Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 5

      1. The Devil's Beatitudes
      2. New Chi Rho Press Board Members
      3. May We Suggest "Called Out"?
      4. Become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quote:

      "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
      every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense,
      a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those
      who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms
      is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat
      of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the
      hopes of its children."

      Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), U.S. general,
      Republican politician, U.S.
      President

      1. The Devil's Beatitudes

      Sent to us by former board member and Web minister
      the Rev. Clay H. Witt.

      Blessed are those who are too tired, too busy, too
      distracted to spend an hour once a week with their
      fellow Christians -- they are my best work.

      Blessed are those Christians who wait to be asked
      and expect to be thanked -- I can use them.

      Blessed are the touchy who stop going to church --
      they are my missionaries.

      Blessed are the trouble makers -- they shall be
      called my children.

      Blessed are the complainers -- I'm all ears to them.

      Blessed are those who are bored with the minister's
      mannerisms and mistakes -- for they get nothing out
      of the sermons.

      Blessed is the church member who expects to be
      invited to his own church -- for he or she is a part
      of the problem instead of the solution.

      Blessed are those who gossip -- for they shall cause
      strife and divisions that please me.

      Blessed are those who are easily offended -- for they
      will soon get angry and quit.

      Blessed are those who do not give their offering to
      carry on God's work for they are my helpers.

      Blessed is the one who professes to love God but hates
      his or her brother and sister for that one shall be
      with me forever.

      Blessed are you who, when you read this, think it is
      about other people and not yourself -- I've got you
      too!

      2. New Chi Rho Press Board Members

      We are saddened to announce the retirement of yet
      another member of the Board of Directors of Chi Rho
      Press. As you may remember, the Rev. Clay Witt
      retired from the Board last year, as well as from
      active ministry, and moved to Florida. Clay
      continues to serve as our Web minister and is also
      busy compiling the 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary.

      Today, March 31, marks the end of over ten years of
      service of another Board member, Mr. Stephen Barchers.
      Steve has been an incredibly faithful and wonderful
      board member and he will be missed. But after ten
      years, we can not disagree that it is time for him
      to move on and focus his considerable energies on
      other ministries.

      Steve lives in Front Royal, Virginia, with his partner
      of many years Frank.

      We are pleased to welcome two new Board members into
      our midst as well!

      The Rev. Reg Richburg is on staff at MCC of Washington,
      DC, and has been in Washington taking courses at Wesley
      Theological Seminary. Reg returns home to New York just
      after Easter to work in a counseling center for about a
      year, before coming back to DC with partner Susie. Reg
      is a social worker in addition to being MCC clergy and
      an excellent workshop leader and spiritual director.

      Also joining the board is C. Gabriel Carey, Ph.D., also
      from MCC DC. Dr. Carey is a college level English
      teacher and has recently begun a contract as an editor
      at the Library of Congress. An active lay person, she
      is committed to small group curricula and other
      ministries of Chi Rho Press.

      Please join us in welcoming Reg and Gabriel to our
      Board of Directors!

      3. May We Suggest "Called Out"?

      We believe that Presbyterians and indeed all people
      of faith need to read "Called OUT! The Voices and
      Gifts of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered
      Presbyterians" now more than ever.

      "Called OUT!" was compiled by the Rev. Jane Adams
      Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and Melinda
      McLain. In it 39 LGBT Presbyterians tell their
      stories about their lives in, and out of the
      Presbyterian Church. People from both the old
      northern and southern churches, and the reunited
      Presbyterian Church (USA), from all over the United
      States, tell their stories here with candor, wit,
      and faith. An important book for all who either
      are Lesbian or Gay or would seek to understand
      Gay people of faith, regardless of their religion.
      Now in its second printing, "Called OUT!" has been
      called an incredibly valuable book. Former Stated
      Clerk William P. Thompson said all "Presbyterians
      should read 'Called OUT'."

      "Called OUT!" is available from Chi Rho Press for
      $17.95 each, six or more copies for $15.25 each.
      You may order on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevCalledOut.html

      4. Become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press

      As you may already know, all contributions to Chi Rho
      Press are fully tax deductible. If you are able to make
      a financial gift to this ministry, we would welcome your
      support. Gifts and contributions of any size are welcome
      and appreciated!

      We are committed to reviving our Guardian Angel program.
      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit card at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send your check
      or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Thanks for your support!

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Snap Out of It!"
      from the Lenten section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Genesis 2:4b-9 and Romans 5:12

      One of the purposes of the book of Genesis must have
      been to give an explanation of how things came to be.
      All ancient cultures had such stories, and it is
      amazing how similar they are. Now of course, with
      our modern scientific approach to things we know much,
      much more. Of course, comparing what we know even
      now to all that there is to know probably leaves much
      room for future generations to impress the God that
      created them.

