Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VI, No. 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005

      Vol. VI, No. 6

      1. Stained Glass Pictures on Web Site
      2. Looking for Writers for "The Journey is Our Home:"
      Sharing Our Faith Journeys
      3. Have you read "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"?
      4. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith Journeys,
      by Billy Cochran
      5. Become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press
      6. "Christian with a Twist"
      7. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quotes:

      "The possession of facts is knowledge, the use of them is
      wisdom."
      Thomas Jefferson

      1. Stained Glass Pictures on Web Site

      Our Webminister, the Rev. Clay Witt has added seven photos
      of stained glass windows made by resident stained glass
      craftsperson, Adam DeBaugh. Adam specializes in windows
      and also created the small pieces that Chi Rho Press sells.
      The stained glass pieces Chi Rho Press sells are the basic
      cross ($12.00), the gay/lesbian rainbow flag ($18.00), the
      red stained glass AIDS ribbon ($7.50), the rainbow cross
      ($18.00), and the rainbow star of David ($18.00). See them
      at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Adam will create windows on commission. Glass is expensive
      and commissions generally are $75 a square foot. It takes
      up to 100 hours to make a two by three foot window, from
      design to framing. He uses the copper foil and solder
      method of stained glass. Each piece is cut to fit, then
      the edges are wrapped with copper foil to have something
      for the solder to adhere to, then the pieces are soldered
      together to make the window. Finally, the whole piece is
      outlined in zinc came and framed.

      Contact him at Adam@... for further information
      and to discuss commissions.

      New pictures on the Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass_custom.html.
      They include three windows commissioned for Holy Redeemer
      Metropolitan Community Church in College Park, Maryland.
      They are the Communion Window, the Holy Spirit Window, and
      the Noah's Ark Window. In addition are other windows made
      as gifts or hanging in Adam's home: Irises, Tulips in a
      Blue Vase (made for a wedding gift), a Hummingbird and
      Wisteria, and a Rocking Horse made on the birth of Adam's
      first nephew, Douglas.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site and take a look at
      the stained glass windows.

      2. Looking for Writers for "The Journey is Our Home:"
      Sharing Our Faith Journeys

      We are still looking for authors to contribute essays
      for our series in the Chi Rho Connection in which
      people tell the story of their faith journeys. You
      do not have to tell everything about your faith
      journey, of course, just a piece of it!

      The title of this column, "The Journey is Our Home,"
      comes from a wonderful contemporary hymn by Ruth Duck,
      called "Lead on, O Cloud of Yahweh." The whole second
      verse reads,

      Lead on, O fiery pillar,
      We follow yet with fears,
      But we shall come rejoicing
      Though joy be born of tears.
      We are not lost, though wandering,
      For by your light we come,
      And we are still God's people,
      The journey is our home.

      Won't you contribute to this series? Our writers
      will be well known and not famous at all, clergy
      and lay people, LGBT people and non-gay people,
      people from all walks of life, and even Christians
      and non-Christians. And we are waiting for YOUR
      journey of faith.

      If you would like to contribute the story of your
      faith journey for inclusion in "The Journey is Our
      Home," please try to limit your story to 500 words.
      Write us at Connection@... with your
      submission.

      3. Have you Read "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"?

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" by Dr. Rembert Truluck
      is remarkable for many reasons. From a publishing standpoint,
      it is our largest book to date with over 550 pages. And it
      is the fastest selling and most popular book Chi Rho Press
      has ever produced.

      The reasons for the popularity of "Steps" are clear.

      Dr. Truluck speaks the language of ordinary people of faith,
      his book is written in plain language that all can understand,
      and concentrates on the basics, God's creation, love, and
      redemption of ALL humanity.

      He has identified an important and lethal trend in the
      religious community, the tendency to be legalistic and
      judgmental and to use the faith and the Bible as a weapon
      to hurt people rather than a source of healing and love.

      Truluck concentrates on the Good News of the Bible, Good
      News that is for everyone, not just heterosexual white men.
      Too often LGBT commentators concentrate on defending their
      position that the Bible doesn't really say anything bad
      about homosexuality. This is true, and Dr. Truluck does
      devote four chapters to the pitifully few verses that have
      been used to condemn LGBT people. He effectively counters
      those who insist that the Bible condemns Gay people.

