Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 2

      1. A Prayer Honoring the Life of Coretta Scott King,
      by the Rev. Elder Darlene Garner (MCC)
      2. The Passing of Betty Berzon
      3. Two Lenten Studies
      4. May We Suggest "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"?
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quote:

      "My husband, Martin Luther King Jr., understood that
      all forms of discrimination and persecution were unjust
      and unacceptable for a great democracy. He believed
      that none of us could be free until all of us were free,
      that a person of conscience had no alternative but to
      defend the human rights of all people.... The civil
      rights movement that I believe in thrives on unity and
      inclusion, not division and exclusion. All of us who
      oppose discrimination and support equal rights should
      stand together to resist every attempt to restrict civil
      rights in this country."
      Coretta Scott King, Feb. 29, 2000

      1. A Prayer honoring the Life of Coretta Scott King,
      by the Rev. Elder Darlene Garner (MCC)

      Coretta Scott King: 1927 2006

      God of our weary years:

      The sun has set for another drum major for justice.
      So today we join our hearts with those of people
      around the world who grieve the passing of Coretta
      Scott King.

      We thank You for her uplifting ministry and courageous
      life. In a world too often filled with hatred and rancor
      of every sort, she was steadfast to the end in her faith
      that Your justice could roll down like water, and
      righteousness like a mighty stream.

      God of our silent tears:

      You have brought us, Your people, this far on the way.

      Yet together we acknowledge: We are still traveling the
      road that leads to justice. The struggle is notyet over.
      The destination is not yet reached. Ours is a journey
      that has just begun.

      Now that the voice of Coretta Scott King is silent, we
      pray that You will cause to rise up within each one of
      us a new voice that will sustain us on this journey.
      As Coretta walked with Martin, so allow us to journey
      together in our pursuit of justice.

      Give us, we pray, the courage to work hand-in-hand for
      equality.

      Give us, we pray, the compassion of a heart-to-heart
      connection in the struggle for human rights for all
      people.

      Even more, O God,

      We pray that we, like Coretta, will be:

      Wise enough ... to seek justice that is not just for us.

      Strong enough ... to lift others up as we rise.

      Humble enough ... to seek right relationship with one
      another. And with ourselves. And with You.

      So walk with us, Jesus.

      And let us walk on till victory is won.

      2. The Passing of Betty Berzon

      Chi Rho Press also mourns the passing of Betty Berzon,
      1928-2006, which we learned about from the Lambda
      Literary Foundation. Here is what they wrote:

      "Pioneer gay rights activist, psychotherapist, and
      writer, Betty Berzon died peacefully in her sleep on
      January 24, 2006. She was 78. Her tireless activism
      shaped the launch of numerous significant organizations
      that continue to impact and promote the well-being of
      the lesbian and gay community. She was architect and
      founder of Southern California Women for Understanding,
      as well as co-founder of the California Gay Academic
      Union.

      "She was a founding board chair of Gay and Lesbian
      Adolescent Social Services and board member of
      numerous gay and lesbian advocacy organizations,
      including the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center,
      where she developed a gay and lesbian peer counselor
      training program; Whitman-Radclyffe Foundation where
      she created the personal growth program that resulted
      in the book, "Positively Gay" (1979); National Gay
      Rights Advocates, the first public interest law firm
      to focus on gay rights, and the Community Guild, a
      groundbreaking effort to assist low-income gay and
      lesbian seniors. She was also producer of Gaythink,
      the first national conference to bring together gay
      and lesbian faculty and students.

      "In 1971, during a UCLA conference called "The
      Homosexual in America," Berzon became the first
      psychotherapist in the country to publicly declare
      herself as a gay mental health professional. Today,
      Division 44 of the American Psychological Association
      has more than 1,500 members.

      "An expert in small group process, Berzon worked with
      renowned researcher Evelyn Hooker to develop a series
      of encounter groups for gays and lesbians, called the
      Quest for Love. Later, she developed a series for Bell
      and Howell called The Encountertapes, a growth program
      for leaderless groups, which led to her first edited
      book, "Encounter Groups: First Facts."

