Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 15, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 15, 2006

      Till death do us part

      "But Ruth said, 'Entreat me not to leave you or to
      return from following you; for where you go I will
      go, and where you lodge I will lodge; your people
      shall be my people, and your God my God; where you
      die I will die, and there will I be buried. May
      the LORD do so to me and more also if even death
      parts me from you.'"
      Ruth 1:1617

      The legacy of Ruth and Naomi lives on wherever
      women struggle to survive in patriarchal societies
      where men hold the power of life and death. Perhaps
      their most significant legacy, however, is found in
      their powerful commitment towards each other in the
      face of bereavement, hunger, and poverty. These
      courageous women chose to become a nontraditional
      family based on loving choice, when the odds were
      against their survival.

      Today's Bible verses are famous and popularly used
      for heterosexual marriage vows. But originally the
      spoken words of commitment were between these two
      remarkable women. Their ancient love story was
      lived thousands of years ago, yet it offers us
      timeless insights about love and devotion for any
      millennium. God blessed their love and so did their
      local community and neighbors. Devoted couples
      from all sexual orientations can express their
      love, fidelity, and devotion through these
      cherished words of commitment.

      Ruth and Naomi bless us with their family values.
      Their loving words and actions are a standard I
      would like for my own family. Two hearts beating
      as one. Through sickness and in health, for better
      or worse, in riches or poverty, till death do us
      part. Hate was not their family value. Love was
      their priority and guided everything they did.
      Their love came from God and was repeatedly blessed
      and publicly affirmed.

      The Bible tells us "there is nothing new under the
      sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9c). Over the centuries people
      have loved deeply. Some people love through
      "traditional" marriages and others in "nontraditional"
      marriages. Love is a beautiful part of life. The
      apostle Paul reminds us that "the best is love" (1
      Corinthians 13:13).

      Could Ruth and Naomi be a lesbian couple? I doubt
      it, although some would disagree. Yet the scriptures
      offer a blessed sacred ambiguity inviting seekers of
      all sexual orientations to find a place at the table
      of God through Ruth's timeless words of loving
      commitment.

      God, bless us all with the love and commitment,
      loyalty and faithfulness of Ruth and Naomi. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find