Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 5, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 5, 2006

      God will use your prayers

      "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness;
      for we do not know how to pray as we ought,
      but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too
      deep for words."
      Romans 8:26

      "Those who pray always are necessary to those who
      never pray."
      Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

      Just the other day, a friend mentioned she is
      reluctant to bother God with her little requests
      when the world needs God's attention with the big
      problems. Yet God is eager for us to pray. There
      is no such thing as a little prayer and this prayer
      thing is something with which we all struggle.

      As an Internet minister, I receive e-mail prayer
      requests from people around the world. People from
      Australia to Zimbabwe ask for prayers in war and
      peace, when in safety or in danger, for sick and
      dying loved ones, employment and educational needs,
      sharing deeply personal concerns for their children
      and for themselves.

      Prayer changes things. God listens when we pray.
      "Those who pray always are necessary to those who
      never pray," said Victor Hugo, and I add for those
      afraid to pray. But how do we get started? And
      for what should we be praying? When do we know
      when God hears and answers our prayers?

      Just as some people have personal trainers for
      physical fitness, God has given us the Holy Spirit
      as a personal trainer for our prayer lives. When
      we are unable to articulate our needs and burdens
      for others and ourselves, God's gracious Spirit
      intercedes for us with feelings so deep that words
      are unnecessary. Our prayers have amazing power
      when we allow the Spirit to guide us.

      It is good to bring the big world concerns to God.
      I often pray while listening to local and world news
      and when reading the newspaper and ministry e-mail.
      God is concerned about world hunger, tensions in the
      Middle East, and nuclear weapons. We are called to
      intercede on a global scale.

      It is also good to bring the neighborhood concerns
      to the Almighty such as the unemployed migrant
      workers on the corner who are waiting for sporadic
      employment, the nearby food bank, homeless runaway
      teens, drug dealers in the area, and for local
      victims of domestic violence. We need to pray for
      those who prey on others. Sometimes our prayers
      can even lead to civic involvement and action.

      It is also appropriate to pray for the little things
      that concern us too. I pray for kittens and puppies,
      for small issues and situations in my personal life
      and home, for daily blessings and divine protection
      for those I love.

      God is interested in the details of the day-to-day
      events in life. God delights in our small talk as
      well as our heartfelt intercessions for the world.
      The Spirit of God will honor our desire and
      willingness to pray. Just care enough to make
      the effort and you will sense when it is time to
      stop. God will use your prayers in amazing ways.

      Spirit of God, guide our prayers when we are weak
      and strong, with and without words. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find