      But most of "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" doesn't
      dwell on a rebuttal to those who use the Bible to attack
      LGBT people, but rather concentrates on those many
      passages of the Holy Scripture which speak words of
      love, understanding, tolerance, and joy for God's
      lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people and
      those who love them. Dr. Truluck proves that the Bible
      is our friend!

      Lastly, Dr. Truluck offers a 12 Step program to counteract
      a history of Bible abuse in effective and joyful ways.
      The 12 Steps, plus a concluding thirteenth step, lead
      people through the pain inflicted on us by misunderstanding
      of the Bible and legalistic, judgmental religion, and on
      into the peace of God's love and acceptance. "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse" leads people from hate to love,
      from fear to confidence, and from pain to joy. It is a
      remarkable journey!

      We invite you to take this journey with us! Buy "Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse" on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html,
      using your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      4. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith Journeys,
      by Billy Cochran

      This is from Billy Cochran, of Duluth, Georgia. By way of
      introduction, Billy writes, "I am a 40 year old gay man,
      divorced/single (dating someone special). I have two
      children (one son 17, a daughter 13). I live in Duluth,
      Georgia where I am the Director of Operations for TP
      Corporate Lodging. We provide temporary housing for
      people in all walks of life.

      "I am attending St Marks United Methodist Church in Atlanta
      presently and am seeking a permanent church. I am the
      facilitator/leader of the Gay Fathers of Atlanta and
      currently am excited about being the first DAD to be
      asked to speak to the Straight Spouses Network in our
      city. I am dating someone special that I am very excited
      about and the main reason is that I found someone who is
      really interested in finding a church as well and making
      Christ the center of the household."

      Here is Billy's "The Journey is our Home" faith journey:

      I am a life long member of the United Methodist Church, and
      I knew an older gentleman at my church who went to his grave
      as someone I admired for many years.

      I was on the board of the church from a very young age. The
      gentleman, Robert, and I disagreed at more meetings about
      more issues than we agreed. There were times where his
      wife would literally kick him under the table for being
      so passionate.

      One night, he went too far with me, leaving me very upset
      and disappointed in someone I looked up to so much. He
      said some things that were untrue and unfair.

      The next day, my phone rang in the afternoon and he said,
      "before you say anything, let me talk. First of all, I have
      plowed my garden three times today and it didn't need the
      first time. Secondly, I'm sorry for what I said last night
      and I've called every board member to tell them I was wrong.

      "But the most important thing I want to tell you is this.
      If we all agreed, if we all had the same opinions, if we
      all had the same goals, there would be no need for boards,
      committees, or at times even organized religion. The nice
      thing is, that we do disagree and it pushes us to learn
      more, to be more passionate, and to learn that love isn't
      always an easy road."

      He said, "learn from the differences and enjoy the process
      of finding out how to get around them."

      It was the best advice I've ever been given. It has been
      my constant reason for loving someone I am disagreeing with
      and has kept many friends that some folks would walk away
      from.

      5. Become a Guardian Angel

      As you may already know, all contributions to Chi Rho
      Press are fully tax deductible. If you are able to make
      a financial gift to this ministry, we would welcome your
      support. Gifts and contributions of any size are welcome
      and appreciated!

      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send your check
      or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Thanks for your support!

      6. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Joy at the Tomb"
      from the Easter section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read John 20:1-2, 11-13a, and Psalm 30:5b

      During this holy season when we "celebrate" the death of
      Jesus on the cross (if celebrate is a word we can use) I
      cannot help but compare it to the death of my own companion
      from AIDS. Over the past years I have come to appreciate
      being a Christian much more fully. It is ironic that my
      companion would bring that out of me, his being Jewish,
      but then so was Jesus.

      This appreciation has to do with Easter Morning, for I know
      that in some very real way my personal loved one, like Jesus,
      has risen to be with the God of Creation. Life does not end
      with a tomb.

