Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 13, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 13, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      God blesses human beings

      "So God created humans in his own image, in the image
      of God they were created; male and female God created
      them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be
      fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue
      it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over
      the birds of the air and over every living thing that
      moves upon the earth.'"
      Genesis 1:27-28

      In the midst of all the drama, monotony, old stories,
      and proverbs there is a consistent theme in the Old
      Testament: God blesses human beings. The Old Testament
      is sometimes a strange and confusing book full of
      ancient customs and foreign sounding names. Full of
      Jewish religious rules and regulations, its pages are
      full of patriarchal language and male heroes while
      mentioning few strong female spiritual leaders. Human
      beings are shown at their best and worst. The Bible
      is full of human trickery and schemes for power,
      prestige, and safety. There are many things I do
      not understand or relate to in these sections as a
      twenty-first century, North American, female, Protestant
      minister. Yet I seek to understand God's blessing for
      me in the many biblical stories that tell of God's
      blessing women and men. (An interesting blessing
      sampler can be found in Genesis 27:27; Exodus 23:25;
      Deuteronomy 7:13 and 28:12; Job 1:10; Psalm 65:11,
      and Jeremiah 31:23.)

      God's blessing is so precious that people will steal,
      lie, and cheat to get it, but once spoken, it cannot be
      revoked, according to the ancients' understanding.
      Blessings consist of high value words that show respect,
      awe, reverence, and help people feel they are valuable.
      They give a loved one a sense of security and confidence
      to serve God and others in the future. These high value
      words convey powerful images and we see ourselves in them.
      A future without divine blessing is bleak indeed. All
      Old Testament blessings recognize God as the source of
      all blessings past, present, and future.

      It is possible, of course, to offer blessings without
      recognizing God as the powerful source of all blessedness.
      From time to time I have been specifically asked to perform
      weddings and funerals without any spiritual or religious
      component. For me, those ceremonies lack power and dignity.
      While, I respect those wishes, is not life difficult enough
      without depriving oneself of such a source of divine strength
      and comfort? God delights in blessing human beings. Why
      live without your blessing?

      God bless you.

      Bless us too, dear God, as only You can. Give us a future
      with hope. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find