Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 19, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 19, 2006

      Love and bitterness

      "She said to them, 'Do not call me Na'omi, call me
      Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with
      me. I went away full, and the LORD has brought me
      back empty. Why call me Na'omi, when the LORD has
      afflicted me and the Almighty has brought calamity
      upon me?'"
      Ruth 1:20-21

      Naomi teaches us the blessing of being brutally honest
      with her feelings and perceptions of what God as done
      in her life, valuable lessons for today. And people
      listened to her story of grief with respect. They
      blessed her with holy listening. They heard her with
      compassion.

      Listen to me, said Naomi. My life is no longer
      pleasant, but bitter. I left this country with my
      husband with wonderful dreams and hopes. And now
      look at me. My life is empty and barren. God has
      dealt harshly with me and brought calamity after
      calamity.

      Poor Ruth. Her friendship and commitment to Naomi
      is being sorely tested. Her mother-in-law is so
      steeped in her own grief that she cannot see beyond
      her pain. Ruth has sacrificed her own happiness and
      physical security to remain with Naomi in her
      vulnerability. Now all Ruth has to show for her
      steadfast love is a living situation with a bitter,
      unhappy, and depressed relative.

      Love and bitterness, bitterness and love. Have you
      ever experienced these feelings? What does today's
      story mean to you? Pour out your honest feelings to
      God through prayer. May God bless you in your prayers.

      God, bring us from bitterness into love, from
      barrenness to fullness, from sorrow to joy, from
      pain to rejoicing. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find