Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VI, No. 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005

      Vol. VI, No. 18

      1. 2006 Liturgical Calendar
      2. Acceptance, Tolerance, Intolerance, and Bigotry
      3. From the Editor's Cave
      4. Have you started your Christmas shopping?
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quotes:

      "Idolatry is committed not merely by setting up false
      gods, but also by setting up false devils."
      G. K. Chesterton

      "Beware lest we mistake our prejudices for our
      convictions."
      Harry A. Ironside

      1. 2006 Liturgical Calendar

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year B
      is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may view it and
      order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for 11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the ecumenical
      consensus on readings for each Sunday and holy day in the
      three-year cycle. Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with
      useful information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church
      Year. It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone using
      the Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat for
      easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these sections:
      A Heading that identifies the day in the church year (for
      example, the first Sunday of Advent, or Proper 20) with
      alternative descriptions where appropriate. The Revised
      Common Lectionary readings, including a brief summary of
      each reading. (These are intended as only a very brief
      overview to identify general themes as an aid to worship
      planning. We do not represent them as anything approaching
      a thorough exegesis.) The First Reading is usually from
      the Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as
      the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.
      These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the
      Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read
      through key passages over a series of weeks. This is
      followed by a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle
      Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading
      typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the Christmas
      and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of Jesus the rest
      of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience, and
      Special Events for the week which the congregation may
      want to remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship Planning
      section, which serve to explain in more detail information
      about the time of the church year, provide resources for
      further study and information, and develop liturgical
      themes to make your worship experience more rich and
      meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn, a former Roman Catholic priest (before
      her transition). For every day of the year, Raye-Anne
      gives us a traditional saint, with a brief overview of
      an important theme for which the saint is remembered
      and what that particular saint can teach us. Some
      Diversity Dates are also included, special occasions
      for celebrations of diversity, such as special celebration
      days for specific cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and
      special days for the GLBT community (e.g., a day of
      remembrance for Matthew Shepard).

      As a special added section, we have included alternative
      readings for the four Sundays of Pride-Tide (June) prepared
      by the Rev. Gordon McCoy. The four sets of readings for
      Pride-Tide may be used at any time in the year that the
      faith community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included for the
      four Sundays in June as well.

      The 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful aid
      for anyone involved in planning worship, as well as a
      useful resource for all who want to know more about the
      Church year and the rich liturgical life of the Church
      Universal. We think you will like this new Liturgical
      Calendar.

      Order the 2006 Calendar at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The 2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      2. Acceptance, Tolerance, Intolerance, and Bigotry

      Our friend Ninure Saunders from Chicago, Illinois, USA,
      sent this recently. We think it is a good illustration
      of the differences between acceptance, tolerance,
      intolerance, and bigotry. What do you think? We share
      it with you with Ninure's kind permission.

      Acceptance: There are peas on my plate. Peas are not
      my first choice to eat when I am humgry, but I eat them.

      Tolerance: There are peas on my plate. I don't care
      for peas, I am not that hungry, so I leave them alone.

      Intolerance: There are peas on my plate. I HATE peas.
      I hurl the plate on the floor and jump and down on the
      peas. I try to file criminal charges against the person
      who cooked the peas.

      Bigotry: There are peas on my plate. Not only do I
      hate peas, I hate the people who cook them, who grow
      them, and anyone who likes them. I spend a great deal
      of my time trying to outlaw peas, and deprive anyone
      who grows or likes them of their human rights. I
      proclaim that anyone who has anything to do with peas
      hates God, abuses children, and is a terrorist.

      3. From the Editor's Cave
      By Adam DeBaugh

      [This article is the second of a series published
      in the "Epi-Grams," the newsletter of the health
      studies area of Westat. Adam is the editor of
      "Epi-Grams." Since "Epi-Grams" is only published
      quarterly, the next in this series will not be
      available until December.]

      "Do you know the difference between a terrorist and
      an editor? You can negotiate with a terrorist."

      Well, I'm back. I didn't get fired for the last
      edition of Epi-Grams and the first of these very
      personal screeds "From the Editor's Cave," so here
      we are with another one. This time I want to
      reflect a bit on civility, beginning with business
      e-mails.

      I was told recently that we don't start e-mails
      with a Salutation, as in "Dear Mr. DeBaugh."

      Since when?

      Oh, I suppose I can parrot all the arguments:
      "Dear" is too personal. E-mails are by their
      nature informal. E-mails should also be short
      and adding a Salutation adds to the unwanted
      length. Business e-mails are different from
      business letters. I just don't have the time
      to type all that. Uh huh.

      Again I say, "Since when?"

      I react most strongly to a couple of theses notions.