      "Berzon practiced psychotherapy with groups and couples
      for the last twenty-five years of her life, during which
      time she also wrote four more books, including the
      perennial best-selling "Permanent Partners: Building
      Gay and Lesbian Relationships that Last "(1988); "The
      Intimacy Dance: A Guide to Long-Term Success in Gay and
      Lesbian Relationships" (1996); "Setting Them Straight:
      You CAN Do Something About Bigotry and Homophobia in
      Your Life" (1996); and "Surviving Madness: A Therapist's
      Own Story," which won the Lambda Literary Award for best
      autobiography in 2003.

      "Berzon is survived by her life partner of thirty-three
      years, Teresa DeCrescenzo, and is also survived by her
      sister, Dr. Stephanie Miller of Lancaster Ohio; step-
      mother, Trude Berzon of Des Moines Iowa and North Palm
      Beach, Florida; stepsister Barbara Kaplan of North Palm
      Beach, Florida; cousins Sidney, Shirley, Jerry, Sandy,
      Mary, Dan, and Abbe Wool; and eight nieces and nephews.

      "Funeral services and interment (were) held at Pierce
      Brothers Westwood Memorial Park … on Friday, January 27.
      A Celebration of Life will be held at the Omni Hotel,
      251 South Olive Street, on Sunday, February 26, at
      5:00 p.m.

      "Teresa DeCrescenzo has requested that in lieu of flowers
      or other tributes, donations be made in Betty's honor to
      the following organizations:

      "Gay and Lesbian Adolescent Social Services
      650 North Robertson Blvd.
      West Hollywood, CA, 90069
      www.glassla.org

      "Lambda Literary Foundation
      P.O. Box 1957
      Old Chelsea Station
      New York, NY, 10113
      www.lambdaliterary.org "

      Chi Rho Press founder and director Adam DeBaugh worked
      closely with Betty on the book "Positively Gay," and he
      wrote the chapter on individual lobbying of our
      representatives in government. "Positively Gay"
      continues to be available at Chi Rho Press for $14.85
      each ($12.70 each for six or more copies) plus shipping
      and handling, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevPositivelyGay.htm

      Adam says, "Betty Berzon was a pioneer in so many areas
      and a true saint in the LGBT community. I will miss her
      terribly and mourn her loss. Luckily we still have the
      groundbreaking book that she assembled almost 30 years
      ago, and Positively Gay remains among the many lasting
      tributes to this remarkable woman. I am proud to have
      been associated with Betty."

      3. Two Lenten Studies

      Lent begins on Wednesday, March 1, just a month away, and
      Chi Rho Press is very proud of our two books of Lenten
      devotions. Here is a description of each one.

      "'You Need Only To Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures
      to Journey Through Lent," by Randy Jedele. Spiral bound,
      5½" x 8½", 100 pages. A book of daily devotions for Lent,
      in which author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through
      the Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has drawn
      on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist background
      to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in new ways in these
      Lenten devotions. View it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm

      In "You Need Only to be Still," each of the 40 days of
      Lent, starting with Ash Wednesday, features a Hebrew
      Testament passage, followed by two questions for your
      consideration to bring the passage into our own lives.
      Then Randy provides his own "Thoughts for Meditating,"
      a few paragraphs reflecting on the ancient Bible story
      in which he offers some background information where it
      is needed and his own thoughts on the two questions.
      On the right hand page for each day in Lent there is
      space for the reader to write his or her own "Personal
      Reflections," an opportunity for the reader to respond
      and record thoughts and feelings. Each day concludes
      with a prayer, a personal moment between the reader
      and God. For each Friday, Randy has chosen a passage
      from the Psalms.

      The six Sundays of Lent in "You Need Only to be Still"
      have a very different format with two blank pages for
      each Sunday, one for "Reflections from the Past Week"
      and one for "Opportunities to Seek in the New Week."
      Randy writes, "I have chosen the Sunday format for a
      couple of reasons. First of all, I have chosen not
      to have a Scripture passage for Sundays because I did
      not want to interfere with the scripture passages
      used in the regular lectionary for the day. Secondly,
      it is my practice to do just as I have suggested on
      Sundays. I spend my devotional time on Sundays to
      reflect on the events of my past week and contemplate
      on opportunities that may lie before me in the new week.
      I think it is important for us to remind ourselves of
      the lessons we have learned, the joys we have known,
      and the pains that have pierced our hearts. It is
      also good for us to make plans for the days that come
      before us. Reflecting is truly a time of quiet
      meditation and being still before God."

