Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VI, No. 9

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2005

      Vol. VI, No. 9

      1. New Products: Wonderful Music!
      2. Chi Rho Greeting Cards
      3. Have you read "Living as the Beloved"?
      4. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys, by Father Jeremy
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quotes:

      "I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want
      to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am
      not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I
      am what I am."
      John Newton (1725-1807)
      (Thanks to Mary Pearson and www.GayChristians.com)

      "You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians
      and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that,
      and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice
      to the spirit of the Antichrist."
      Pat Robertson, on his 700 Club program, January 14, 1991

      1. New Products: Wonderful Music!

      There are new music offerings on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site:

      "I am Not Ashamed," by David North and the Gospel
      Celebration. CD for $15.00 each, cassette tape for
      $10.00 each.

      All songs on this excellent album were written by the
      Rev. David K. North, now pastor of Holy Redeemer
      Metropolitan Community Church, College Park, Maryland,
      USA, except "I am Not Ashamed," which was written by
      Virgil Night and David North.

      Gospel Celebration includes David North, piano and lead
      vocals; Janina Sajka, keyboard; Jeanie Broderick, drums
      and percussion; Virgil Night, bass guitar and vocals;
      Scott Breivold, tenor; Shirley L. Clay, alto; Freida
      Rink-Walton, soprano; and Myriam Valle, soprano.
      Additional instrumental soloists for selected songs
      include Myriam Valle on acoustic guitar, Dave Hanbury
      on lead guitar, Al Williams on saxophone, and Dennis
      Thompson on bagpipes.

      Songs on this album include "Whosoever Will," "A Little
      Bit of Faith," "Beloved," "He Was Wounded," "Be Encouraged,"
      "No, I'll Never Turn Back," "Power of Prayer," "Justified,"
      "I'm Covered," "My Prayer," and "I'm Not Ashamed."

      David North and the Gospel Celebration use this as their
      mission statement:

      "We are committed to extending the celebration of joy in
      God's Word and the inclusive healing power of God's Love
      to all communities through our music.

      "It is our hope that whoever may share in this outpouring
      of praise will take something away that will uplift and
      enrich their life.

      "We ask your prayers for our steadfastness to this goal;
      that nothing keep us from the course of this ministry."

      Read about and order this album on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevNotAshamed.htm

      Also on the Web site is "Jesus is Lord of All," by Witness.
      Cassette tape, Special low price of $5.00.

      Witness was a vibrant LGBT Christian music group that
      had it's roots in the Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC. Included on this tape are David Carlin
      King, guitar; Tom Hall, piano and vocals; Dale Jarrett,
      bass and vocals; Jeanie Broderick, percussion.

      The Tape includes "I Need Jesus," "Jesus is Lord of All,"
      "Cling to the Cross," "I'm One of the King's Kids,"
      "Trinity," "Ida's Song," "What Will You Have Me Do," "Right
      Now," "I Am Willing," and "Ten Thousand Years." All of the
      selections are original songs by Dale Jarrett and Virgil
      Night, except "Ten Thousand Years," a hymn standard.

      Read about and order this album on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevLordOfAll.htm

      2. Chi Rho Greeting Cards

      Chi Rho Cards: A line of Gay and Lesbian greeting cards
      from Chi Rho Press.

      Take a look at the cards and read about and order them on
      the Chi Rho Press Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html

      We are bringing back our line of greeting cards, originally
      made available in 1993. With original artwork by talented
      New York artist Timothy Leetch, Chi Rho Cards are designed
      by and for the Lesbian and Gay community. Chi Rho Cards are
      printed on 100% recycled paper and are affordably priced,
      selling single cards (for $1.49 each), in packs of five of
      one design (for $6.95), packs of ten of one design (for
      $12.95), and in a sample pack of two of each of the eight
      cards (for $16.95).

      Women's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card for
      a Lesbian couple, suitable for Holy Unions, Anniversaries,
      legal marriages, or just to celebrate their relationship.
      On the cover, a dove of peace holding entwined female
      symbols is superimposed over the cross. Inside: "God's
      Blessings on Your Relationship."

      Men's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card for
      your favorite Gay male couple, suitable for Holy Unions,
      Anniversaries, legal marriages, or just to celebrate their
      relationship. On the cover, two men stand hand in hand in
      a grand cathedral. Inside: "God's Blessings on Your
      Relationship."

      Lesbians' Anniversary Card. Two women, very much in love,
      silhouetted on a seashore, make this a striking card for a
      Lesbian couple's anniversary. Inside: "Happy Anniversary!"

      Gay Men's Anniversary Card. An intimate scene of a Gay
      male couple's bathroom decorates our card to celebrate
      your favorite Gay couple's anniversary. "His and His"
      towels are next to a steamed up mirror on which is
      written, "I luv U" in a heart. Inside: "Happy
      Anniversary!"

