Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 19, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 19, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Be like Jesus

      "A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a servant
      above the master; it is enough for the disciple to be
      like the teacher, and the servant like the master.
      If they have called the master of the house Be-el'zebul,
      how much more will they malign those of the household."
      Matthew 10:24-25

      Over the past thirty years of my life, I have sat
      through and also taught many local church membership
      classes. Usually the classes are devoted to teaching
      potential members about that particular denomination.
      Often the membership classes attempt to recruit
      volunteers to assist in chores and other needed tasks
      and ministries of the church. It is also popular to
      have the students complete spiritual gift inventories
      as part of their membership classes and encourage each
      one to sign up for a ministry as they enter the life
      of that particular church. Sometimes we are so intent
      on jobs, chores, and needful things to do, that we
      neglect the teachings of Jesus, the early church creeds
      and basic spiritual rebirth, baptism, and discipleship
      training. Many new members have never read a gospel
      and have no understanding of who Jesus is and what he
      taught!

      The early church understood it was costly to follow
      Jesus. They often insisted on a thorough teaching of
      the Christian faith for prospective members, for
      publicly identifying with Christ could possibly bring
      them martyrdom.

      What if we insisted prospective church members read
      all "the words in red" found in the gospels of Matthew,
      Mark, Luke, and John before joining a local church?
      What if we discussed the costs of publicly identifying
      with Christ in our communities? What if our churches
      more closely identified with Jesus? What would happen
      if each of us did these things in our personal lives?

      God, help us remember we are students and servants of
      Jesus. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find