      First, that the use of the word "Dear" in a
      Salutation is too personal, even intimate.
      Again the refrain, "SINCE WHEN?" I'll be
      happy to stipulate that should one begin an
      e-mail, "My Dear Adam," what follows better
      be a love letter, and not one containing that
      old "I Love You" virus! But every source book
      I know says that business letters begin with
      the Salutation, "Dear Mr. DeBaugh" or the more
      informal "Dear Adam" (unless of course you are
      writing to someone with a different name!).

      When used in a business letter Salutation, "Dear"
      is not a personal or intimate formulation. It is
      common courtesy. Yes, it's rather OLD common
      courtesy. I will stipulate that. But you know
      that I am rather old fashioned, especially when
      it comes to our common language. I am the guy
      you may occasionally run into in the halls darkly
      muttering, "Where are standards?" and other
      imprecations and scowling with a forbidding look.
      It is possible that you were the one who made some
      egregious grammatical error or are guilty of an
      especially annoying linguistic tic that got my
      ire up. (Perhaps you said, "At the end of the
      day" in conversation!)

      But courtesy is still courtesy, even when contained
      in an e-mail.

      The second notion is that business e-mails are
      informal creatures and not subject to the basic
      norms of politeness and civility. Well. Why is
      that? Why do we sink to the lowest common
      denominator with our language and our manners
      simply because we are communicating via electronic
      mail?

      Why has e-mail been relegated to the realm of the
      excruciatingly informal, the casual, the flip, and
      the semi-literate? Why do our standards slip simply
      because we are using a rather instantaneous
      communication devise?

      My great fear is that our standards have not slipped
      at all, but this is the level of written communication
      to which our culture and our society has sunken. If
      that is the case, to quote Mr. Thomas Jefferson,
      "Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that
      God is just." Yes, e-mail is fast: fast to write,
      fast to send, fast to receive. And I am too often
      guilty of not proof reading more carefully before
      hitting the Send key, or being more sloppy than usual
      with my grammar, or making the mistake of letting Mr.
      Gates' pernicious Spell Check take over and decide
      what my e-mails should say.

      But is that the people we want to be? Is that the
      kind of culture we wants to promulgate? Is that who
      we are, as individuals, as professionals, as a company?

      So I am sorry, but e-mails begin, as do all polite
      business communications, with a properly worded
      Salutation. And for e-mails sent outside of Westat,
      "Hi Adam" does not qualify. Nor do we immediately
      launch into the body of our communication. It's like
      not saying "Good morning" when you first see a co-worker.
      But wait, we do that as well!

      Here's the bottom line for me: it really doesn't take
      that much time to type "Dear Adam," or to say, "Good
      morning," or even to ask about each other's health,
      or how the weekend was. Oh yes, I know, I can hear
      some of you saying, "I'm too busy for that." Yes, too
      busy for a few seconds of the niceties, a bare moment
      of politeness, a shred of basic human concern. You are
      SO important, SO busy. I understand. I really do.
      (Can you feel the sarcasm dripping off the chin?)

      Yet I say, if you are too busy to care about your co-
      workers, too busy for some basic manners, then you are
      simply too busy. And to quote a wise and wonderful
      woman of my acquaintance, "You need to get over your
      cheap self!"

      Informality is not a bad thing. I still bridle when
      some barely literate caller from some company manages
      to get through my telephonic defenses and begins by
      calling me "Adam" right off. I'm sorry, but do I
      know you? Have you been given my permission to use
      my first name? Were you not taught to address
      strangers by their last names, especially older
      people? Where are standards?

      I believe that informality can and has degenerated
      into a slovenliness and a lack of manners and courtesy,
      both in the written and the spoken word. We are
      downright rude. Is that who we want to be?

      My concern is that the lack of civility in the little
      things gradually escalates into a lack of civility in
      the greater things of life, and that results in a
      breakdown of civil society and the body politic. Do
      you think it is your right to simply cut in on a line
      of cars waiting patiently at a highway exit? Is it
      appropriate to apply your makeup or shave your surly
      face while driving to work? Is it considerate to be
      braying into your cell phone while waiting at the
      doctor's office or on line at the Giant or in other
      public spaces? (And do NOT get me started on the
      moral ciphers who chat away on their cell phones
      while driving, zipping in and out of traffic! More
      and more sensible jurisdictions are making the use
      of a cell phone while driving illegal.)

      Somehow it has become acceptable to inconvenience,
      delay, and even endanger others in our quest for
      speed, for our own convenience, for our own selfish
      ends. Is that who we want to be?

      My point is that the lack of civility, of common
      courtesy, of simple manners does not take that much
      time out of our busy lives, and improves the quality
      of life for those around us and for ourselves. We
      need to get back to civility! You may begin by
      addressing your caviling e-mails of protestation
      and complaint, with the Salutation, "Dear Adam."

      Here endeth the lesson.