      The title, "You Need Only to be Still," comes from
      Exodus 14:13-14, "Moses answered the people, 'Do not
      be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance
      the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see
      today you will never see again. The Lord will fight
      for you; you need only to be still.'" Randy Jedele
      writes, in the Introduction, "Too often we Christians
      ignore the Hebrew Scriptures and build our relationships
      with God on the New Testament. However, as I have
      journeyed through the Hebrew Scriptures through the
      years, I have always marked passages that spoke to me.
      It has not surprised me to discover a wealth of
      spiritual wisdom throughout the Hebrew Scriptures.
      It is my hope and prayer that those who use this
      devotional as they journey through Lent will also
      discover the richness of the God of the Hebrew
      Scriptures. Truly, there is much to be learned as
      we discover the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
      the God of Hannah, Ruth, and Esther, a God who was
      a powerful source in the lives of those who learned
      to seek the presence of the living God and to live
      in the stillness of God's grace."

      "Over and over, God calls us to be still, so that God
      can minister to our hearts and prepare us to journey
      each day as a new day. . . . I have envisioned that
      [this devotional] will mostly be a personally journey,
      a quiet time each day when the readers will, on their
      own, seek the stillness of God. . . . As you read,
      meditate, and pray through this devotional, may God
      bless and enrich your life. It is my prayer that
      each of you will find God in the stillness of your
      busy lives and that God will provide you with wisdom,
      fill you with peace, and shower you with love."

      We know you will be blessed by this book of devotions
      for Lent. You may order it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm
      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      Our first book of Lenten Meditations was "For
      Another Flock," written from a Gay Roman
      Catholic point of view. "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      Written out of the deep faith and learning of a
      gay practicing Roman Catholic and from a Catholic
      perspective, "For Another Flock" includes daily
      meditations for all the days of Lent and Holy Week,
      beginning with Ash Wednesday (which this year is Feb.
      9), and ending with Easter Sunday. Scripture readings
      are provided for every day in Lent and Holy Week
      followed by a reflection from a uniquely gay and
      Catholic point of view and a prayer.

      Following the daily meditations is a seven-week Lenten
      Bible Study Guide. Jeff Lea's introduction explores Lent
      as a penitential season, discussing penance and repentance.
      Each weekly Bible Study starts with a Gospel reading.
      There is a Lenten theme for each of the seven sessions.
      Week One is "An Ash Wednesday Ritual and Discussion of
      the Nature of Penance." Week Two is "The Nature of
      Temptation." Week Three is "The Meaning of Sin in our
      Lives." Week Four is "Faithfulness and Homosexuality."
      Week Five is "The Joy of Being Gay." Week Six is "The
      Meaning of Judgement." And the concluding session is
      "The Last Supper and the Mandatum" (New Commandment).

      Seven Appendices conclude the book: Solemnities and
      Feasts in Lent, Lectionary Cycle Calendar, The Books
      of the Old Testament of the Various Biblical Traditions,
      Small Group Study Guidelines, an Ash Wednesday Liturgy,
      a Maundy Thursday Liturgy, and a Bibliography.

      Jeff Lea writes, "Far too many gay women and men continue
      to view the primary Christian scripture, the Holy Bible,
      as a document hostile to people whose expression of
      intimate love is homosexual. Nothing can be further
      from the truth. While the Bible does condemn the
      ritualistic abuse of human sexuality it does not ever
      express a view of same-sex love as an abomination. In
      fact it affirms it in the love story of Jonathan and
      David.

      "The Bible's primary message is Love. To love God,
      ourselves, and each other as God has loved us. The
      Bible is not a handbook on how to hate sin. It is a
      transcript of the ongoing love story between God and
      the people of God.