      By evolution, big bang, or whatever, God surely did
      create the earth and the heavens. It does not take
      any genius to look up and look down and know that
      they are there. It does not say Sony or Mitsubishi
      anywhere on them. God is by definition the source
      of all there is. You can call God something else,
      but you can not deny that a piece of creative work
      has been done. God did it. There was nobody else
      around to even put a bid on the contract.

      How, why, when, and how long it took are interesting
      details. I suppose that God might find some of our
      efforts to do so quite amusing sort of like watching
      a child try to figure out a new toy.

      Of course we do grow up. God created us to do that
      hard as that sometimes is to believe and not only
      can we figure out a lot of things, we can pass
      knowledge on to others. That is a good thing.
      I do not know about you, but I am particularly
      fond of indoor plumbing and central heat. Modern
      medicine has benefited me, too. I am kind of glad
      that somebody found some knowledge, whether on a
      tree or elsewhere.

      It is wonderful how God created so much and still
      left us plenty to do to occupy our time. We have
      accomplished quite a lot since the time of Genesis.
      We could not have done any of it without the
      resources God provided but, hey, we get at least
      a C+ for our efforts.

      So why do we insist on bragging about how bad we
      can be? From way back in Genesis we have been
      claiming that we can sin so powerfully that we
      even created death itself. But no, we did not.
      God created life and living things that grow and
      change, reproduce and die. Life itself is eternal
      and anything about us that God considers worth
      saving will live on in eternity.

      Our sins cause a lot of heartache. They are
      distracting little blips in God's infinite plan,
      but they are not the be all and end all of creation.
      God created the earth and the heavens. Do you not
      think God could snap us out of it if we were too
      far out of hand? God just has an amazing amount
      of patience.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2006
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Fri., March 31, St. Cyril of Alexandria. The
      Incarnation: The Incarnation is the mystery of
      God's dwelling as human with us, and therefore,
      should be a most important object of our contemplation.
      It was the passion of St. Cyril's life for he underwent
      toil and persecution and willingly sacrificed credit
      and friends for this.

      Sat., April 1, St. Paul the Simple. Single-mindedness:
      We have only thing to do the will of God! We have
      only one thing to fear offense against God. One
      thing to hope for the possession of God's grace.
      Our actions should have only one motive the glory
      of God.

      Diversity Date: Cancer Control Month and National
      Child Abuse Prevention Month

      Sun., April 2, St. Francis of Paola. Rely on God:
      Rely on God in all your difficulties. This reliance
      on God enabled St. Francis to do great miracles and
      will in direct proportion, do wonders for you by
      giving you strength and consolation. "All creatures
      obey those who serve God with a perfect heart," St.
      Francis of Paola.

      Mon., April 3, St. Richard of Chichester. On being
      faithful: St. Richard performed his duties as a
      brother, chancellor, and bishop without a single
      thought of self-interest. Neglect of duty is the
      first sign of self-love which ends in loss of grace.
      "Now it is required that those who have been given
      a trust must prove faithful" (1 Corinthians 4:2).

      Tues., April 4, St. Isidore of Seville (Patron saint:
      computer users). Flattery: Temptation's strength
      lies in something being flattering to our pride; or
      fits in with our laziness; or may be attractive to
      our passions. St. Isidore teaches us to listen
      neither to the promptings of our baser natures nor
      the plausible advice of friends when they contradict
      the voice of God. "By smooth talk and flattery they
      deceive the minds of naïve people" (Romans 16:18).

      Wed., April 5, St. Vincent Ferrer (Patron saint:
      builders). There really is power in God's word:
      "Whatever you do, do not think of yourself but of
      God." St. Vincent preached in this spirit and when
      God speaks to us in the spirit, if we listen, we CAN
      hear the voice of God. "I must fulfill the commands
      I have received from God: God has commanded me to
      preach the judgment to all God's peoples," St. Vincent
      Ferrer.

      Thurs., April 6, St. Pambo. Watching what you say:
      When we think "saints" we think of their self-denial
      and the numerous mortifications they underwent, however
      if we just control what we say to others, we too can
      follow the saints' teachings. Watching what we say
      about ourselves and our beliefs and refraining from
      giving unsolicited opinions is very much within the
      realm of what we can do.

