Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 5, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 5, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Storms are calmed

      "And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea,
      so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but
      Jesus was asleep. And the disciples went and woke
      Jesus, saying, 'Save us, Lord; we are perishing.'"
      Matthew 8:24-25

      I have been in furious storms on some of the world's
      mighty oceans. As life-threatening waves sweep over
      the boat, sometimes all you can do is hang on for
      dear life while desperately praying for calm seas.
      Sometimes I have gotten caught in vicious summer
      squalls while sailing small boats. One night, a
      fellow shipmate fell overboard and I feared he had
      drowned. I heard his voice from the dark waters and
      threw a lifeline. He was able to climb back into the
      boat as the waves churned in fury and we were flung
      from side to side in the boat. When the squall passed
      by, we became becalmed. There was not even a whisper
      of wind. We could hear and feel the stillness. In
      the quiet we could hear fish jump. The stars came out.
      The sea looked like dark velvet. Bruised and battered,
      we managed to sail home. After we docked the boat, I
      knelt down and kissed the ground in profound gratitude
      for our safety.

      In today's story, the terrified disciples were seasoned
      sailors and professional fisherman. They too, feared
      for their lives while Jesus was sleeping. In their
      terror, they shouted a profound prayer, "Lord, save
      us! We are going to drown!"

      Jesus woke up and chastised them for their little
      faith. He asked why they were so fearful. Then he
      stood up on the wildly rocking boat and rebuked the
      waves and the wind. It became completely calm. The
      terrified disciples were amazed and asked a question
      we need to answer today. "What kind of man is Jesus?"
      Even nature obeys him! I have always wondered if they
      knelt down and kissed the ground in gratitude after
      landing their boat.

      Who is Jesus? Who is he to you? Is there something
      in your life that feels out of control? Have you ever
      wondered if Jesus could help you?

      Feel free to ask him for help. Ask for calm seas,
      rest from the bruises of life, and safe harbor for
      your souls. He is our wonderful Navigator through
      life's troubled waters. He is our divine lifeline.

      Lord, save us! Protect us from spiritual drowning!
      Help us get into safe harbor. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find