Chi Rho Press' 26th eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2000
      Twenty-sixth eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass
      thiseNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail may be directed to Adam@.... See the end of this
      eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Featured Books Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT Presbyterians
      2. New Staff Hours
      3. Media Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5
      4. Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse in Spanish
      5. Mid-Atlantic District Conference, Oct. 20-21, Hagerstown, MD
      6. www.OutVote2000.org
      7. Printer for sale!

      1. Featured Books “Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians”

      Now more than ever, it is important to hear the voices of LGBT people of
      faith. Our first anthology, “Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians” is a good place to start. Edited by lesbian evangelist the
      Rev.
      Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and Melinda McLain, “Called
      OUT” is in its second printing with Chi Rho Press.

      Though “Called OUT” contains the faith stories of 40 gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered Presbyterians, it is not just a book for Presbyterians, but
      it is a book for all people of faith who are in the LGBT community, who are
      non-gay friends and allies, or who are struggling with the issue of
      homosexuality in the church. Read this book and get to know the real face of
      LGBT spirituality.

      You may order “Called OUT” on our web page at www.ChiRhoPress.com using our
      handy shopping cart and your credit card. “Called OUT” sells for $17.95, six
      or more copies are $15.25 each.

      The holidays are coming and “Called OUT” will make a wonderful gift!

      2. New Staff Hours

      Kevin Stone Fries begins work as our new Editor/Office Manager tomorrow,
      Wednesday, Oct. 18. He will be working each week on Wednesday, Thursday, and
      Friday, from 10 am until 7 pm.

      The Friday of Kevin's first week of work, however, he will be at the
      Mid-Atlantic District Conference (see article number 5 in this eNews).

      We are very excited about Kevin coming to work at the Chi Rho Press office
      in a
      paid position. Our old friends will remember that Kevin has served as
      Assistant Editor and now Editor of the Press for almost three years. We kid
      him about his prodigious editorial skills, calling him "The Butcher of
      Gaithersburg," but we are confident his slashing blue pencil will not do too
      much damage in the Press offices! He is an editor and writer of great skill
      and expertise and he will bring a lot of marketing skills to us at the
      Press as
      well.

      Please join us in welcoming Kevin to the paid staff of Chi Rho Press.

      3 Media Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5

      Roberta Showalter Kreider will be speaking at Imago Dei MCC in Media, PA, on
      Sunday, Nov. 5, at 1 pm. Roberta is the editor of the anthology "From Wounded
      Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People and
      Those Who Love Them".

      Roberta's husband, Rev. Harold Kreider, a retired Mennonite minister, will be
      sharing his story as well. Kevin and Adam will be going up to Media to assist
      Roberta and other authors of "From Wounded Hearts" in signing copies of this
      wonderful anthology.

      The book signing and discussion will be held at the Unitarian Universalist
      Church of Delaware County, 145 West Rose Tree Road, Media, PA. For more
      information or directions, contact Imago Dei MCC at 610/724-2146, or visit
      their web site at www.ImagoDeiMCC.org.

      If you are in the Philadelphia/Delaware County area, please join us for this
      event!

      4. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" in Spanish?

      Please don’t forget the fund to translate and publish “Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse” in Spanish. If you would like to be part of this initiative,
      please send your checks or money order, made out to Chi Rho Press, to us at
      P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Note that it is for "Steps in Spanish"
      in the memo line of your check.

      5 Mid-Atlantic District Conference, Oct. 20-21, Hagerstown, MD

      Kevin Fries and Adam DeBaugh will be attending the UFMCC Mid-Atlantic District
      Conference, Friday and Saturday, Oct. 20 and 21, at the Ramada Inn and
      Conference Center in Hagerstown, MD. The theme of the conference is
      "Discipleship 2000: Beyond the Walls."

      Kevin and I will be staffing a Chi Rho Press bookstore at the conference all
      day Friday and Saturday, as well as attending the worship services and the
      awards banquet Friday evening. If you are in the Hagerstown area, please join
      us and don't forget to stop by at the conference bookstore! Call the District
      Office at 717/898-3713 for more information about the conference.