      All Purpose Anniversary Card. Our all purpose anniversary
      card is ideal to celebrate anniversaries of relationships,
      employment, sobriety, or any other special occasion. On
      the cover, festive cards pinned to spell out "Happy
      Anniversary." Inside: blank so you may write your own
      specific message.

      Get Well Card. Send our little bear to cheer up a friend
      who is ill, and speed their recovery. On the cover, little
      Aloysius the Teddy Bear in his sick bed. Inside: "I Can't
      Bear That You Are Ill. Get Well Soon."

      Sympathy Card. An empty chair poignantly calls to mind
      the loss of a loved one, through death or divorce.
      Inside: "Grieving With You at Your Loss. You are in my
      Prayers."

      Thank You Card. Our leaping figure celebrates all that we
      have to be thankful for. Express your gratitude with this
      joyous card. Inside: blank, write your own specific message.

      All Chi Rho Cards measure 4-1/4" wide by 5-1/2" high and
      come with plain white envelopes. Our packaging isn't fancy,
      to save you money.

      Order your selection of Chi Rho Cards now! Single cards
      are $1.49 each, packs of five of one design are $6.95,
      packs of ten of one design are $12.95, and a sample pack
      of two of each of the eight cards is $16.95; plus shipping
      and handling.

      Find them at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html

      3. Have you read "Living as the Beloved"?

      A powerful book of daily devotions, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L.
      Bochonok. $20.95 each, six or more copies for $15.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. You can see and order
      the book on our Web site at

      Dr. Bochonok is the founder of the very popular Soul
      Food Ministry Web site (www.soulfoodministry.org), a
      special work of Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Dr. Rembert Truluck, author of "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse" writes:
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html)

      "I welcome the opportunity to commend to you this new
      book of daily meditations by my friend Sandra Bochonok.
      The meditations are centered in a realistic practical
      understanding of love and recovery 'one day at a
      time.' Filled with personal experiences, helpful
      information and quotes from other sources, the book
      is easy to read. Dr. Bochonok draws upon her own
      personal spiritual pilgrimage and her loving listening
      relationships with many people in her own family and
      in her life as a minister and teacher at MCC DC. Thank
      you, Sandra, for passing on to us what you have
      discovered that has been helpful to you."

      Order your copy of "Living as the Beloved: One Day
      at a Time" today. Only $20.95, plus shipping and handling,
      six or more copies are $15.75 each plus shipping and
      handing.

      4. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys, by Father Jeremy

      This edition of "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our
      Faith Journeys, is something I received in the mail from
      a beloved and precious friend of mine, a Roman Catholic
      priest now retired early, due to health problems, after
      40 years of regular active ministry. Fr. Jeremy muses
      on what it is like to discover that he has aged and how
      he reacts to this. He realizes that he actually now
      celebrates who he has become. He sees what God has
      fashioned and says, "Yes . . . this is very good!"

      Here is part of Fr. Jeremy's faith journey:

      The other day a young person asked me how I felt about
      being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of
      myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, he was
      immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was
      an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and
      let him know.

      Old age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for
      the first time in my life, the person I have always
      wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair
      over my body, but I don't agonize over it for long.
      At least I try not to. ;-)

      I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful
      life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter
      belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself,
      and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.
      I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or
      for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement
      gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on
      my patio. I am entitled to overeat, to be messy, to be
      extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave
      this world too soon; before they understood the great
      freedom that comes with aging.

      Whose business is it if I choose to read until 4 am,
      and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to
      those wonderful tunes of the 50s and 60s, and if I
      at the same time wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

      I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some
      of life is just as well forgotten, and I eventually
      remember the important things. And . . . does it really
      matter?

      Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can
      your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when
      a child suffers, or when you are not accepted or included,
      or when war seems so futile and cruel? But broken hearts
      are what give us strength and understanding and compassion.
      A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never
      know the joy of being imperfect.

      I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair
      turn white, and to have my youthful laughs be forever
      etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never
      laughed, and so many have died before their hair could
      turn silver. I can say "no," and mean it. I can say
      "yes," and mean it. As you get older, it is easier to
      be positive. You care less about what other people
      think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even
      earned the right to be wrong.

      So, to answer the question, I like being old. It has
      set me free. I like the person I have become. I am
      not going to live forever, but while I am still here,
      I will not waste time lamenting what could have been,
      or worrying about what will be.

      For the first time in my life, I don't have to have a
      reason to do the things I want to do. If I want to
      play games on the computer all day, lay on the couch
      and watch old movies for hours or don't want to go to
      the beach or a movie, I have earned that right. I
      have put in my time doing everything for others, so
      now I can be a bit selfish without feeling guilty.

