Chi Rho Press' 27th eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2000
      Twenty-seventh eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail may be directed to Adam@.... See the end of this
      eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Featured Books Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT Presbyterians
      2. Media Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5
      3. Our Sponsors
      4. Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse in Spanish
      5. Support our Library Project
      6. Don�t Forget to Vote!
      7. Printer for sale!

      1. Featured Books �Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians�

      Now more than ever, it is important to hear the voices of LGBT people of
      faith. Our first anthology, �Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians� is a good place to start. Edited by lesbian evangelist the
      Rev.
      Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and Melinda McLain, �Called
      OUT� is in its second printing with Chi Rho Press.

      Though �Called OUT� contains the faith stories of 40 gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered Presbyterians, it is not just a book for Presbyterians, but
      it is a book for all people of faith who are in the LGBT community, who are
      non-gay friends and allies, or who are struggling with the issue of
      homosexuality in the church. Read this book and get to know the real face of
      LGBT spirituality.

      You may order �Called OUT� on our web page at www.ChiRhoPress.com using our
      handy shopping cart and your credit card. �Called OUT� sells for $17.95, six
      or more copies are $15.25 each.

      The holidays are coming and �Called OUT� will make a wonderful gift!

      2. Media, PA, Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5

      Roberta Showalter Kreider will be speaking at Imago Dei MCC in Media, PA, on
      Sunday, Nov. 5, at 1 pm. Roberta is the editor of the anthology "From Wounded
      Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People and
      Those Who Love Them".

      Roberta's husband, Rev. Harold Kreider, a retired Mennonite minister, will be
      sharing his story as well. Kevin and Adam will be going up to Media to assist
      Roberta and other authors of "From Wounded Hearts" in signing copies of this
      wonderful anthology.

      The book signing and discussion will be held at the Unitarian Universalist
      Church of Delaware County, 145 West Rose Tree Road, Media, PA. For more
      information or directions, contact Imago Dei MCC at 610/724-2146, or visit
      their web site at www.ImagoDeiMCC.org.

      If you are in the Philadelphia/Delaware County area, please join us for this
      event!

      3 Our Sponsors

      Here�s a new feature! A list of sponsors of Chi Rho Press. These are folks
      who provide an important service to the LGBT faith community and who support
      Chi Rho Press in various ways. We encourage you to visit their Web sites and
      to get to know them.

      If you would like to become a Sponsor of Chi Rho Press, contact
      Kevin@... for more information.

      Ron DeVrou is a therapist and personal life coach in the Washington DC area.
      His coaching practice is also done on line! Visit him at www.GayCoach.com.

      We think Dr. Mel White is one of the most important figures in the LGBT
      community today. Visit Soulforce at www.Soulforce.org and try to join us in
      Washington DC at the Roman Catholic Bishops� Conference in November.

      Read one of the finest one-line magazines around at www.whosoever.org. Editor
      Candace Chellew does a wonderful job of providing news, insights, and great
      articles for the LGBT spiritual community!

      Dr. Sandy Bochonok has a wonderful on-line ministry at Soulfood. Join them at
      http://www.soulfoodministry.org

      Stained glass by our director, Adam DeBaugh no web page just devoted to
      Adam�s
      stained glass work, but write him at Adam@... for more
      information.

      Reiki Practitioner Kevin Stone Fries (aka the Press� Editor/Office Manager) is
      available for reiki sessions in the DC area. Write him at
      Kevin@...
      for more information.

      Write for information about how you can become a Sponsor of Chi Rho Press!

      4. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" in Spanish?

      Please don�t forget the fund to translate and publish �Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse� in Spanish. If you would like to be part of this initiative,
      please send your checks or money order, made out to Chi Rho Press, to us at
      P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Note that it is for "Steps in Spanish"
      in the memo line of your check.

      5. Support our Library Project!

      A new friend and supporter of Chi Rho Press, Ed Harris, is in charge of the
      Jim
      Ricketson Memorial Library, in Roanoke, Virginia.

      This new library is a resource for the LGBT community in Roanoke, the city
      recently rocked by the homophobic hate crime that left one person dead and six
      others wounded in an attack on a gay bar. Adam went to Roanoke for the vigil
      in honor of the Roanoke 7.

