Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 16, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 16, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      The earth shook

      "And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in
      two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and
      the rocks were split; the tombs also were opened,
      and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep
      were raised, and coming out of the tombs after Christ's
      resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared
      to many."
      Matthew 27:51-53

      The earth shook while many other strange and frightening
      things began to happen the moment Christ died. The
      curtain of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem was torn
      from top to bottom. Rocks shattered. Certain graves
      actually released their dead, and many corpses of
      known holy people were raised to life. They came
      out of their tombs. How terrifying this all must
      have been. The sun had disappeared and all was dark.
      Where was God in this dark moment in world history?
      I imagine many people huddled in fear and wonder.

      We are told that the raised dead actually appeared to
      many in Jerusalem after Christ was resurrected. Even
      in the moment of Christ's death, death was conquered.
      The power of the grave was shattered forever as faithful
      and holy people were miraculously raised from the dead,
      testifying to God's great grace and power. There were
      many empty tombs the moment Christ died.

      What does this mean for us? We can personally claim
      the Christian hope that we too can experience
      resurrection through Jesus Christ, God's crucified
      and beloved Child. Jesus himself experienced death
      for us and understands our human frailties and fears.
      We can take courage at the moment of our death and
      experience spiritual comfort when loved ones die.
      Death has been conquered forever.

      Someday the dead in Christ will be raised again (1
      Thessalonians 4:13-18). Oh death, where is your
      victory? Where is your sting? (See 1 Corinthians
      15:54-56.) Christ has conquered the grave even in
      death. Death cannot hold him. Death is not the end.
      We have hope beyond the grave (1 Corinthians 15).

      Beloved Christ, you have tasted death for me and offer
      all of us resurrection hope. Help us encourage each
      other with these words. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find