Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VI, No. 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005

      Vol. VI, No. 10

      1. New Products: Wonderful Music!
      2. Chi Rho Greeting Cards
      3. Have you read "The Road to Emmaus"?
      4. How You Can be a Part of this Ministry
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quotes:

      "4 out of 5 Divorced Baptists Condemn Gays for
      Undermining the Sanctity of Marriage."
      Bumper Sticker seen recently

      1. New Products: Wonderful Music!

      There are new music offerings on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site:

      "I am Not Ashamed," by David North and the Gospel
      Celebration. CD for $15.00 each, cassette tape for
      $10.00 each.

      Read about and order this album on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevNotAshamed.htm

      Also on the Web site is "Jesus is Lord of All," by Witness.
      Cassette tape, Special low price of $5.00.

      Read about and order this album on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevLordOfAll.htm

      2. Chi Rho Greeting Cards

      Chi Rho Cards: A line of Gay and Lesbian greeting cards
      from Chi Rho Press.

      Take a look at the cards and read about and order them on
      the Chi Rho Press Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html

      We are bringing back our line of greeting cards, originally
      made available in 1993. With original artwork by talented
      New York artist Timothy Leetch, Chi Rho Cards are designed
      by and for the Lesbian and Gay community. Chi Rho Cards are
      printed on 100% recycled paper and are affordably priced,
      selling single cards (for $1.49 each), in packs of five of
      one design (for $6.95), packs of ten of one design (for
      $12.95), and in a sample pack of two of each of the eight
      cards (for $16.95).

      Women's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card for
      a Lesbian couple, suitable for Holy Unions, Anniversaries,
      legal marriages, or just to celebrate their relationship.
      On the cover, a dove of peace holding entwined female
      symbols is superimposed over the cross. Inside: "God's
      Blessings on Your Relationship."

      Men's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card for
      your favorite Gay male couple, suitable for Holy Unions,
      Anniversaries, legal marriages, or just to celebrate their
      relationship. On the cover, two men stand hand in hand in
      a grand cathedral. Inside: "God's Blessings on Your
      Relationship."

      Lesbians' Anniversary Card. Two women, very much in love,
      silhouetted on a seashore, make this a striking card for a
      Lesbian couple's anniversary. Inside: "Happy Anniversary!"

      Gay Men's Anniversary Card. An intimate scene of a Gay
      male couple's bathroom decorates our card to celebrate
      your favorite Gay couple's anniversary. "His and His"
      towels are next to a steamed up mirror on which is
      written, "I luv U" in a heart. Inside: "Happy
      Anniversary!"

      All Purpose Anniversary Card. Our all purpose anniversary
      card is ideal to celebrate anniversaries of relationships,
      employment, sobriety, or any other special occasion. On
      the cover, festive cards pinned to spell out "Happy
      Anniversary." Inside: blank so you may write your own
      specific message.

      Get Well Card. Send our little bear to cheer up a friend
      who is ill, and speed their recovery. On the cover, little
      Aloysius the Teddy Bear in his sick bed. Inside: "I Can't
      Bear That You Are Ill. Get Well Soon."

      Sympathy Card. An empty chair poignantly calls to mind
      the loss of a loved one, through death or divorce.
      Inside: "Grieving With You at Your Loss. You are in my
      Prayers."

      Thank You Card. Our leaping figure celebrates all that we
      have to be thankful for. Express your gratitude with this
      joyous card. Inside: blank, write your own specific message.

      All Chi Rho Cards measure 4-1/4" wide by 5-1/2" high and
      come with plain white envelopes. Our packaging isn't fancy,
      to save you money.

      Order your selection of Chi Rho Cards now! Single cards
      are $1.49 each, packs of five of one design are $6.95,
      packs of ten of one design are $12.95, and a sample pack
      of two of each of the eight cards is $16.95; plus shipping
      and handling.

      Find them at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html

      3. Have you read "The Road to Emmaus"?

      We still have copies of the excellent daily devotional,
      "The Road to Emmaus." This was the first book of daily
      devotions published by and for the LGBT faith community.

