Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 9, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 9, 2006

      Temptation and holy words

      But Jesus answered, "It is written, 'One shall not
      live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds
      from the mouth of God.'"
      Matthew 4:4

      Food for the body is not enough to satisfy the deepest
      longings of our souls. We all hunger for meaning,
      purpose in living, and a sense of value. We hunger
      for God. Christ refused to use his power for self-
      service. He chose to experience hunger, one of the
      keenest pains humankind experiences. He chose to
      identify with those who suffer. He gave himself
      completely to serving God. "Seek first the Kingdom
      (Reign) of God and God's righteousness, and all these
      things shall be added to you" (Matthew 6:33 NIV).
      Food is not our only concern in this life. We need
      soul food that sustains us when we are physically
      and spiritually starving. Sacred words in scripture
      are one form of soul food, which will endure forever.

      Jesus knew the words of scripture and quoted Deuteronomy
      8:3 to his tempter. Jesus is exhausted, starving, and
      vulnerable to evil. Yet he is inwardly sustained by a
      word of holy scripture. His Bible was the Old Testament.
      He had committed himself to memorizing large portions of
      it since childhood. In his moment of need, he had
      spiritual food for his journey. He carried scripture
      in his heart. Jesus did not have a copy of a written
      Bible with him. He had it engraved in his heart.

      Holy words nourish us in difficult times. We also need
      to carry them in our hearts. We would be wise to
      memorize nourishing words for our times of need.
      Perhaps you have never before memorized scripture.
      It is a spiritual discipline that has encouraged
      people in danger and safety, health and sickness,
      from birth to death.

      Jesus is later recorded as saying, "I am the bread of
      life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and
      whoever believes in me will never be thirsty" (John
      6:35). The One who hungered is now bread for the
      world.

      God, help us carry nourishing words in our hearts for
      our times of need. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find