support to LGBT people and their allies) and it
      will also advance the cause of human rights and justice in
      these emerging democracies.

      During May and June, Rev. Elder Diane Fisher and Romanian
      MCC leader Florin Buhuceneau will travel to Russia, Moldova,
      Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. We must raise $20,000 (US)
      to underwrite the cost of this initiative and to plant new
      churches.

      Can I count on you to make a gift to this important MCC
      outreach?

      To make your gift on-line today, simply CLICK HERE.
      <https://www.mccchurch.org/eseries/source/EasterDonations/donate.cfm?>

      Let me tell you what you will accomplish with your special
      MCC Easter Offering. Your gift will:

      Plant new MCC congregations in Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria,
      and Russia.

      Provide staffing in Eastern Europe to support new
      congregations and to actively address the spiritual and
      justice needs in this area.

      Print MCC materials in local languages.

      Be used to conduct a campaign in May and June 2006 in
      which Rev. Elder Diane Fisher and Romanian MCC leader
      Florin Buhuceanu will train activists, hold local pride
      events, and help organize LGBT communities, as well as
      hold workshops for LGBT people of faith and conduct local
      worship services.

      You can take part by making a contribution to your local
      MCC's Easter Offering for Eastern Europe, or to donate
      right now, CLICK HERE.
      <https://www.mccchurch.org/eseries/source/EasterDonations/donate.cfm?>

      I passionately believe in this new MCC Eastern European
      Initiative. We have a wonderful opportunity to carry MCC's
      gospel of God's inclusive love for all people to people who
      are hungry for faith.

      And your generous gift will turn this opportunity into a
      reality! Won't you take a minute right now to make your
      gift on-line by CLICKING HERE?
      <https://www.mccchurch.org/eseries/source/EasterDonations/donate.cfm?>

      Thank you for your faithfulness to Jesus' calling, and for
      your commitment to MCC's "Unfinished World; Unfinished Calling"
      program.

      The Reverend Nancy L. Wilson, Moderator, Metropolitan
      Community Churches

      P.S. If your browser does not support clickable links, you
      can make your gift by entering the following into your web
      browser:
      https://www.mccchurch.org/eseries/source/EasterDonations/donate.cfm?

      P.P.S. If you prefer to send your gift by postal mail, simply
      mail your check -- made payable to "Metropolitan Community
      Churches" with the notation "Eastern Europe Initiative" --
      to Metropolitan Community Churches, ATTN: Easter Offering
      for Eastern Europe, P. O. Box 691728, West Hollywood, CA
      90069.

      Background Information:

      In 2004, LGBT people in Bucharest, Romania announced plans
      for the very first LGBT Pride March in their nation's history.

      And very quickly the opposition galvanized: The state
      church demanded the March be canceled. The Romanian
      President opposed it, as did the Mayor of Bucharest.
      The police chief refused to issue the permits announcing
      he could not protect the safety and lives of the marchers.

      Romanian MCC leaders and LGBT activists asked for MCC's
      help, believing that MCC's role as a church might give
      it a unique voice on behalf of human rights.

      Rev. Elder Diane Fisher flew to Romania, where she worked
      side-by-side with Florin Buhuceanu. Florin is President
      of ACCEPT, Romania's LGBT human rights group, and the
      organizer of MCC's first congregation in Romania.

      On-site, Diane worked with Florin to organize the LGBT
      community. They trained 40 LGBT activists. They
      conducted scores of press interviews for newspapers,
      magazines, TV, and radio. And they launched an
      international campaign to focus attention on the
      situation including an e-mail campaign to the mayor
      of Bucharest and the President of Romania.

      The Mayor of Bucharest was so flooded by incoming
      international e-mails, he shut down his e-mail account.
      But that didn't stop the cause: working with the MCC
      Communications Department, Diane sent revised action
      alerts with alternative e-mail addresses to reach the
      Mayor and international response continued to pour in.

      Within a week, the Romania President reversed himself
      and ordered city officials to meet with the LGBT
      delegation. The permits were issued. And several
      hundred Romanians took part in their country's first-
      ever Pride March. The day after the march, MCC
      conducted a highly visible worship service in the
      Romanian capital.

      That event and the international media attention it
      received marked a pivotal moment. Activists and LGBT
      faith leaders in other countries began to write Rev.
      Fisher and ask for MCC's support. The requests rolled
      in from Bulgaria, Moldova, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia,
      Bosnia, Hungary, Latvia, Croatia, and as far away as
      Sri Lanka.