      "The Road to Emmaus: Daily Encounters with the Risen
      Christ," is an inclusive devotional edited by Joseph W.
      Houle.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is a valuable resource for those
      who wish to balance the frenetic pace of modern life
      with moments of recollection and spiritual refreshment.
      There is a Gospel reading for each day of the year and
      a meditation based upon it. Each meditation is a gentle
      invitation to become attentive to the presence of the
      Sacred in the ordinary circumstances of our lives and to
      open our hearts to the risen Christ in quiet reflection.

      As an inclusive devotional, "The Road to Emmaus" affirms
      the goodness of all God's children, the young and the old;
      the male and the female; the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
      transgendered person; heterosexuals; the single, coupled,
      and celibate; and people of all races, physical ability,
      and education. Its underlying message is that the Gospel
      is good news for all people.

      If you seek a deeper walk with the risen Christ, the daily
      meditations of "The Road to Emmaus" will speed you on your
      way.

      James B. Nelson writes, "Reading the devotions in The Road
      to Emmaus made scriptural passages come alive for me, often
      in new ways. Further, the writings prodded me to examine my
      spirituality more honestly. And, most importantly, they
      freshened my hope."

      Contributors to "The Road to Emmaus" include the Rev. Kathy
      Baker, the late Rev. Harold J. Burris, Adam DeBaugh, Sarah
      Fershee, Sr. Jeannine Gramick, the Rev. Louis Kavar, the
      late Joseph Houle, Virginia Miles, Fr. Robert Nugent, Jack
      Pantaleo, the Rev. Dusty Pruitt, the Rev. Andy Sidden, and
      the late Rev. Larry Uhrig.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available at $9.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Six or more copies are $7.50 each.
      Order on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevRoadToEmmaus.html

      4. How You Can be a Part of this Ministry

      Chi Rho Press needs your assistance! All contributions
      to Chi Rho Press are fully tax deductible. If you are able
      to make a financial gift to this ministry, we would welcome
      your support. Gifts and contributions of any size are welcome
      and appreciated! We could sure use your help!

      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit
      card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send
      your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      If you want to designate your gift to the work of the
      Spanish Translation Task Force, just let us know!
      Thanks for your support!

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Who Turned Out the
      Lights?" from the Pentecost section of "Christian
      with a Twist."

      Please read Genesis 1:1-4, Matthew 28:16-20, and 2
      Corinthians 13:11-13

      Enough already! God created the earth and called it
      very good. God sent Jesus to teach the simple and
      honest truth of God's love. Paul established the
      church. It has a few warts and weaknesses, but still
      truth and beauty can certainly be found within it.

      God's kingdom is at hand, but still mostly we do not
      see the light. We look around waiting for someone to
      show us the way out of some darkness that we must be
      creating for ourselves.

      People who have had near death experiences report
      seeing a blinding, beautiful light. I expect to be
      tired and wanting to close my eyes and rest when I
      die. I want to see God's light now while I am alive
      and awake.

      Jesus said I could and by the grace of God I shall.
      Anything that blocks my view will just have to get
      out of the way. The light was turned on a long
      time ago, and God did not give anyone the power to
      switch it off.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Mon., May 30, St. Joan of Arc (Patron saint: rape
      victims). God does speak to us: If we take the time
      to listen, we can hear God's voice. St. Joan is a
      prime example of the types of people that God chooses
      for great things. She was an illiterate farm girl,
      unschooled and ill prepared for what God had in mind
      for her, yet she heard God's voice and allowed God to
      lead her.

      Tues., May 31, St. Angela Merici. Waiting for God:
      We want for much but to get it accomplished, that is
      for God. "They who, when they have knocked, are angry
      because they are not forthwith heard, are not humble
      petitioners but imperious demanders. However long God
      may leave you waiting, wait patiently for the Lord's
      own time," St. Peter Chrysologus.