      Mary Magdalene, like most of us, went to the tomb to grieve
      and to honor the one she loved. Randy's parents and I often
      go to his tomb, and it is a good and respectful thing that
      we do that. But recently his parents did something that
      has added much to that experience, something that I think
      would make Jesus smile and give Randy a hug.

      Across from the grave marker, a very proper bronze plaque
      with Randy's full name and dates, they placed a beautiful
      granite bench with not his formal name but rather the name
      that those who loved him best called him, "The Randy Bear."

      So I go not just to Randy's tomb but to his bench, and I
      sit there and feel his presence and his love that comes
      not from the tomb, but rather from the sunshine of God's
      living creation. Jesus is there too, as he is present
      whenever God's love takes human form.

      Jesus left the tomb. He did not want to leave us with a
      place to go and weep as respectful as that may be. Rather,
      he wanted to teach us that it is the joy of life that is
      eternal, that God and those of God's children who have
      gone before us smile upon us and wish us long, full, and
      happy lives. Weeping may linger for a night, but joy
      comes in the morning. Happy Easter.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwi t.htm

      7. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Thurs., Mar. 31. St. Cyril of Alexandria. The
      Incarnation: The Incarnation is the mystery of
      God's dwelling as human with us, and therefore,
      should be a most important object of our
      contemplation. It was the passion of St. Cyril's
      life for he underwent toil and persecution and
      willingly sacrificed credit and friends for this.

      Fri., Apr. 1, St. Paul the Simple. Single-
      mindedness: We have only thing to do the will
      of God! We have only one thing to fear offense
      against God. One thing to hope for the
      possession of God's grace. Our actions
      should have only one motive the glory of God.

      Diversity Dates: Cancer Control Month
      National Child Abuse Prevention Month

      Sat., Apr. 2, St. Francis of Paola. Rely on God: Rely
      on God in all your difficulties. This reliance on God
      enabled St. Francis to do great miracles and will in
      direct proportion, do wonders for you by giving you
      strength and consolation. "All creatures obey those
      who serve God with a perfect heart," St. Francis of Paola.

      Sun., Apr. 3, St. Richard of Chichester. On being faithful:
      St. Richard performed his duties as a brother, chancellor,
      and bishop without a single thought of self-interest.
      Neglect of duty is the first sign that of self-love which
      ends in loss of grace. "Now it is required that those who
      have been given a trust must prove faithful" (1 Corinthians
      4:2).

      Mon., Apr. 4, St. Isidore of Seville (Patron saint:
      computer users). Flattery: Temptation's strength lies
      in something being flattering to our pride; or fits in
      with our laziness; or may be attractive to our passions.
      St. Isidore teaches us to listen neither to the promptings
      of our baser natures nor the plausible advice of friends
      when they contradict the voice of God. "By smooth talk
      and flattery they deceive the minds of naïve people"
      (Romans 16:18).

      Tues., Apr. 5, St. Vincent Ferrer (Patron saint: builders).
      There really is power in God's word: "Whatever you do, do
      not think of yourself but of God." St. Vincent preached in
      this spirit and when God speaks to us in the spirit, if we
      listen, we CAN hear the voice of God. "I must fulfill the
      commands I have received from God: God has commanded me
      to preach the judgment to all God's peoples," St. Vincent
      Ferrer.

      Wed., Apr. 6, St. Pambo. Watching what you say: When we
      think "saints" we think of their self-denial and the numerous
      mortifications they underwent, however if we just control
      what we say to others, we too can follow the saints'
      teachings. Watching what we say about ourselves, our
      beliefs and refrain from giving unsolicited opinions is
      very much within the realm of what we can do.

      Thurs., Apr. 7, St. John the Baptist de la Salle (Patron
      saint: teachers, educators). Be driven: "Be driven by the
      love of God because Jesus Christ died for all, that those
      who live may live not for themselves but for him, who died
      and rose for them. Above all, let your charity and zeal
      show how you love the Church. Your work is for the Church,
      which is the body of Christ," St. John the Baptist de la
      Salle.

      Diversity Date, World Health Day

      Fri., Apr. 8, St. Colette. Pray for our leaders: One of
      the great tests of being a good Christian is to pray for
      our church leaders and the leaders of our nation. "So
      Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly
      praying to God for him" (Acts 12:5).