      In each case, local LGBT people asked MCC to come to
      them, to help them organize, to hold public events, and
      to establish MCC churches.

      Across Eastern Europe, MCC is now known as "The church
      that supports human rights."

      (Note from Adam DeBaugh: While at MCC's international
      General Conference last July in Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
      I had the privilege of getting to know three of the LGBT
      activists from Eastern Europe, Igor from Serbia, Jakob
      from Croatia, and Dim from Bulgaria. I attended a meeting
      with them, Elder Fisher, the Rev. Elder Arlene Ackerman
      (the Regional Elder in whose Region I reside and minister),
      and others. I fully support this important opportunity
      and have already made a contribution to the Easter Campaign.
      I encourage you to help as well. This is exciting and
      ground-breaking ministry for the religious and civil
      rights of LGBT people in Eastern Europe!)

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Joy at the Tomb"
      from the Easter section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read John 20:1-2, 11-13a and Psalm 30:5b

      During this holy season when we "celebrate" the death of
      Jesus on the cross, if celebrate is a word we can use, I
      cannot help but compare it to the death of my own
      companion from AIDS a year ago. Over the past year I
      have come to appreciate being a Christian much more
      fully. It is ironic that my companion would bring that
      out of me, his being Jewish, but then so was Jesus.

      This appreciation has to do with Easter Morning, for I
      know that in some very real way my personal loved one,
      like Jesus, has risen to be with the God of Creation.
      Life does not end with a tomb.

      Mary Magdalene, like most of us, went to the tomb to
      grieve and to honor the one she loved. Randy's parents
      and I often go to his tomb, and it is a good and
      respectful thing that we do that. But recently his
      parents did something that has added much to that
      experience, something that I think would make Jesus
      smile and give Randy a hug.

      Across from the grave marker, a very proper bronze
      plaque with Randy's full name and dates, they placed
      a beautiful granite bench with not his formal name but
      rather the name that those who loved him best called
      him, "The Randy Bear."

      So I go not just to Randy's tomb but to his bench, and
      I sit there and feel his presence and his love that comes
      not from the tomb, but rather from the sunshine of God's
      living creation. Jesus is there too, as he is present
      whenever God's love takes human form.

      Jesus left the tomb. He did not want to leave us with a
      place to go and weep as respectful as that may be. Rather,
      he wanted to teach us that it is the joy of life that is
      eternal, that God and those of God's children who have
      gone before us smile upon us and wish us long, full, and
      happy lives. Weeping may linger for a night, but joy comes
      in the morning. Happy Easter.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2006
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sat., April 15, Bd. Peter Gonzalez. Preaching:
      Everything spoken in the name of Christ that is
      biblically founded and that spreads His work IS the
      word of Christ, from whom all grace comes. Learn from
      Bd. Peter that none are beyond the power of such words,
      modestly but boldly proclaimed. "The sound of the words
      strikes the ear; the master teaches within," St. Augustine.

      Mon., April 24, St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen. Neighborly
      concern: We take great delight in decorating altars with
      flowers and pretty things made of gold and silver, and it
      is right to do so, but if we want to offer God gifts of
      greater value we must, like St. Fidelis, seek to save
      souls who but for us would be lost. By offering God
      these souls, we offer God the jewels of paradise. "And
      how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is
      written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring
      good news!'" (Romans 10:15).

      Tues., April 25, St. Mark (Patron saint: lawyers). On
      Christ's adult life: Learn from St. Mark to keep the image
      of Christ constantly before you. Mark provided numerous
      slight details that give us vivid coloring in the gospel
      scenes and help us picture the very gestures and the look
      of Christ. "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of
      darkness,' made God's light shine in our hearts to give
      us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the
      face of Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).

      Wed., April 26, St. Frances of Rome. Guardian angels:
      God appointed an angel to guard each one of us, who watches
      and prompts us daily. If we listen to our angel's voice
      now, we will be led to the very throne of God. "Reverence
      your guardian angel; do not dare to do before him what you
      would not dare to do before me," St. Bernard.

      Thurs., April 27, St. Zita (Patron saint: domestic workers).
      Prayer and work: "What must I do to be saved?" asked a
      despairing person. "Work and pray, pray and work," replied
      a voice, "and you will be saved." The whole life of St.
      Zita teaches us this truth. "We are no good if we are
      not industrious; work-shy piety is sham piety," St. Zita.