      Fri., April 7, St. John the Baptist de la Salle (Patron
      saint: teachers, educators). Be driven: "Be driven by
      the love of God because Jesus Christ died for all, that
      those who live may live not for themselves but for him,
      who died and rose for them. Above all, let your charity
      and zeal show how you love the Church. Your work is for
      the Church, which is the body of Christ," St. John the
      Baptist de la Salle.

      Diversity Date: World Health Day.

      Sat., April 8, St. Colette. Pray for our leaders: One
      of the great tests of being a good Christian is to pray
      for our church leaders and the leaders of our nation.
      "So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was
      earnestly praying to God for him" (Acts 12:5).

      Sun., April 9, Sts. Apollonius and Philemon.
      Gentleness: We wonder why when we discuss our faith
      with non-Christians, our discussions bear little fruit.
      It is because we think too much of ourselves, too
      little of charity and of truth. We should forget
      ourselves, and learn to be humble and meek. Then
      Christ will speak for us.

      Start of Holy Week. Palm/Passion Sunday.

      Mon., April 10, St. Michael de Sanctis. Holy
      communion: The saints gave their whole lives to
      the preparation for communion and never felt fully
      prepared. We gripe about a short half hour of
      preparation every Sunday before taking communion and
      are perfectly content.

      Tues., April 11, St. Gemma Galgani (Patron saint:
      pharmacists). Purity of words, deeds, and actions:
      "Look at what Jesus has suffered for us. Consider one
      by one these Wounds. It is Love that has opened them
      all. See how execrable (horrible) sin is, since to
      expiate it, so much pain and so much love have been
      necessary," St. Gemma Galgani. St. Gemma is one of
      the few stigmatists in the church's history.

      Wed., April 12, St. Sabas the Goth. Serving
      faithfully: Most of our problems occur because we
      try to follow too many masters at the same time
      instead of following Christ first. Let us order
      our priorities and place first things first: all
      else will fall into place. "I am coming soon:
      Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take
      your crown" (Revelations 3:11).

      Thurs., April 13, St. John of Egypt. Self-examination:
      St. John teaches us that the saints examine themselves
      minutely in the light of God's perfection, repent and
      do penance accordingly. We, on the other hand, judge
      ourselves by the standard of other people and rest
      satisfied with the findings. Yet it will be by divine
      perfection that we will be judged when we die.

      Maundy Thursday

      Fri., April 14, Bd. Lydwina (Patron saint: nurses).
      On pain: God gives us pain so that we can learn from
      it and grow in our reliance on God. Bd. Lydwina
      reminds us how great the rewards are for those who
      know and accept its value, learn from it, grow in
      love of Christ, and accept it as a mercy.

      Good Friday

      Diversity Date: Pan American Day, Latin America:
      celebrates friendship between the United States and
      the Latin American countries.

      Sat., April 15, Bd. Peter Gonzalez. Preaching:
      Everything spoken in the name of Christ that is
      biblically founded and that spreads His work IS the
      word of Christ, from whom all grace comes. Learn
      from Bd. Peter that none are beyond the power of
      such words, modestly but boldly proclaimed. "The
      sound of the words strikes the ear; the master
      teaches within," St. Augustine.

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      Have you heard of Whosoever, the on-line LGBT
      Christian magazine at www.whosoever.org? I really
      encourage you to check it out!

      Whosoever is celebrating their tenth anniversary
      this year and founder and editor the Rev. Candace
      Chellew-Hodge has offered a collection of essays to
      Chi Rho Press to celebrate the anniversary. The
      editing of "Homospirituality: A Queer Kind of Faith"
      is nearing completion and we look forward to its
      publication this year. Don't miss the Chi Rho
      Connection for news of the pre-publication sale!

      *****

      Lent began on Wednesday, March 1, and Chi Rho Press
      is very proud of our two books of Lenten devotions.
      Here is a brief description of each one.

      "'You Need Only To Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures
      to Journey Through Lent," by Randy Jedele. Spiral bound,
      5½" x 8½", 100 pages. A book of daily devotions for Lent,
      in which author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through
      the Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has drawn
      on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist background
      to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in new ways in these
      Lenten devotions. View it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm

      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      Our first book of Lenten Meditations was "For
      Another Flock," written from a Gay Roman
      Catholic point of view. "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      *****

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year
      B is available on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may
      view it and order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for 11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      I have begun work on next year's Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary. The Rev. Clay Witt has sent the first
      quarter of the Liturgical Calendar and I have finished
      editing it and am waiting for the next installment.
      Watch for news of the publication of this popular
      resource in the early Autumn of this year.

      *****

      Please check out the Chi Rho Cards! Our line of
      greeting cards, by the talented New York artist Timothy
      Leetch, are now available. See the descriptions of the
      cards on our Web site at: http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com