      "Lent is the primary renewing and penitential season
      of the Church year. It is the time of personal
      examination and purification before we enter into the
      Paschal mystery on Easter Sunday. We are at the door
      to salvation during this time. Gay people are also at
      that door and we too have an experience of conversion
      and faith. These meditations present the point of view
      of a gay male Christian exploring the liminal experience
      of coming out gay, coming out Christian, and discovering
      affirmation in the Bible. The book provides both a
      daily meditation on the scriptural readings for Lent,
      and a seven-week group study that explores penance from
      a positive gay perspective."

      "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations and Study Guide
      for Lent" is spiral bound, 5 ½" x 8 ½", 104 pages, and
      sells for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      4. Have you Read "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"?

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck is remarkable for many reasons. From a
      publishing standpoint, it is our largest book to
      date with over 550 pages. And it is the fastest
      selling and most popular book Chi Rho Press has ever
      produced.

      The reasons for the popularity of "Steps" are clear.

      Dr. Truluck speaks the language of ordinary people of
      faith, his book is written in plain language that all
      can understand, and concentrates on the basics, God's
      creation, love, and redemption of ALL humanity.

      He has identified an important and lethal trend in the
      religious community, the tendency to be legalistic and
      judgmental and to use the faith and the Bible as a weapon
      to hurt people rather than a source of healing and love.

      Truluck concentrates on the Good News of the Bible, Good
      News that is for everyone, not just heterosexual white men.
      Too often LGBT commentators concentrate on defending their
      position that the Bible doesn't really say anything bad
      about homosexuality. This is true, and Dr. Truluck does
      devote four chapters to the pitifully few verses that have
      been used to condemn LGBT people. He effectively counters
      those who insist that the Bible condemns Gay people.

      But most of "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" doesn't
      dwell on a rebuttal to those who use the Bible to attack
      LGBT people, but rather concentrates on those many
      passages of the Holy Scripture which speak words of
      love, understanding, tolerance, and joy for God's
      lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and
      those who love them. Dr. Truluck proves that the Bible
      is our friend!

      Lastly, Dr. Truluck offers a 12 Step program to counteract
      a history of Bible abuse in effective and joyful ways.
      The 12 Steps, plus a concluding thirteenth step, lead
      people through the pain inflicted on us by misunderstanding
      of the Bible and legalistic, judgmental religion, and on
      into the peace of God's love and acceptance. "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse" leads people from hate to love,
      from fear to confidence, and from pain to joy. It is a
      remarkable journey!

      We invite you to take this journey with us! Buy "Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse" on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html
      using your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Self Presentation" from
      the Epiphany section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Mark 1:4, 9-11

      I once heard a preacher begin a sermon on this passage
      by suggesting that we would wonder why Jesus would have
      to be baptized since he was without sin. This made me
      think so much about having never wondered such a thing
      that I pretty much missed the rest of the sermon.

      If I had been there with John at the Jordan River in
      those days I may have been surprised at seeing Jesus
      arrive. I may have been awestruck at his presence, but
      I do not think I would have been surprised to see him
      get in line for baptism. Likewise, if Jesus were to
      worship with us, I would fully expect to see him go up
      and take communion.

      Our own experience has a lot to do with how we relate
      Jesus to our own lives. All of us have heard that
      baptism is to wash away our sins, but how much washing
      we think we need depends on how we view ourselves.
      That, in turn, depends on the signals we have gotten
      from others.

      To me it seems that the word sin is far overused. I
      am sure I have sinned, but I do not think of myself
      as a sinner. Others do, I suppose, but not the people
      who loved me in my formative years. I cannot believe
      that God thinks of us as sinners either. I just cannot
      think that God says, "Well, I had better check on how
      the sinners are doing."

      I know I am neglecting the concept of original sin from
      which some think even a newborn baby must be cleansed.
      I remember hearing older women in church and family
      asking in hushed tones when someone died, "Was he
      saved?" and seeing the sigh of relief when the answer
      was yes.

      For me baptism was presenting myself to God in front
      of a faith community who shared the commitment I was
      making. It was not a turning away from a sinful past
      life, but rather a milestone in a life that I had come
      to appreciate more fully as God-given and God-guided.
      Sin was simply not on my mind. I was looking toward
      the future and I think God was, too.