      4. Have you started your Christmas shopping?

      What if we could point you to a store that is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping within the United States is free for orders
      over $100! Of course, we are talking about our own
      Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, Living as the Beloved,
      Christian with a Twist, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      two different Lenten studies, Come Home!, Called OUT!,
      Positively Gay, My Memory Book, the new 2006 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, The Road to Emmaus, and
      Together in Love are all available and ready to ship.
      Plus we have audio and video tapes, CDs, five different
      stained glass designs, rainbow key chains and
      bracelets, and more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send
      your check with a note indicating that you are buying
      a Gift Certificate and we will make up an attractive
      Gift Certificate for the amount of your check for you
      to give along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Demons" from the
      Ordinary Time section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Luke 8:26-39

      Jesus could walk into any major city in our society
      and quickly run into men and women similar to the
      demoniac in today's scripture passage. Some of them
      have had the experience of being bound or shut away,
      and are afraid of those who would dare to approach to
      help them. The institutions where we used to lock
      them away have been largely emptied, but the people
      remain now scattered throughout our cities with their
      shopping carts of belongings.

      Our street people are rarely naked, but they are often
      clothed in filthy rags. They smell, they urinate out
      in public, and they frighten us. Are we afraid that
      the demons that dwell in them might come into our own
      herd? Demons do have a way of affecting the masses.
      As Christians and good people we desire to help, but
      not to get too close. Our own leaders, shepherds,
      and swineherds offer programs, even faith-based ones,
      to funnel our tax dollars to help these poor souls;
      after a part of the surplus is returned to us, of
      course.

      We want to help, but we do not want our Jesus associating
      too closely with these people. We are not comfortable
      seeing them sitting at his feet. We do not really want
      them in our sanctuaries church basements and weekdays
      are better times and places for our faith-based
      initiatives. But not to worry. Jesus has not come
      by in awhile, and few if any of our street people are
      going about proclaiming the blessings they have received
      from his followers.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Mon., Oct. 31, St. Bademus. Fear: There can be no
      peace or happiness except in the service of God; those
      who desert this blessed service open the floodgates of
      misery. "What benefit did you reap at that time from
      the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result
      in death!" (Romans 6:21).

      Tues., Nov. 1, All Saints Day. Remembrance of the dead:
      The feast celebrated today is one of the greatest of the
      church's festivals. "Let us turn to the martyrs and
      saints and call upon them to be our protectors not only
      on their festivals but at other times; for they can be
      bolder of speech in death than when they lived, since
      they now bear in their bodies the marks of Jesus Christ,"
      St. John Chrysostom.

      Diversity Date: November is Native American Heritage Month.
      November is also National Diabetes Awareness Month.

      Wed., Nov. 2, St. Martin de Porres (Patron saint:
      beauticians, African Americans, racial harmony).
      Charity and kindness: St. Martin is the first of
      the African American saints. The example of Martin's
      life is ample evidence that we can strive for holiness
      and salvation as Christ Jesus has shown us: first, by
      loving God "with all your heart, with all your soul,
      and with all your mind; and second, by loving your
      neighbor as yourself."

      Diversity Date: November 2 is All Souls Day

      Thurs., Nov. 3, St. Malachy of Armagh. Pray for those
      who have gone before us: St. Malachy teaches us that
      we must remember in our prayers not only our own needs
      and those we know who have died and the departed faithful,
      but all the dead whenever, where ever: these are the
      multitudes who have no one to remember them.

      Fri., Nov. 4, St. Charles Borromeo (Patron saint:
      seminarians). Daily renewal: Daily resolutions to
      fulfill, come what ever may, every duty asked by God,
      is the lesson taught by St. Charles. It is a lesson
      we must learn if we are to overcome our weaknesses
      and lead upright lives.

      Sat., Nov. 5, St. Albert the Great (Patron saint:
      medical technicians). The material creation: The
      material creation is God's handiwork no less than the
      immaterial creation. God may be known in the beauty,
      order, and wonders of all nature, which glorifies God
      and can lead us to God. Study and the use of the
      material creation, or science, is an activity highly
      befitting Christians and to delight in and thank God
      for that creation is a Christian obligation.

      Sun., Nov. 6, St. Stanislaus Kostka. Patron saints:
      St. Stanislaus teaches us that in every trial life
      sends our way, and above all at the hour of our death,
      to ask the prayers of our patron saint and to trust
      fearlessly in their aid. "But the eyes of the Lord
      are on the righteous and God's ears are attentive to
      their cry; the face of the Lord is against those who
      do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth"
      (Psalm 34:15-16).

      Mon., Nov. 7, St. Willibrord. Zeal: True zeal has
      its roots in the love of God. It is therefore kind
      and tactful, not fanatical or bigoted. It can never
      be idle; it must labor, toil, be up and doing. It
      glows like fire, and like fire it can spread endlessly.
      This is the spirit that should be within us. "I have
      come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it
      were already kindled!" (Luke 12:49).

