Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 13, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 13, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Inner wellness and empowerment

      "For 'In God we live and move and have our being'"
      Acts 17:28a

      We can experience empowering inner wellness by
      practicing simple symbolic body movements enjoyed
      over the centuries by followers of many spiritual
      traditions. All of us can do these ordinary
      movements. Touching a tree, taking a walk,
      lying in the grass, and even dancing can help
      us experience a sense of wellness. Body
      empowerment and wellness can be experienced
      through carefully planned periods of fasting
      or eating.

      Our bodies help us be more open and available to
      our interior center. Attention to our bodies is
      integral to our spiritual lives. Posture, breath,
      movement, gestures, clothing, and diet all affect
      our inner being and spirit.

      Even when our bodies betray us through illness,
      physical suffering, and aging, they can help us
      live gracefully, peacefully, and joyfully. One
      recent article in a Spiritual Directors' magazine
      caught my attention. The author shared the insight
      that even our diseases help our prayers (Earle, Mary.
      "Reading the Text of an Illness." "Presence: The
      Journal of Spiritual Directors International," 6:1
      (2000) pp. 7-11). Quietly repeat the name of your
      illness. Let it become your prayer. Meditate on
      what this means for you, and where you discern God's
      loving, holy presence. Consider writing your
      prayers. Our bodies help us pray as we age and
      experience health, illness, and trauma.

      God, even if my body is aging and failing me, help
      me pray with the body I have. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find