Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VI, No. 19

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2005

      Vol. VI, No. 19

      1. Bad Back Delays Publication
      2. 2006 Liturgical Calendar
      3. Have you started your Christmas shopping?
      4. "Christian with a Twist"
      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quotes:

      "Unattended Children Will be Given an Espresso
      and a Free Puppy."
      Sign in a Gift Shop Window.

      1. Bad Back Delays Publication

      We are sorry for the delay in this edition of the Chi
      Rho Connection. Director Adam DeBaugh fell victim to
      a ruptured disk in his back on Friday, Nov. 4, and has
      been laid up ever since. He is beginning to get back
      on his feet, though still in some pain. The back injury
      happened at Adam's secular job and he is covered by
      workman's compensation.

      Adam is getting around a bit better now, but it is
      difficult to sit at the computer for longer than 30
      to 45 minutes. Please keep Adam in your prayers for
      a swift and complete recovery.

      2. 2006 Liturgical Calendar

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year B
      is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may view it and
      order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for 11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the ecumenical
      consensus on readings for each Sunday and holy day in the
      three-year cycle. Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with
      useful information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church
      Year. It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone using
      the Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat for
      easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these sections:
      A Heading that identifies the day in the church year (for
      example, the first Sunday of Advent, or Proper 20) with
      alternative descriptions where appropriate. The Revised
      Common Lectionary readings, including a brief summary of
      each reading. (These are intended as only a very brief
      overview to identify general themes as an aid to worship
      planning. We do not represent them as anything approaching
      a thorough exegesis.) The First Reading is usually from
      the Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as
      the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.
      These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the
      Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read
      through key passages over a series of weeks. This is
      followed by a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle
      Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading
      typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the Christmas
      and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of Jesus the rest
      of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience, and
      Special Events for the week which the congregation may
      want to remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship Planning
      section, which serve to explain in more detail information
      about the time of the church year, provide resources for
      further study and information, and develop liturgical
      themes to make your worship experience more rich and
      meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn, a former Roman Catholic priest (before
      her transition). For every day of the year, Raye-Anne
      gives us a traditional saint, with a brief overview of
      an important theme for which the saint is remembered
      and what that particular saint can teach us. Some
      Diversity Dates are also included, special occasions
      for celebrations of diversity, such as special celebration
      days for specific cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and
      special days for the GLBT community (e.g., a day of
      remembrance for Matthew Shepard).

      As a special added section, we have included alternative
      readings for the four Sundays of Pride-Tide (June) prepared
      by the Rev. Gordon McCoy. The four sets of readings for
      Pride-Tide may be used at any time in the year that the
      faith community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included for the
      four Sundays in June as well.

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful aid
      for anyone involved in planning worship, as well as a
      useful resource for all who want to know more about the
      Church year and the rich liturgical life of the Church
      Universal. We think you will like this new Liturgical
      Calendar.

      Order the 2006 Calendar at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      3. Have you started your Christmas shopping?

      Believe it or not, Christmas is a little over a month
      away. Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

      What if we could point you to a store that is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping within the United States is free for orders
      over $100! Of course, we are talking about our own
      Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, Living as the Beloved,
      Christian with a Twist, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      two different Lenten studies, Come Home!, Called OUT!,
      Positively Gay, My Memory Book, the new 2006 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, The Road to Emmaus, and
      Together in Love are all available and ready to ship.

      Plus we have audio and video tapes, CDs, five different
      stained glass designs, rainbow key chains and
      bracelets, and more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      4. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Suffering"
      from the Ordinary Time section of "Christian with a
      Twist."

      Please read Romans 5:1-5

      There is something about a Christian that loves to
      suffer. Or maybe we just like to talk about suffering.
      Jesus bore our sins on the cross, but have you not
      noticed how we just love to pick them up and carry them
      around some more. Oh, and there ain't no cross like the
      cross we bear. Well, the one Jesus bore we do grant him
      that. Thank God we have a little humility.

      Jesus willingly suffered, but he did not want to. Even
      he asked God to take the cup from him if it be possible.
      It was not possible. The sins of the world were too great.
      Sin causes suffering, there is no doubt about it and often
      for the innocent.

      Paul suffered, too, though you would think that he also
      enjoyed a certain kind of glory. One would hope that he
      felt joy, as our pastor is always reminding us to do, but
      that is hard to detect in his writings.

      Many people before and after Jesus have suffered because
      of their religion. Religious persecution is no laughing
      matter, and just about every religion has suffered it and
      inflicted it upon others. I do not know if other religions
      preach going forth in joy or loving your neighbor. I know
      that we Christians need to work on both.

      In Mark 10:14, in the King James Bible, Jesus says, "Suffer
      the little children to come unto me. . . ." I was reminded
      of this the other day when I watched a mother walking down
      the street with a toddler a few steps behind just crying
      and sobbing as she stumbled along. The mother knew nothing
      was really wrong and was just letting her cry it out.

