Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 1, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 1, 2006

      Beloved

      "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is
      from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows
      God."
      1 John 4:7

      Welcome to a new year with all its promise and
      potential. If I could give you only one word for
      the year, it would be "beloved." The late Henri
      Nouwen wrote, "Being the Beloved expresses the
      core truth of our existence." (Nouwen, Henri.
      "Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a
      Secular World," p. 28.) But how do we live as
      the Beloved? I think my grandmother might have
      had an answer.

      If I listed the ten people who have most influenced
      my life, my grandmother would be at the top of that
      list. It was Voltaire who noted that common sense
      is not so common. Common sense was my grand-mother's
      great virtue, in addition to her hearty sense of
      humor. Her favorite saying was "One day at a time,
      dear Lord, one day at a time." She would often
      remind me to "keep looking up!" Her spiritual
      wisdom and common sense have stayed with me for
      more than forty years.

      Grandma was a courageous woman who came to North
      America from Norway with her family during the
      Great Depression. She never had the opportunity
      to finish grammar school. She was well acquainted
      with sorrow, having buried her first-born on her
      first Christmas Day in a new country. Grandma's
      marriage lasted seventy-two years. When she prayed,
      God listened!

      I lived with her and Grandpa during my early
      seminary career. Together we cared for my mother
      as she struggled with breast cancer. We also
      cared for Grandpa during this difficult time.
      He was both speechless and paralyzed from a
      series of strokes. Every evening Grandma would
      prepare him for bed. Before sleeping, she would
      sit at his bedside, hold his hand and pray for
      all her family by name. And she would softly
      sing, "One day at a time, dear Lord, one day
      at a time. Help me keep looking up." She was
      living as the Beloved.

      Usually New Year's resolutions are broken or
      forgotten within days. But if you want this
      year to be different from all others, commit
      yourself to an experiment with God for the next
      365 days. Use the word "beloved" as your
      centering breath prayer and mantra. Let this
      word grow into two words, quietly breathing in
      the word "be," while exhaling the word "loved."
      Invite these words to become your daily prayer.
      Do this and your life will be transformed. And
      keep looking up.

      God, bless me as your beloved child. Help me be
      loved this year with every breath. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find