      The library will provide important resources for research and reading in the
      western part of the state of Virginia (Roanoke Valley.) They currently have
      over 700 titles, are located in the lower level of The Lifestream Center, in
      the Grandin Court area of Roanoke, and will open December 6th on a limited
      schedule as a library for our GLBT communities.

      Financial and book donations can be sent to Ed Harris, Director; 1713 Ellis
      Court, Salem, Virginia 24153. Or you may e-mail Ed for additional information
      at edbharrisj@.... Checks may be made out to Ed Harris, and noted for
      The
      Jim Ricketson Memorial Library.

      The Library has the enthusiastic support of the Rev. Catherine Houchins,
      pastor
      of MCC of the Blue Ridge, Roanoke, Virginia.

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to be a sponsor of the Jim Ricketson Memorial Library
      in Roanoke. As part of our support, we are offering anyone a 25% discount on
      any Chi Rho Press books to donate to the library, in honor of the Roanoke 7.
      If you would like to make a donation of a Chi Rho Press book, just e-mail Adam
      at Adam@... for details, or send your check or money order for the
      titles you wish to donate (along with the names of the books) to Chi Rho Press
      Library Project, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. We will send the
      books
      along to Ed Harris in Roanoke.

      I regret we can�t offer our shopping cart on the web page for this special
      opportunity. Just figure 25% off the list price of the books you would
      like to
      donate and send your check or money order to us at the Press. Thanks for
      your
      support!

      6 Don�t Forget to Vote!

      This year, perhaps more than ever for those of us in the United States, it is
      imperative for LGBT people and our families and supporters vote in the
      national, state and local elections.

      We have found a wonderful new web site that is dedicated to getting out the
      LGBT vote on Nov. 7: http://www.OutVote2000.org

      Please Don�t Forget to Vote on Nov. 7!

      And if you have any doubts about whether or not you should vote next Tuesday,
      here is a letter to the editor that appeared in the Cleveland Plain Dealer on
      Oct. 26. You may have seen this on line already, but it is worth repeating:

      �For those in need of a reason to vote on November 7, here are two:

      �1. Because Matthew Shepard cannot.

      �2. Because �Dr.� Laura can.�

      Vote on this Tuesday, November 7.

      7. Printer for Sale

      Chi Rho Press has a printer for sale. It is an Okidata Microline 320 Turbo, 9
      Pin printer. It has never been used and was bought a year ago. $200 or best
      offer write Adam@... if you are interested.

      8. Adam's Last Word.

      Please visit our web site at www.ChiRhoPress.com and see the changes that are
      happening there! We are continuing to make improvements and to add to our web
      site. We would love to have you visit!

      ************

      In 1872, the Ohio Supreme Court on a case involving compulsory reading of the
      Protestant Bible in public schools, reversed a lower court opinion, holding
      that the board had the authority to remove Bible reading from the curriculum.
      The court wrote words that serve today:

      "When Christianity asks the aid of government beyond mere impartial
      protection,
      it denies itself. Its laws are divine and not human. Its essential interests
      lie beyond the reach and range of human governments. United with government,
      religion never rises above the merest superstition; united with religion,
      government never rises above the merest despotism; and all history shows us
      that the more widely and completely they are separated, the better it is for
      both."

      ************

      Americans, VOTE on Nov. 7! Voting based on your faith journey is where church
      and state appropriately intersect and the only place.

      Americans, VOTE on Nov. 7!

      ************

      And lastly, a shameless promotion: Christmas is just 50 days away. And on
      the
      Chi Rho Press web page, every day is a shopping day! �The road to knowledge
      begins with the turn of a page.� Books make great gifts! Please do at least
      some of your holiday shopping at http://www.chirhopress.com Thank you!

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions,
      please write to Question@.... For comments and suggestions about
      this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... You may pay by credit card on our web page or we will
      ship your order after receiving your check or money order. Include your
      e-mail
      address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We now accept credit
      cards on
      our web page!

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre
      St., Odessa, ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...; phone or
      fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager, Kevin@...