Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 26, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 26, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Confidence before God

      "Then Jesus began to upbraid the cities where most
      of his mighty works had been done, because they did
      not repent. 'Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you,
      Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had
      been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented
      long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it
      shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for
      Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum,
      will you be exalted to heaven? You shall be brought
      down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you
      had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until
      this day. But I tell you that it shall be more
      tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of
      Sodom than for you.'"
      Matthew 11:20-24

      Jesus had performed numerous miracles. Today we find
      him strongly denouncing specific cities where many had
      not repented after seeing his miracles or hearing his
      message. Some cities are Jewish and others are Gentile.
      Then Jesus speaks of Sodom on the Day of Judgment and
      addresses his unrepentant listeners with a strongly
      worded admonition. For those unfamiliar with the Sodom
      and Gomorrah story (Genesis 19), it represents God's
      holy judgment towards rebellious humanity. It is worth
      noting that "woe" can also be translated as "doom."

      We are the people of Korazin, Bethsaida, Capernaum,
      Tyre, Sidon, and Sodom. Just change the names of
      these cities to our local regions: Moscow, London,
      New York City, Jerusalem, Rome, Tokyo, Sydney, and
      others.

      Through reading Matthew's Gospel, we have also heard
      the Jesus message of repentance and many miracles.
      Do we believe in the Miracle Worker? If so, we can
      have confidence before God.

      Our timeless human condition calls us to inner
      repentance from sin, while turning towards God for
      restoration and renewal. Jesus is our bridge to God.
      We are called to life-sustaining belief in this
      Miraculous One. All of us have missed the mark in
      life. All of us need periodic moments of repentance
      and inner transformation. Through personal faith in
      Jesus, we can face the Day of Judgment without fear.
      Jesus can help us experience confidence before God.

      God, hear our prayers. Help our unbelief. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find