Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 6, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 6, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra

      Our power to bless

      "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My
      brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so."
      James 3:10

      We can only bless others when we learn to bless
      ourselves. People want to be blessed and actually
      yearn for it. Many spend a lifetime in search of
      the blessing. Henri Nouwen suggests to us that
      "blessing is a true sign of the Beloved" (Nouwen,
      Henri. "Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in
      a Secular World," p. 56). We need blessing to live
      well. Blessing is an ancient, cherished tradition
      found in many cultures and is worth reclaiming for
      the twenty-first century.

      Every one of us has been given the power to bless
      or curse ourselves and others. The power to bless
      is as close as our fingertips, as close as the words
      in our mouths. A future without blessing is bleak
      indeed. Blessings say "yes" to our belovedness.
      Blessing helps us find inner strength and empowerment,
      and to achieve our fullest potential.

      Cursing is destructive. It brings much harm and
      creates deep spiritual injuries. Cursing ridicules,
      demeans, rejects the other's belovedness, limits
      their potential, and accelerates negative and self-
      defeating behavior.

      What happens if we do not get blessing from those
      we love? It is intensely heart wrenching when we
      are either denied a blessing or we lose it through
      deeply personal words from those we love. Families
      that withhold or deny blessings hurt their children.
      Rejection and ridicule can be bitter pills to swallow.

      I once preached a sermon on today's verse. An engaged
      couple was in the congregation. They were so impressed
      with the power of blessing that they chose to include
      blessings as part of their wedding vows. I now include
      blessing materials in all my premarital and holy union
      counseling. Blessings beget blessing. Cursing begets

      Which will be your legacy? Blessing or cursing?

      God, watch my mouth today. Teach me how to bless
      others and myself. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find