      That Jesus presented himself before God as he began a
      ministry that would change the world seems the most
      natural of acts to me. Jesus had nothing to turn away
      from, but certainly much to move toward. That God's
      voice was heard proclaiming, "You are my Son, the
      Beloved; with you I am well pleased," may have been
      miraculous, but it was as naturally motivated as our
      applause after one of our own comes up and is baptized.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2006
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Tues., Jan. 31, St. John Bosco (Patron saint: boys,
      editors). Love the children: We are called by Christ
      to love and care for children, not just our own, but
      others' as well. Love may call for strictness towards
      them, but that strictness must always be kind and never
      rough. "Anything that a child regards as a punishment
      may be used as such. A word of praise to one who
      deserves it, a word of rebuke to one who has forgotten
      himself, may often be a real reward or a real punishment,"
      St. John Bosco.

      Wed., Feb. 1, St. Ignatius of Antioch. Being one with
      Christ: St. Ignatius exhorted others and now us to
      develop a union with Christ. "I write to you while
      I am still alive, but longing for death. My Love has
      been crucified, and there is no desire of earthly
      things in me," St. Ignatius.

      Diversity Date: February is African-American History
      Month

      Thurs., Feb. 2, St. Francis Solano (Christ's Presentation
      at the Temple). Making peace: The first degree of
      virtue is to keep at peace with God; the second to
      keep peace with our neighbors; the third and most
      perfect is to make peace between those who are
      enemies and to do this for the sake of Christ, who
      is our peace. "When one's ways are pleasing to the
      Lord, one makes even enemies live at peace with one"
      (Proverbs 16:7).

      Fri., Feb. 3, St. Blaise (Patron saint: throat ailments).
      Healing: St. Blaise was a physician in Armenia before
      receiving his vocation. During his lifetime in the
      fourth century, the persecution of Christians was again
      undertaken. Blaise received a vision from God to escape
      into the hills. He was later found in a cave surrounded
      by sick animals he was tending. While awaiting his
      execution, he miraculously healed a young boy who was
      choking on a fish bone. St. Blaise is one of the
      Catholic Church's 14 "auxiliary saints" or holy helpers,
      who provide cures for various illnesses.

      Sat., Feb. 4, St. Joan of Valois. Praying three times
      daily: The sound of the bell calling St. Joan to prayer
      three times a day gave her hope amidst her sorrows and
      unhappiness. "As nothing was made without the Word, so
      nothing was remade without Mary, the mother of the Word,"
      St. Damasus.

      Sun., Feb. 5, St. Paul Miki. Be thankful for grace: If
      you are to keep the grace of God, you must be grateful
      when it is given and patient when it is taken away.
      You must pray that it may be given back to you and be
      careful and humble so that it is not lost again.

      Mon., Feb. 6, St. Titus. Sympathy for all: Christians
      bring others to the faith by their willingness to be
      sympathetic to all and by sharing their love of Christ
      with them. Titus was firm, respectful of others, and
      a patient man. He was also quick to detect and bring
      out in others all that was good in them. "Rejoice
      with those who persecute you; mourn with those who
      mourn. Live in harmony with one another" (Romans
      12:15-16).

      Tues., Feb. 7, St. Romuald. Making good out of bad:
      Romuald's life teaches us that if we follow the
      impulses of the Holy Spirit, we will only find good,
      even in the most unpleasant of circum-stances. Our
      own sins, the sins of others, their ill will against
      us, or our own mistakes and misfortunes, are equally
      capable of leading us to God's mercy, love, and
      forgiveness.

      Wed., Feb. 8, St. Jerome Emiliani (Patron saint: orphans).
      Love of Christ's little ones: St. Jerome's special love
      was for deserted and orphaned children. Let us learn
      from him to exert ourselves on their behalf. "The
      fatherless child is snatched from the breast, the
      infant of the poor is seized for a debt, lacking
      clothes they go naked, they carry sheaves, but still
      go hungry" (Job 24:9-10).

      Thurs., Feb. 9, St. John of Matha. Mercy: John was
      consecrated to God's service at his birth. Through
      several visions, he was told that he must devote
      himself to the redemption of captives and later
      founded the Order of the Holy Trinity. "Be merciful,
      even as your Creator is merciful" (Luke 6:36).