      I sometimes feel sorry for the young. They face a far
      different world than I knew growing up, where we feared
      the law, respected the old, the president, our country.
      I never felt the need to use filthy language in order
      to express myself. And they too will grow old someday.
      I am grateful to have been born when I was, into a
      kinder, gentler world.

      Yes, I like being old!

      Joy to the world. . . .

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Tongues" from
      the Pentecost section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Acts 2:1-13

      "Filled with new wine." Too bad I did not know that
      phrase back when . . . well, back when I had not had
      the experience of sharing the cup with you all, and
      perhaps and hopefully having my eyes opened a bit and
      my mind broadened. Maybe my thoughts would have been
      a bit more Christian-like when I heard people say that
      God had spoken to them.

      At least I kept my mouth shut, except maybe after a
      few drinks of old scotch, but I did not believe them.
      At best I thought they were fooling themselves and
      at worst trying to fool me.

      But then God spoke. Well, I suppose maybe God had
      spoken a lot, but I had not listened. Or maybe God
      did not speak until there was at least a possibility
      that I could hear. The first couple times God spoke
      to me, it was not with a voice or words. That was
      probably a good thing. God just planted the necessary
      concepts into my brain, like my first time at MCC when
      God "told me" I would be coming every Sunday from then
      on.

      At least I had the sense to put some of my skepticism
      aside. I am glad God was easy on me for a while, and
      let me spend some time here before hearing anyone speak
      in tongues or get slain in the spirit.

      But there did come a time when God had to raise God's
      voice to me. Finding two quarters on the road two
      nights in a row, led me to wonder if God had a message
      for me at a time when I needed God's guidance. "Take
      what God gives you!" God fairly shouted at me, and I
      accepted not just those fifty cents, but the most
      meaningful relationship in my life thus far.

      Yes God does speak, using whatever tongues, messengers,
      or tools God needs to get the message across.

      Filled with new wine, yes, I suppose that on occasion
      God has used that, too. But let us not use that as an
      excuse to try to drown the voices in our heads. Let
      us just listen and know that God has many voices and
      many songs to sing.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sun., May 15, Pentecost

      Mon., May 16, St. John of Nepomuk (Patron saint:
      discretion). Indiscretion: St. John teaches us that
      what we hear in confidence must stay in confidence.
      He was martyred for refusing to break the seal of
      confession in Czechoslovakia when the king ordered
      him to reveal what his wife had confessed.

      Tues., May 17, St. Paschal Baylon. Devotion to the
      blessed sacrament: St. Paschal believed that we
      should never let a day pass without visiting Jesus
      in the sacrament. If we are not able to take the
      sacrament, then we are to turn our minds and thoughts
      to Jesus at least once daily.

      Wed., May 18, St. Felix of Cantalice. Being thankful:
      St. Felix always greeted people with the words "Deo
      Gratias;" he taught all the children he came into
      contact with to repeat the words and when they saw
      him, they would call it out. "I will praise you
      forever for what you have done; in your name I will
      hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in
      the presence of your saints" (Psalm 52:9).

      Thurs., May 19, St. Peter Celestine (Patron saint:
      bookbinders). Solitude with God: "To speak heart
      to heart with God you must love to be with God alone;
      they who take pleasure in the society of the great
      will never hear God's voice," St. Celestine.

      Fri., May 20, St. Bernardine of Siena. Devotion to
      the holy name: Bernardine was a youth when he
      undertook the care of an old woman relation of his,
      who was destitute, bedridden, blind, and could hardly
      speak except to utter the holy name. He watched over
      her until her death. To understand the mysteries of
      Jesus, we too must become families with his friends,
      the poor, the suffering, and the sick.

      Sat., May 21, St. Andrew Bobola. Courage in suffering:
      Always be ready, like a good and faithful servant of
      Christ, to bear bravely the cross of our Lord, who was
      crucified for love of you.

      Sun., May 22, St. Dunstan (Patron saint: goldsmiths and
      jewelers). Reprimand wrongs: St. Dunstan's open
      opposition to vice brought him banishment and loss,
      but his fearless rebukes of scandal on his return
      proved his disregard of the things around him and
      that he was ready again to suffer for Christ. We must
      use every opportunity available to us to set the
      correct example of Christian life as well as check
      and correct our neighbors' transgressions.

      Mon., May 23, St. Aldhelm. Use of your talents: The
      gifts of God need to be consecrated to God's service,
      they will then not only promote our own sanctification
      but also that of others. St. Aldhelm was perhaps the
      most learned and accomplished man of his time in
      England, yet he was a saint, and the spiritual father
      of many holy men and women.

