Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 2, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 2, 2006

      Getting started

      "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
      with God, and the Word was God."
      John 1:1

      Once it was my privilege and challenge to present
      five spiritually centered sessions over the course
      of a weekend retreat. It was a retreat specifically
      offered to sexual minorities and their friends. The
      program emphasized the theme "relinquish, reclaim,
      and renew." Many had felt isolated and condemned
      by their experiences with mainline religious
      organizations. We wrestled with what to relinquish
      and reclaim for inner renewal as God's beloved people.
      This was radical information for some retreat attendees
      who had only experienced the Bible as a weapon used
      against them. The only books we used were the Gospel
      of John and Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen. It
      was a remarkable weekend of spiritual empowerment as
      many took a risk with God and reclaimed their

      I will always remember the exuberance of one woman who
      attended this retreat. This particular woman eagerly
      went to a bookstore after the retreat to buy her very
      first Bible. We happened to meet by chance in the
      parking lot. We hugged and chatted about the weekend.
      Then she asked me, "Now how do I get started in reading
      this book?" She was a brilliant executive and dynamic
      leader, but the Bible was strange and unfamiliar to
      her. How do we begin reading the Bible?

      An old Chinese proverb wisely tells us the journey of
      a thousand miles begins with a single step. Our
      spiritual journey begins with opening the book for
      the first time. Be open to its message. Ask yourself
      what prejudices or experiences may need to be
      relinquished so you may enjoy spiritual openness to
      these new words. Take a chance with God and ask to
      claim or reclaim an insight, a centering word, or
      strengthening thought for your day. Expect inner
      renewal. You will find spiritual nourishment in the
      Gospels for yourself, those you love, and those you
      do not.

      God, help us relinquish whatever is spiritually
      negative in our lives. Help us reclaim truth and
      strength for the day. Let us experience deep
      spiritual renewal through our readings. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find