Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 29, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 29, 2006

      Costly discipleship

      "And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I will make
      you become fishers of people.'"
      Mark 1:17

      I have a confession. As a minister I have not always
      practiced what I preach. There have been times in my
      life when I have been very human, bemoaning financial
      concerns. Once a friend cared enough to reprimand me
      as I voiced these concerns. "What's wrong with you?
      Are you in the ministry to make money and a comfortable
      living? If so, you are in the wrong business! If I
      read the text correctly, Jesus said, 'Follow me.' The
      disciples who dropped their nets and livelihood did
      not ask for a compensation package!" My friend mused,
      "Isn't there a story about a widow giving a penny or
      two? Didn't Jesus say she gave more than the
      millionaires?"

      My spiritual lapse reminds me of the time when my
      family and I attended the play Fiddler on the Roof.
      It is about a very poor Russian peasant family.
      During the play, a question is asked, "Lord, I know
      there is nothing wrong in being a poor man. But
      would it spoil a vast eternal plan if I were a
      wealthy man?"

      I was stricken. I had forgotten a basic reality
      about costly discipleship. Spiritual rebirth costs
      nothing. Discipleship, that is, following Jesus,
      sometimes calls us to sacrificial service. My
      calling is to be a faithful and devoted follower
      of Jesus Christ. I was not called to riches.
      Christ came in poverty. Who am I to demand comfort,
      security, and affluence? My first love for God had
      become tainted with envy for money, comfort, status,
      and job security. I confess these things. God has
      always provided generously. I have food, shelter,
      health, and people who cherish me. I can be secure
      in knowing people do not love me for my money or
      income earning potential!

      The apostle Paul had something to say about true
      wealth, "For you know the generous act of our Lord
      Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your
      sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty you
      might become rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9). I need to
      ponder this verse. For my sake, Christ became very
      poor, so that I may become very rich in God. You
      have heard my story. What does this mean in your
      life?

      Help me, dear God, to count my blessings today and
      be thankful for your simple abundance and care.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find