      Wed., June 1, St. Justin (Patron saint: lecturers).
      The certainty of faith: We all receive the gift of
      faith with little or no effort of our own. We need
      to learn how to value it from those who reached it
      after a long search. Let us fear, like St. Justin
      did, the account we shall have to render for God's
      gift. "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced
      that God is able to guard what I have entrusted to God
      for that day" (2 Timothy 1:12).

      Diversity Date. June is Gay and Lesbian Pride Month

      Thurs., June 2, St. Erasmus (Patron saint: sailors).
      Constancy: When St. Erasmus, also known as St. Elmo,
      preached against the heretics of his day, he was
      hunted, tortured, and finally martyred by having
      his intestines wound on a windlass. He never
      stopped preaching and converting people to God.
      His constancy and willingness to die for what he
      believed is a lesson for us: believe and hold on to
      God through all things.

      Fri., June 3, St. Kevin. Even our pets are gifts of
      God: St. Kevin did not particularly enjoy the company
      of people and spent his life as a hermit living in a
      cave surrounded by wild animals that provided him with
      food and other necessities. St. Kevin teaches us that
      God provides to those that ask of God and believe that
      God will find a way to get what we need to us.

      Sat., June 4, St. Francis Caracciolo. Worshipping
      Jesus in the blessed sacrament: It is for us, not
      for angels, that our Lord lives sacramentally upon
      the altar; yet angels crowd our churches to worship
      him, while we ignore him. Learn from St. Francis to
      avoid such ingratitude and to spend, as he did,
      every possible moment before the most Holy Sacrament.

      Sun., June 5, St. Boniface of Crediton. Willingness
      to let go: St. Boniface teaches us how the love of
      Christ changes all things. It was for Christ's sake
      that he toiled, preferring poverty to riches, labor
      to rest, suffering to pleasures, death to life, that
      by dying he might live with Christ.

      Mon., June 6, St. Norbert. Reverence: In the course
      of their work, St. Norbert and his followers had to
      stand up for the reverence and honor that is due to
      the Holy Eucharist. We must guard in our present
      worship practices against irreverence and outrages
      offered by others. "Then the man said, 'Lord I
      believe,' and he worshiped Christ" (John 9:38).

      Tues., June 7, St. Robert of Newminster. Setting
      examples: Religion and reason both teach us that we
      should act virtuously; but only facts prove that
      we do so. This is why examples have more power to
      move us, and why our individual actions are of such
      crucial importance for others as well as for
      ourselves.

      Wed., June 8, St. Medard (Patron saint: good weather).
      Shelter: St. Medard is always depicted as a young man
      standing in the rain under the shelter of an eagle.
      St. Medard teaches us that God's love is as gentle
      as a dove but as fierce as an eagle. We are sheltered
      from adversity by God's protection if we pray and
      believe that God will provide. Just as St. Medard
      was sheltered from the rain, so will God protect us.

      Thurs., June 9, Bd. Anne Taigi. Heavenly knowledge:
      Every day duties are no hindrance to a full and
      vibrant relationship with God. St. Anne would be
      in the middle of everyday tasks when she would feel
      God's presence. She would immediately exclaim,
      "Leave me in peace, Lord; leave me to my job!"
      "Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy; and
      your old men shall dream dreams and your young men
      shall see visions. Even on my servants, both men
      and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days"
      (Joel 2:28-29).

      Fri., June 10, St. Margaret of Scotland. Letting
      things go: Perfection consists in keeping a watch
      on the heart. Wherever we are, we can make a
      solitude in our hearts, detach ourselves from the
      world, and talk confidently with God. Let us take
      St. Margaret as our example and gain encouragement
      from it always.

      Sat., June 11, St. Barnabas. Generosity: It is
      remarkable to note the amount of time the apostolic
      church spent on collecting and distributing alms.
      For the first Christians, sending alms to Jerusalem
      was a testament to their unity of faith as well as the
      fervor of their charity.