      Fri., April 28, St. Paul of the Cross. Devotion to the
      Passion: St. Paul prayed and suffered especially for
      England, where he saw many souls in danger of perishing
      through religious error and unbelief. One sign of
      devotion to the Passion and all that it means is a love
      of those for whom Christ died. "I have been crucified
      with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me"
      (Galatians 2:20).

      Sat., April 29, St. Peter of Verona. Confessing the truth:
      St. Peter spent his entire life preaching to heretics. We,
      too, live surrounded by people who (mostly through no fault
      of their own) reject parts or all of the Christian faith.
      Are we courageous, firm, zealous, full of prayers for their
      conversion, unflinching in our profession of faith?

      Sun., April 30, St. Catherine of Siena (Patron saint: fire
      prevention). The business of the church: St. Catherine
      willingly sacrificed the delights of contemplation to work
      for the church and the Apostolic See. How deeply do the
      troubles of the church, and their inevitable effects on
      individual members, weigh on our minds? How often do we
      pray for our church leaders and their loved ones?

      Mon., May 1, St. Peregrine Laziosi (Patron saint: cancer
      and AIDS patients). Works of wonder: The lesson of St.
      Peregrine's life is not that God worked a miracle, but that
      a faithful, trustful servant placed himself unconditionally
      in the hands of God. Peregrine's trust in God can be a model
      for us in dealing with the pain, sickness, and the crosses
      of our lives.

      Diversity Date: Older Americans Month
      Asian Pacific Islanders Month

      Tues., May 2, St. Athanasius. Standing up for your faith:
      Christian faith is far more precious than all of the riches
      and treasures of earth, more glorious and greater than all
      its honors, all its possessions. This is what saves sinners,
      gives light to the blind, restores penitents, perfects the
      righteous, and is the crown of martyrs. "God has promised
      to be like a wall of fire round those who rightly believe
      in God," St. Athanasius.

      Wed., May 3, St. Catherine of Bologna. Worshipful sprit:
      We are endowed with many noble powers and can feel the keen
      joy in exercising them; but the best joy comes from
      concentrating all of our powers of mind and heart in the
      humblest worship before God. "Consciousness of my
      nothingness is a very great force. It has unbarred all
      the gates of my soul, and gives entrance to the One who
      is infinite," St. Catherine of Bologna.

      Thurs., May 4, St. Anne (Patron saint: Christian mothers).
      Response to divine calls: St. Anne, Mary's mother, is
      glorious among the saints not because God chose her to
      be Mary's mother but because she gave Mary to God. Learn
      from her to reverence divine vocation as the highest
      privilege and to sacrifice every natural tie, however
      holy, at the call of God.

      Fri., May 5, St. Dominic Savio. Seeking and finding the
      glory of God: St. Dominic was one of the most fragile
      men in the church, dying at age 15, but he sought
      sanctity with unsurpassed zeal. "Give me souls, Lord;
      You take the rest" was his battle cry. "He who seeks
      the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there
      is no injustice in him" John 7:18.

      Diversity Date: Cinco de Mayo: Mexico

      Sat., May 6, St. Joseph Calasanctius. Teaching the
      children: The Cure of Ars used to say that, "I often
      think that most Christians who are lost are lost for
      want of instruction, they do not know their religion
      properly." People are better instructed in the truths
      of the faith by learning from the examples we set than
      by all of the church's teaching.

      Sun., May 7, St. Stanislaus of Cracow. Denouncing sin:
      The best correction as well as the safest of vice is a
      blameless life, yet there are times when silence would
      make us answerable for the sins of others. At such times
      we have, in God's name, to rebuke the offender without fear.

      Mon., May 8, Sts. Peter and Dionysia. Patience in suffering:
      The martyrs were like us, and equally with us shrank from
      suffering. They were unmoved under it because they looked to
      eternal reward, made strong by seeing God who is invisible.
      "Be patient, then brothers and sisters, until the Lord's
      coming. As you know, we consider blessed those who have
      persevered" (James 5:7, 11).

      Tues., May 9, St. Pachomius. Humility: "To live in great
      simplicity," said St. Pachomius, "and in a wise ignorance,
      is exceedingly wise." And most people "look for miracles
      as a sign of holiness but I prefer a solid, heartfelt
      humility to raising the dead."