      Maybe Jesus is like that mother. We tag along crying like
      we have been hurt. He just leads on, knowing that if we
      are really suffering some calamity we will probably change
      our tune. Children can be such a pain in the butt. They
      are a lot more fun when they laugh and play even their
      silly games. Jesus probably thinks that about us as well.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Tues., Nov. 15, St. Winifred. Prayers of the Saints:
      "The prayers of the saints have mighty power to help our
      need; but they are specially effective when we help
      ourselves by doing penance, and seek to obtain what we
      ask by striving after better things," St. John Chrysostom.

      Sat., Nov. 19, St. Gregory the Wonder Worker. Devotion
      to the second "Eve:" "The chain of Eve's disobedience was
      broken by Mary's obedience. That which Eve bound by her
      unbelief, Mary set free by her faith. Mary became the
      advocate of Eve. The cunning of the serpent was worsted
      by the simplicity of the dove," St. Irenaeus.

      Sun., Nov. 20, St. Edmund the Martyr. Patience in adversity:
      St. Edmund's example endures! In prosperity he lived to do
      God's will and therefore in adversity he still answered when
      called on by that holy will to suffer. Learn from him to
      accept all sufferings as from the hands of God.

      Mon., Nov. 21, St. Hugh of Lincoln. Moral courage: St.
      Hugh's greatest lesson for us is that the presence of God
      in church through all times has been sustained and made
      invincible by the constancy of the pastors and lay people.
      If God be with us, who can be against us?

      Tues., Nov. 22, St. Cecily. Joy in Christ's service: St.
      Cecily teaches us to rejoice and be happy in every sacrifice
      we make as a pledge and sign of our love of Christ. If we
      welcome everything that comes our way, both good and bad,
      and use it as learning tools, it hastens our union with
      Christ.

      Wed., Nov. 23, St. Clement I. Respect for clergy: "Those
      who abide in obedience to the clergy inherit honor and glory
      from God, who exalts them and writes them in the book of
      God's memorial for ever and ever," St. Clement. "Obey your
      leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over
      you as people who must give an account. Obey them so that
      their work will be a joy, not a burden" (Hebrews 13:17).

      Thurs., Nov. 24, Thanksgiving (U.S.A.)

      Fri., Nov. 25, St. Catherine of Alexandria (Patron saint:
      preachers). Constancy: The constancy displayed by the
      saints cannot be isolated from their previous lives (before
      becoming saints), but is their natural sequence. If we
      wish to emulate their perseverance, we must first learn
      to be faithful to grace.

      Sat., Nov. 26, St. Leonard of Port Maurice. The way of
      the cross: If you are to advance from virtue to virtue,
      from grace to grace, from good to better, meditate daily,
      and with all the devotion you can muster. "Consider
      Christ who endured such opposition from sinful ones, so
      that you will not grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:4).

      Sun., Nov. 27, St. John Berchmans. Faithfulness in little
      things: John's way was to "set great store on little
      things" and this like another of his sayings, "speak
      little, do much" shows how in so uneventful and short
      a life he became so great a man and saint. Nothing was
      of small importance to him that had to do with God.

      Diversity Date :Commemoration: Harvey Milk

      Mon., Nov. 28, Bd. Cuthbert Mayne. The Lamb of God: The
      martyrs teach us that no matter how weak and distrustful
      of yourself you may be, you can suffer for Christ's sake
      and by suffering win your crown. "In time of persecution,
      the world closes in on us, but heaven opens; Antichrist
      threatens, but Christ defends; death comes, but everlasting
      life follows," St. Cyprian.

      Tues., Nov. 29, St. Andrew the Apostle. Self-sacrifice:
      Tradition holds that Andrew was crucified; it also says
      that when he saw the cross on which he was to die, he
      exclaimed, "O good cross, made beautiful by Christ's
      body, you are welcome! Receive me and present me to
      my Master, that He who redeemed me through you may now
      accept me from you." He remained on the cross two days
      preaching to all who passed by.

      Wed., Nov. 30, St. Eligius (Patron saint: prisoners,
      jewelers). Sacred relics: A former goldsmith, he
      created many sacred relics for many saints. "When
      God calls the saints to God's-self, God might, did God
      so please, take their bodies also; but God wills to
      leave them in our charge, for our help and consolation."
      Be careful to follow St. Eligius in his respect for
      sacred things.

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      I apologize for the delay in getting this edition of the
      Chi Rho Connection out, and for missing the last couple
      of weeks of the Chi Rho Reflection. As you read in the
      first article, a ruptured disk has pretty much kept me
      in pain and out of commission for two weeks. The
      discomfort is lessening and I hope to continue to heal
      and get stronger. Please keep me in your prayers.

      *****

      We are excited about the production of the Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary for the 2005-2006 church year,
      Year B in the reckoning of the Revised Common Lectionary.
      Please order your copy today!

      *****

      Of course, with Christmas just a little over one month
      away, it is not too early to start doing your holiday
      shopping at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com
      We never close!

      *****

      There are some wonderful tapes and CDs of good
      Christian music available at www.ChiRhoPress.com.
      Please visit!

      *****

      Please check out the Chi Rho Cards! Our line of
      greeting cards, by the talented New York artist Timothy
      Leetch, are now available. See the descriptions of the
      cards on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com