Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 19, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 19, 2006

      Sound and silence

      "Be still, and know that I am God."
      Psalm 46:10a

      Sound and silence can help guide us into stillness
      and rest. Sound shapes and guides life. Drums,
      bells, and musical instruments have been used as
      meditation tools for a long time. Beethoven is
      credited with saying, "Music is a fuller way to
      God than words" (Edwards, Tilden. "Living in the
      Presence," p. 34). A friend's favorite saying is,
      "The key to maintaining the rhythm of life is
      resting at the right time." Sound and silence can
      help us rest and develop inner empowerment. Music,
      with its mixture of sound and silence, can inspire
      us to journal or create our own spiritually
      empowering practices.

      We also experience the power of vibrations in nature
      through wind, rain, and the sounds of birds and
      animals. Many spiritual communities in both the
      Eastern and Western worlds use chant for meaningful
      and powerful experiences.

      Simple resonant words are especially effective in
      guiding us from sound into silence. Often they
      have "ah" and "om" sounds. Words such as shalom,
      om a hum, Abba, Amma, Yeshua, Adoni, holy, amen,
      and alleluia are simple words that are easy to use
      in chant and centering meditation.

      Meditating on different names for the sacred can be
      an important step toward claiming spiritual empowerment.
      Gandhi was famous for using this spiritual technique
      and recommended it highly to his followers as he
      worked for justice using nonviolent principles.

      God, give me a word today for centering prayer.
      Bring me from sound into silence. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find