      Wed., May 10, St. Antonino. Alms giving: St. Antonino
      never refused an alms asked in God's name. When he did
      not have money, he gave his clothes or shoes or even his
      furniture. The giving of alms includes every kind of
      service rendered to a neighbor who needs such assistance.
      No one is so poor that they can not give something to some
      one, even unto the richest people, for they have needs too.

      Thurs., May 11, St. James the Less. Purity and simplicity:
      St. James is remembered for the two major aspects of
      Christianity: faith and works, one is holy aspiration
      and the other purity of heart. "Come near to God and God
      will come near to you" (James 4:8).

      Fri., May 12, St. Agatha (Patron saint: breast diseases,
      nurses). Choosing friends: Purity is a gift from God:
      we can gain it and keep it only by the most watchful care
      by avoiding anything and anyone that may prove an
      encouragement to failure. "Make your friends among
      people who are good and well-behaved, remember the words
      whose use was consecrated by the Apostle, 'bad
      companionship is the ruin of good morals,'" Tertullian.

      Sat., May 13, St. Anthony. Less is more: St. Anthony is
      considered the father of Christian monasticism exercising
      strict rules and character. He was the epitome of the
      less is more concept.

      Sun., May 14, St. Boniface of Tarsus. Devotion to the
      saints: Very little is known of St. Boniface but the
      legend should teach us to turn evil into good, make our
      very sins a motive for moving ourselves with greater fervor
      to the intercession of God's saints. "Each one had a harp
      and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which
      are the prayers of the saints" (Revelations 5:8).

      Mon., May 15, St. Michael Garicoits. Interior lives: St.
      Michael made special retreats based on the spiritual
      exercises of St. Ignatius, which strengthened his desire
      to found the Society of Priests. He taught that it was
      important to be deaf to the temptation to sacrifice the
      religious life and personal sanctification to the apostolate;
      he likened it to gathering flowers from a tree to form a
      bouquet and afterwards looking for fruit on the barren
      branches.

      Tues., May 16, St. John of Nepomuk (Patron saint: discretion).
      Indiscretion: St. John teaches us that what we hear in
      confidence must stay in confidence. He was martyred for
      refusing to break the seal of confession in Czechoslovakia
      when the king ordered him to reveal what his wife had
      confessed.

      Wed., May 17, St. Paschal Baylon. Devotion to the blessed
      sacrament: St. Paschal believed that we should never let
      a day pass without visiting Jesus in the sacrament. If we
      are not able to take the sacrament, then we are to turn our
      minds and thoughts to Jesus at least once daily.

      Thurs., May 18, St. Felix of Cantalice. Being thankful:
      St. Felix always greeted people with the words Deo Gratias;
      he taught all the children he came into contact with to
      repeat the words and when they saw him, they would call
      it out. "I will praise you forever for what you have
      done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good.
      I will praise you in the presence of your saints" (Psalm
      52:9).

      Fri., May 19, St. Peter Celestine (Patron saint:
      bookbinders). Solitude with God: "To speak heart to
      heart with God you must love to be with God alone; they
      who take pleasure in the society of the great will never
      hear God's voice," St. Celestine.

      Sat., May 20, St. Bernardine of Siena. Devotion to the
      holy name: Bernardine was a youth when he undertook the
      care of an old woman relation of his, who was destitute,
      bedridden, blind, and could hardly speak except to utter
      the holy name. He watched over her until her death. To
      understand the mysteries of Jesus, we too must become
      families with his friends, the poor, the suffering, and
      the sick.

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      It is Spring and there is so much going on! We have had
      little time to get out mid-month edition of the Chi Rho
      Connection, so this will have to serve for all of April.
      I hope you missed us, even a little!

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels of
      Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we prepare our
      next books for publication. Just $150 for a year will
      make you an important participant in this ministry.
      Thank you!

      *****

      I also hope you read carefully the letter from Nancy
      Wilson, Moderator of the Metropolitan Community Churches,
      concerning MCC's move into Eastern Europe. This is a
      very important area of ministry and I encourage your
      support.

      *****

      Thanks for your continuing support of Chi Rho Press.
      Look for the Chi Rho Connection again in mid May. Have
      a wonderful Easter Season.

      *****

      Please check out the Chi Rho Cards! Our line of
      greeting cards, by the talented New York artist Timothy
      Leetch, are now available. See the descriptions of the
      cards on our Web site at: http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com