      Fri., Feb. 10, St. Scholastica (Patron saint: bad
      weather). Family: Very little is known about
      Scholastica apart from the fact that she was the
      sister of the great patriarch of monks, St. Benedict.
      She loved her brother dearly and would travel great
      distances every year to spend time with him and talk
      about God's graces and mercy. Our relations with
      our families must be of love for and in God.

      Sat., Feb. 11, St. Benedict of Aniane. Lukewarm
      fervor: Monastic discipline decayed because of
      undue severity, indulgence by superiors, and greed.
      St. Benedict's restoration of monastic life proved
      that none is safe from loss of fervor but that it
      can be regained by being faithful to grace. "Let
      us cast off this fatal lukewarmness which provokes
      God to reject us," St. Bernard.

      Sun., Feb. 12, St. Alexis Falconieri. Devotion to
      the Blessed Virgin: St. Alexis devoted his life to
      the founding of the Servants of Mary. The Servites
      work to spread the devotion to Mary's sorrows: the
      great grief she suffered at the sight of her son's
      crucifixion. "Then Simeon blessed them and said to
      Mary, 'this child is destined to cause the falling
      and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that
      will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of
      many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will
      pierce your own soul too'" (Luke 2:34).

      Mon., Feb. 13, St. Catherine dei Ricci. Pray for
      the dead: St. Catherine offered many prayers, fasts,
      and penances for a certain man whom she believed was
      in purgatory. Because of her love for all humanity
      she prayed to be allowed to suffer for all punishment
      that he had incurred. Her prayer was granted and for
      forty days she underwent great suffering. "Help the
      souls in purgatory by your prayers, deliver them by
      your good works," St. Albert the Great.

      Tues., Feb. 14, Bd. John Baptist of Almodovar.
      Stability: We need to beware of change for the
      sake of change as an illusion of a more perfect
      service to God. When we make capricious changes,
      we distrust God's providence and gratify our self-
      needs. "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters,
      stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give
      yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because
      you know that your labor in the Lord is not in
      vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58).

      Wed., Feb. 15, St. Raymond of Penyfort. Captives:
      Pray for protection from fearful servitude, which
      is worse than slavery that even one sinful habit
      tends to form. "An uncurbed will led to lust, and
      lust served became habit, and habit not resisted
      became necessity. By which links joined together
      (whence I called it a chain) a hard bondage held me
      enthralled," St. Augustine. "They promise them
      freedom, while they themselves are slaves of
      depravity for one is a slave to whatever has
      mastered one" (2 Peter 2:19).

      Thurs., Feb. 16, St. Gilbert of Sempringham. Having
      a good conscience: St. Gilbert teaches us that we
      need to care very little about the judgments of
      others if our consciences are at rest and pure in
      the sight of God. "Now this is our boast: our
      conscience testifies that we have conducted
      ourselves in the world, and especially in our
      relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity
      that are from God" (2 Corinthians 1:12).

      Fri., Feb. 17, St. Anastasius the Persian. Sign of
      the cross: Christ left the cross as the symbol of
      his religion. He seals our foreheads, our lips, and
      our hearts with this triumphant sign; with it we
      begin and end our days. "May I never boast except
      in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which
      the world has been crucified to me, and I to the
      world" (Galatians 6:14).

      Sat., Feb. 18, St. Flavian of Constantinople. Reverence
      for those in authority: "And David's line will continue
      forever and his throne endure before me like the sun; it
      will be established forever like the moon, the faithful
      witness in the sky" (Psalm 89:36-37).

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year B
      is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may view it and
      order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for 11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      We mourn the loss of Betty Berzon (please see story number
      2), who was a good friend and a role model. The book she
      assembled and edited, "Positively Gay," in which I had a
      small part to play, writing one of the chapters, is still
      in the Chi Rho Press catalog. If you do not yet own this
      book, I encourage you to buy it today.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevPositivelyGay.htm

      *****

      There are some wonderful tapes and CDs of good
      Christian music available at www.ChiRhoPress.com.
      Please visit!

      *****

      Please check out the Chi Rho Cards! Our line of
      greeting cards, by the talented New York artist Timothy
      Leetch, are now available. See the descriptions of the
      cards on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com