Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 4, 2005

  • Adam Debaugh
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 4, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra

      The greatest commandment

      "But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced
      the Sadducees, they came together. And one of them, a
      lawyer, asked him a question, to test him. 'Teacher,
      which is the great commandment in the law?' And he
      said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all
      your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your
      mind. This is the great and first commandment. And
      a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as
      yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law
      and the prophets.'"
      Matthew 22:34-40

      Love is the greatest commandment in biblical law. With
      just four concise sentences, Jesus sums up the entire
      Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) for us. Love God with
      every fiber, breath, and cell of our being. Then love
      our neighbors as ourselves. Love ourselves as we love
      our neighbors. A teaching for all cultures, this Great
      Commandment, speaks to every generation, every nation,
      and every sexual orientation.

      We all fall short and miss the mark in loving God, our
      neighbor, and ourselves. Today many mainline Christian
      denominations often practice intolerance and discrimination,
      causing great pain and suffering for sexual minorities.
      Christian churches that do not recognize same-sex love
      are not practicing the Golden Rule as taught by Jesus.
      Some Christian ministries explain their prejudice against
      same-sex love by saying they "hate the sin and love the
      sinner," but often they reject, refuse, and prohibit
      sexual minority people's basic human courtesies and
      human rights. Sometimes these Christian ministries
      go further than withholding blessings, they distort
      this basic teaching of Christ to justify fund-raising
      for themselves and political candidates that continue
      these policies of oppression of LGBT people, policies
      that often contribute to a lack of job security and
      health insurance for LGBT people, as well as acts of
      physical violence against them. Tragically, these non-
      welcoming Christian churches can cause profound spiritual
      injuries to many seekers who have been demonized and
      denigrated by these houses of worship.

      I am often considered "too controversial" to lead centering
      and contemplative prayer groups at those non-affirming
      churches. Does this surprise you? When will we learn
      to live and practice our highest calling? When will we
      finally obey Jesus and live this commandment to love?

      More love, O God, to You, our neighbors, and ourselves.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find