Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 5, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 5, 2006

      God's rest

      "So then, there remains a sabbath rest for the people
      of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from
      their labors as God did from God's. Let us therefore
      strive to enter that rest. . . ."
      Hebrews 4:9-11a

      Sometimes we need to slow down to hear God during
      moments of rest. "If God speaks anywhere, it is into
      our personal lives that [God] speaks . . . we sleep
      and dream. We wake. We work. We remember and forget.
      We have fun and are depressed. And into the thick of
      it, or out of the thick of it, at moments of even the
      most humdrum of our days, God speaks," writes Frederick
      Beuchner, an expert in daily meditation. (Beuchner,
      Frederick. "Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations
      with Frederick Beuchner," p. 2.)

      What is God saying to us about rest? God says that we
      need it. Why are we not making every effort to enter
      that blessed rest? Rest is a blessing for all the
      people of God.

      At times in my life rest was not always humanly possible.
      Too many responsibilities, activities, and commitments
      in the day's schedule often lead to exhaustion. Money
      cannot buy what rest brings us. Rest is our most basic
      spiritual birthright.

      As we close our meditation, let the Spirit be in our
      breathing today. Breathe with God. Breathe slowly,
      breathe deeply, and breathe in quiet moments of rest
      throughout the day's activities. Breathe with God one
      step at a time. One moment at a time. Breathe in God's
      rest while breathing out whatever is not restful in you
      today.

      God, bless us with moments of sacred rest and renewal
      this day. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find