Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 29, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 29, 2005

      **********
      (Happy Memorial Day Weekend. This is going out
      early because of our travel schedule on the long
      weekend. Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.)

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      What are my motives?

      Jesus said, "Not every one who says to me, 'Lord,
      Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but they
      who do the will of my Father who is in heaven. On
      that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we
      not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in
      your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
      And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you;
      depart from me, you evildoers.'"
      Matthew 7:21-23

      Ask three very important questions while reading the
      Bible. What is the passage saying? What does it mean?
      And specifically, what does this mean to me in my
      personal life and situation? Valuable insights can
      also be gained through reading different Bible
      translations.

      Jesus' warning reinforces what he is teaching us about
      false prophets and other spiritual impostors. God truly
      looks within our hearts and knows our motives. What is
      our motive in following Jesus? Are we using him to
      promote our own power agenda and to manipulate people
      for prestige?

      Eugene Peterson translates these verses in a
      contemporary interpretation, "Knowing the correct
      password saying 'Master, Master,' for instance isn't
      going to get you anywhere with me. What is required
      is serious obedience doing what my Father wills. I
      can see it now at the Final Judgment thousands
      strutting up to me and saying, Master, we preached
      the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored
      projects had everyone talking.' And do you know
      what I am going to say? 'You missed the boat. All
      you did was use me to make yourselves important.
      You don't impress me one bit. You're out of here.'"
      (Peterson, Eugene. "The Message: The New Testament
      in Contemporary Language," p. 22.)

      God, help us identify our true motives for following
      Jesus. Help us take heed of this stern warning. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find