      Sat., Apr. 9, Sts. Apollonius and Philemon. Gentleness:
      We wonder why when we discuss our faith with non-Christians,
      our discussions bear little fruit. It is because we think
      too much of ourselves, too little of charity and of truth
      We should forget ourselves, and learn to be humble and meek.
      Then Christ will speak for us.

      Sun., Apr. 10, St. Michael de Sanctis. Holy communion:
      The saints gave their whole lives to the preparation for
      communion and never felt fully prepared. We gripe about
      a short half hour of preparation every Sunday before
      taking communion and are perfectly content.

      Mon., Apr. 11, St. Gemma Galgani (Patron saint: pharmacists).
      Purity of words, deeds, and actions: "Look at what
      Jesus has suffered for us. Consider one by one these
      Wounds. It is Love that has opened them all. See how
      execrable (horrible) sin is, since to expiate it, so
      much pain and so much love have been necessary," St.
      Gemma Galganic. St. Gemma is one of the few stigmatists
      in the church's history.

      Tues., Apr. 12, St. Sabas the Goth. Serving faithfully:
      Most of our problems occur because we try to follow too
      many masters at the same time instead of following Christ
      first. Let us order our priorities and place first things
      first: all else will fall into place. "I am coming soon:
      Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your
      crown" (Revelations 3:11).

      Wed., Apr. 13, St. John of Egypt. Self-examination: St.
      John teaches us that the saints examine themselves minutely
      in the light of God's perfection, repent and do penance
      accordingly. We, on the other hand, judge ourselves by the
      standard of oth er people and rest satisfied with the findings.
      Yet it will be by divine perfection that we will be judged
      when we die.

      Thurs., Apr. 14, Bd. Lydwina (Patron saint: nurses). On
      pain: God gives us pain so that we can learn from it and
      grow in our reliance on God. Bd. Lydwina reminds us how
      great the rewards are for those who know and accept its
      value, learn from it, grown in love of Christ, and accept
      it as a mercy.

      Diversity Date, Pan American Day, Latin America: celebrates
      friendship between the United States and the Latin American
      countries.

      Fri., Apr. 15, Bd. Peter Gonzalez. Preaching: Everything
      spoken in the name of Christ that is biblically founded and
      that spreads His work IS the word of Christ, from whom all
      grace comes. Learn from Bd. Peter that none are beyond
      the power of such words, modestly but boldly proclaimed.
      "The sound of the words strikes the ear; the master teaches
      within," St. Augustine.

      Sat., Apr. 16, St. Benedict Labre. Reverence before the
      sacraments: Prayer and time spent meditating before the
      blessed sacrament is important time spent with God. If
      you have friends that live near you, you endeavor to spend
      time with them. So it is with Christ in the blessed
      sacrament. Take time to see God in the bread of life
      and give God time to see you praying.

      *****

      Order the 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      Do check out the two new titles added to our Remainder
      Table.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/remainders.html

      *****

      We urge you to invest in this ministry with $1,000 or more
      in Promissory Notes.

      This is an excellent investment for your church building
      fund, as well as for individuals who want to receive a
      good return on their investment while helping the LGBT
      community.

      Promissory Notes in $1,000 increments are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 6% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, and send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note upon the
      receipt of your check.

      *****

      We would like to have your input if you are one of the
      many Chi Rho Press customers who use our annual Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary in worship planning. Even though
      we are not far into this church year, our authors have
      begun work on the 2005-2006 edition so that it will be
      published well before the beginning of the next church
      year in November.

      Now is your chance to make suggestions. If you use this
      publication, we would like to hear from you about what
      you like about it that we should continue and how we
      might improve it to better meet your needs. Please send
      your comments to adam@....

      *****

      We invite you to join Chi Rho Press as a partner in ministry
      with Dr. Rembert Truluck. You may buy his wonderful
      and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html

      Or make a fully tax-deductible contribution by making
      your gift check out to Chi Rho Press, designate that
      it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo line, and send it
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898,
      USA. If you prefer, you may make your contribution on
      line at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Just note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com