      Tues., Nov. 8, St. Oswald of Northumbria. Perseverance
      in prayer: St. Oswald recovered his kingdom with the
      help of prayer! He converted his subjects to
      Christianity and attained great holiness, all through
      the power and perseverance of prayer. If we prayed
      more, how much more would be given to us and what
      great ends we could achieve!

      Wed., Nov. 9, St. Theodore of Tiro. Constancy and
      courage: As Christians we are all enlisted in the
      same service as the martyrs of old, we fight under
      the same banner of the same victorious ruler; and
      we too must have courage and constancy if we would
      be good soldiers of Christ. Let us join with them
      in confessing the faith of Christ, that we too may
      have a part with them in Christ's kingdom.

      Thurs., Nov. 10, St. Andrew Avellino. Preparation
      for death: St. Andrew is one of the saints invoked
      against sudden death. He was able to receive the
      last sacraments before he died, which many people
      cannot because they have put them off until too late.
      A good life, the last anointing, and viaticum (last
      communion prior to death) ensure a good death.

      Fri., Nov. 11, St. Martin of Tours. Working for
      Christ: It is written that Satan once appeared to
      St. Martin in royal garb, representing himself to
      be the son of God. "My Savior did not come in
      princely state. Where are the print of the nails
      and the scars of the wounds?" asked the saint.
      The fiend vanished. It was for Christ crucified
      that Martin worked. Are you working for the same
      Lord?

      Sat., Nov. 12, St. Didacus. The gift of speech:
      If God is in your heart, then surely God will be
      on your lips also, for Christ has said, "Out of
      the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."

      Sun., Nov. 13, St. Frances Xavier Cabrini. Refusal
      to be discouraged: St. Frances Cabrini is the first
      American to be canonized. In the difficulties with
      which we have to contend we must arm ourselves with
      courage, which consists not only in making the most
      of good things, but also of the outfacing and
      overcoming of the obstacles in our way, with the
      help of God, that is always at hand.

      Mon., Nov. 14, St. Josaphat. Suffering for the
      Church: St. Josaphat Kunsevich, like St. Thomas
      Becket, died for Christ by dying for His church, the
      one for her unity and the other for her freedom. Do
      we remember to thank God that in our country the
      Church enjoys complete freedom, both to live her
      life and to extend her membership?

      Tues., Nov. 15, St. Winifred. Prayers of the Saints:
      "The prayers of the saints have mighty power to help
      our need; but they are specially effective when we
      help ourselves by doing penance, and seek to obtain
      what we ask by striving after better things," St.
      John Chrysostom.

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      The Installation of the Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson as
      Moderator of the Metropolitan Community Churches was
      last Saturday. It was a magnificent event! Our
      Moderator is like a Presiding Bishop and is the
      head of our denomination. Nancy succeeds the Rev.
      Elder Troy Perry, who retired this year. She is
      only the second head of communion MCC has had and
      one of the few, if not the only woman to head a
      denomination today.

      The Installation took place at the Washington National
      Cathedral in Washington, DC, and was an event filled
      with joy, reverence, and celebration. Nancy preached
      from the Canterbury Pulpit, where Dr. Martin Luther
      King Jr. preached his last sermon and from which many
      notable religious leaders have spoken over the long
      history of the National Cathedral.

      MCC clergy from all over the world processed, all
      dressed in their finest vestments, a mass choir sung
      beautifully, backed up with a small orchestra and
      the great organ of the Cathedral. There were
      greetings from many different religious leaders.

      Of course, since we are MCC, there was communion.
      Nancy and the Rev. Elder Don Eastman con-celebrated
      communion and over 20 communion stations distributed
      the Eucharist and a short prayer to the people in
      the packed Cathedral.

      The sun pouring through the stained glass windows
      of the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
      added to a glorious day.

      Chi Rho Press adds our voice to the many who are
      excited by his new ministry for Nancy Wilson, and
      we are keeping her and all the MCCs around the world
      in prayer as we begin this new phase of the worldwide
      ministry of MCC.

      *****

      We are excited about the production of the Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary for the 2005-2006 church year,
      Year B in the reckoning of the Revised Common
      Lectionary. Please order your copy today!

      *****

      Of course, with Christmas less than three months
      away, it is not too early to start doing your
      holiday shopping at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com
      We never close!

      *****

      There are some wonderful tapes and CDs of good
      Christian music available at www.ChiRhoPress.com.
      Please visit!

      *****

      Please check out the Chi Rho Cards! Our line of
      greeting cards, by the talented New York artist Timothy
      Leetch, are now available. See the descriptions of the
      cards on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com