Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 20, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 20, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Body prayer

      "Preserve me, O God, for in thee I take refuge."
      Psalm 16:1

      Today I want to teach you a body prayer I learned
      several years ago at the Shalem Institute for
      Spiritual Formation. I began teaching it in
      contemplative prayer workshops and churches and
      sometimes used it while inviting people to the
      communion table. I have seen many people
      responding to its power in interfaith groups.
      Perhaps it will be a blessing for you today.
      As you move and breathe, feel free to adapt it
      however you are most comfortable. It can be
      helpful for crisis, stress, and times of inner
      chaos and confusion.

      The body movements are simple. Find a quiet and
      private place where you will not be interrupted.
      Either stand or sit in a comfortable position.
      Relax and prepare yourself with simply breathing
      in the word "love" and then breathing out the word
      "peace." When you are ready, gently place your
      hands together in the universal prayer position.
      Raise your arms up to the sky with all your spoken
      and unspoken questions and feelings. Slowly open
      your arms and your spirit to the answers you will
      receive in your interior center. Linger as long
      as you are comfortable. When you wish to move on,
      quietly and tenderly hug yourself in a spirit of
      gentleness and kindness. Quietly open your hands
      to be more available and attentive to your spirit.
      Repeat these simple body movements for wordless
      meditation several times. Rest. Be. Wait.
      Enjoy your quiet inner spirit. Perhaps journal
      a word, a phrase, a sentence of what happened in
      your prayer.

      God, bless this simple body prayer beyond our
      expectations. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find