      Tues., May 24, St. Theodotus of Ancyra. Forbearance
      and mercy: Resolve yourself to benefit others by
      forbearance, charity, and strictness with yourself.
      You are truly merciful when you seek to supply the
      spiritual necessities of your friends and neighbors.
      "Blessed," Christ says, "are the merciful, for they
      shall obtain mercy."

      Wed., May 25, St. Gregory VII. Loyalty to God's
      kingdom: "In the time of those kings, the God of
      heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be
      destroyed, nor will it be left to another people.
      It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to
      an end, but it will itself endure forever" (Daniel
      2:44).

      Thurs., May 26, St. Philip Neri. Joy: St Philip
      wanted all children to serve God, like the first
      Christians, in gladness of heart. He said this was
      the true spirit of son-ship and that it expanded the
      soul giving it liberty and perfection in action, power
      over temptation, and fuller aid to perseverance. "I
      will have no scrupulosity and no melancholy in my
      house," St. Philip Neri.

      Fri., May 27, St. Bede. Search for God's wisdom: The
      more we are at one with ourselves, at peace and free
      of complications, so much more and deeper are things
      that we are able to understand because we receive the
      light of understanding from above.

      Sat., May 28, St. Augustine of Canterbury. Obedience:
      The work of an apostle, or of any Christian for that
      matter, is the work of the right hand of God. God
      often chooses weak people for the mightiest purposes.
      The most pure sign of lasting success in missionary
      work is obedience to superiors and diffidence about
      oneself.

      Sun., May 29, St. Mary Magdalen dei Pazzi. Divine
      charity: Charity is the presence of God in the soul,
      transforming it into a new creature. Mary Magdalen
      called the day of holy communion the day of love. The
      charity that burned in her heart and led her to choose
      the Carmelites was the fact that they received the
      Sacrament of Holy Communion daily. "I love people
      because Jesus loves them, and I would bear anything
      to comfort them, for God cannot rest in a heart that
      is ill at ease," St. Mary Magdalen.

      Mon., May 30, St. Joan of Arc (Patron saint: rape
      victims). God does speak to us: If we take the time
      to listen, we can hear God's voice. St. Joan is a
      prime example of the types of people that God chooses
      for great things. She was an illiterate farm girl,
      unschooled and ill prepared for what God had in mind
      for her, yet she heard God's voice and allowed God to
      lead her.

      Tues., May 31, St. Angela Merici. Waiting for God:
      We want for much but to get it accomplished, that is
      for God. "They who, when they have knocked, are angry
      because they are not forthwith heard, are not humble
      petitioners but imperious demanders. However long God
      may leave you waiting, wait patiently for the Lord's
      own time," St. Peter Chrysologus.

      Wed., Jun. 1, St. Justin (Patron saint: lecturers).
      The certainty of faith: We all receive the gift of
      faith with little or no effort of our own. We need
      to learn how to value it from those who reached it
      after a long search. Let us fear, like St. Justin
      did, the account we shall have to render for God's
      gift. "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced
      that God is able to guard what I have entrusted to God
      for that day" (2 Timothy 1:12).

      Diversity Date. June is Gay and Lesbian Pride Month

      *****

      Order the 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      Happy Birthday, Church! Yes, today is the Day of
      Pentecost, and historically Christians think of this
      as the birth day of the Christian Church. But as the
      sermon I heard this morning reminded us, Pentecost is
      not necessarily about adding members to the Church, but
      rather it is about adding believers to the faith. The
      people from many nations heard the Gospel in their own
      languages, in words they could understand and relate to.
      I think this is the very essence of inclusive language.

      *****

      Well, we have been busy, adding two new Christian music
      albums to our Web site, "I Am Not Ashamed" tape and CD
      by David North and the Gospel Celebration, and "Jesus
      is Lord of All" tape by Witness. There is some wonderful
      music here and I encourage you to order both of these
      albums. See the description of the albums in article
      1 of this edition of the Chi Rho Connection and on our
      Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevNotAshamed.htm
      and
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/AudioRevLordOfAll.htm

      *****

      Chi Rho Cards are back! After a few years hiatus, we
      have brought back our line of greeting cards, by the
      talented New York artist Timothy Leetch. See the
      descriptions of the cards in article 2 above and on
      our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/cards.html.

      Order some cards today!

      *****

      I am very pleased my old friend, Father Jeremy, was
      able to add his poignant and powerful reflections on
      growing older to our Chi Rho Connection today. We
      can not give you his full name, of course, since he
      is still a Roman Catholic priest, though retired. But
      I hope you were blessed by Fr. Jeremy's insights on
      growing older.

      *****

      Well, Spring is well and truly here in the Maryland
      suburbs of Washington DC. The weather is warm and
      plants are growing and everywhere there is green. I
      hope wherever you are that the weather is a blessing
      to you and that this time is one of joy and satisfaction
      to you.

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com