      Sun., June 12, St. John of Sahagun. Lovers of peace:
      We all desire peace but few find it and enjoy it. If
      you realized what peace would come to you and happiness
      to others if you kept yourself in a good state, you
      would be more anxious for spiritual benefits. "Turn
      from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it"
      (Psalm 34:14).

      Mon., June 13, Antony of Padua (Patron saint: travelers).
      Hide: We need to love to pray and labor unseen and
      cherish in the secret of our hearts God's graces and
      the growth of our own souls. Like St. Antony, let us
      attend to this and leave the rest to God. "But when you
      pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your
      Creator who is in secret; and your Creator who sees what
      is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:6).

      Tues., June 14, St. Basil. Christian courage: "When I
      look about me I seem to have no one on my side. I can
      but pray I may be found in the number of those seven
      thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal. I know
      our present persecutors seek my life; yet that shall
      reduce none of the efforts I owe to the churches of
      God," St. Basil.

      Wed., June 15, St. Germaine. Patience: St. Germaine
      was a peasant, ignorant in human knowledge, who learned
      something that is very precious in God's eyes: patience.
      She spent most of her life watching over her family's
      flocks in the pastures, and in spite of neglect and
      cruelty, she was good, kind, and devout. The unhappiness
      in her home was borne with unfailing patience.

      *****

      Order the 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      Well, we have been busy, adding two new Christian music
      albums to our Web site, "I Am Not Ashamed" tape and CD
      by David North and the Gospel Celebration, and "Jesus
      is Lord of All" tape by Witness. There is some wonderful
      music here and I encourage you to order both of these
      albums. See the description of the albums in article
      1 of this edition of the Chi Rho Connection and on our
      Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevNotAshamed.htm
      and
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevLordOfAll.htm

      *****

      Chi Rho Cards are back! After a few years hiatus, we
      have brought back our line of greeting cards, by the
      talented New York artist Timothy Leetch. See the
      descriptions of the cards in article 2 above and on
      our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      This edition of the Chi Rho Connection is coming out a
      day later than usual because I spent a wonderful Memorial
      Day weekend in New York City with my good friend the Rev.
      Edgard Danielson-Morales. Edgard heads up our Spanish
      Task Force, so it was a working vacation as we discussed
      the two major projects we have in the works now.

      Edgard is in the process of finalizing his move from San
      Juan, Puerto Rico, to New York City, where he is the
      associate pastor for congregational life at MCC NY.
      He has been commuting between San Juan and New York
      most of this year and has only two more weekends of
      flying up to New York, after which he will be all moved
      in to his new flat in Morningside Heights.

      We spent a wonderful day Saturday wandering around the
      Cloisters, a magnificent collection of medieval art,
      including the famous Unicorn tapestries and lots of
      religious sculptures, paintings, tapestries, and much
      more. We also made a bit of a pilgrimage to the site
      of the World Trade Center and visited St. Paul's Chapel
      where a new ministry sprung up on September 11, 2001 in
      response to the devastation of the day. The sanctuary
      of this lovely old church continues to be a museum
      dedicated to the volunteers who gave so much of
      themselves in the aftermath of the attacks on New
      York and Washington. (It is a truly historic church,
      the oldest public building still in use in New York.
      George Washington prayed here after his inauguration
      as President of the United States! I guess the
      Episcopalians know how to building churches that
      last!)

      Sunday we spent at church at MCC New York, a wonderful
      church with a vibrant ministry for social justice.
      Senior Pastor the Rev. Pat Bumgardner preached a
      brilliant sermon and Edgard asked me to read Scripture
      and serve communion at all three services. It was a
      great day.

      I took Amtrak up to NYC so did not have room for a lot
      of books, but Edgard and Pat had asked me to bring a
      bookstore so we have a selection of books for people
      to order. If you are in the New York area, do visit
      MCC NY!

      *****

      I hope as we move into summer time here in the Northern
      Hemisphere that you are enjoying the weather and the time
      of year. (For our Southern Hemisphere friends, Happy
      Winter!)

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com