      6 OutVote2000

      We have found a wonderful new web site that is dedicated to getting out the
      LGBT vote on Nov. 7: http://www.OutVote2000.org Here is what they say about
      themselves:

      “For too long lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender voices have been less
      than
      visible in elections. OutVote2000 seeks to increase voter participation, will
      add to the growing body of qualitative and quantitative research being done
      about voting behaviors of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and
      will also research information about allied voters. Between six and ten
      percent of the voting population identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual and
      transgender. About 40% of the population says they know someone who is gay,
      lesbian, bisexual or transgender. During the 2000 election, OutVote2000 will
      conduct research, field work, advertising and online efforts to gather more
      information about the size and behavior of this important and emerging voting
      population.

      “Whether you be Republican, Democrat, Reform, Green, Independent or other
      party, the important thing to know is that your voice be heard as an out
      lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender voter.

      “Your voice matters. Your vote counts. In 2000, Come OUT and into the voting
      booth! As lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people it is critical that
      our voices are heard and that our votes are counted in this election. That
      will only happen if you take action today. This web site provides a central
      location for links where you can become more informed about people running for
      office or ballot initiatives in your hometown. Be informed and make your vote
      count.

      “OutVote2000 is a nonpartisan effort to encourage lesbian, gay, bisexual and
      transgender people to make their voices heard by voting this year and is
      sponsored as a public service by the Gill Operating Foundation, based in
      Denver, CO.

      “OutVote2000 is an effort comprised of field organizing, including
      advertising,
      direct mail and phone banks, online activism and public opinion research to
      encourage lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to vote.

      “The Gill Operating Foundation runs programs that encourage capacity building
      among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender organizations including its
      OutGiving technical assistance and training department and is affiliated with
      the Gill Foundation, the largest foundation in the country focusing on
      lesbian,
      gay, bisexual and transgender issues.”

      We are Chi Rho Press encourage you to go to the OutVote2000 web site at
      http://www.OutVote2000.org and join their effort.

      7. Printer for Sale

      Chi Rho Press has a printer for sale. It is an Okidata Microline 320 Turbo, 9
      Pin printer. It has never been used and was bought a year ago. $200 or best
      offer write Adam@... if you are interested.

      8. Adam's Last Word.

      Well, this is it! Kevin Stone Fries, our Editor/Office Manager, starts work
      tomorrow, on Wednesday, October 18. A new desk has been installed, I have
      cleaned up a lot of piles of paper and files, and we have begun a
      reorganization of our sales files to make it easier for Kevin to work.

      This is an exciting time of transition and change for Chi Rho Press. We have
      great hopes for Kevin’s tenure at the Press and we are looking forward to
      being
      able to serve our customers and partners in ministry much more efficiently and
      effectively.

      Please visit our web site at www.ChiRhoPress.com and see the changes that are
      happening there! We are continuing to make improvements and to add to our web
      site. We would love to have you visit!

      We are also beginning to get ready for the Soulforce demonstrations at the
      Catholic Bishops’ meeting here in DC next month. Watching the events
      unfold in
      Yugoslavia, I was struck again by the effectiveness of “satyagraha,”
      non-violent civil disobedience.

      The revolution that toppled Slobodan Milosovitch in Serbia was not without
      some
      violence and a few deaths and injuries. But for the most part, what removed
      the dictator wasn’t the NATO bombs that fell on Serbia, the loss of Kosovo, or
      even the election results, it was the mass of ordinary people who took to the
      streets demanding a new government.

      The Rev. Mel White, continues to be one of the most important and visionary
      leaders in the LGBT community today. His use of the “satyagraha” or
      “soulforce” principles of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr., are a
      driving force behind this new phase of the struggle for full acceptance and
      integration of sexual minority persons in the churches.

      The sad thing is that bigotry and homophobia in the Christian church seems to
      be a more difficult nut to crack than ending Communist regimes throughout
      eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, and ending a brutal dictator’s
      reign in Yugoslavia. But those same Soulforce principles which have changed
      the face of Europe and Russia will work, must work, in our own churches.

      Other forms of activism must accompany the nonviolent resistance of Soulforce
      to anti-gay intolerance, bigotry, and homophobia. It is vitally important
      for all LGBT people and our supporters to vote this election day in the U.S.
      that is why you can find information about www.OutVote2000.org in this
      eNewsletter. The presidential election will shape not only the dialogue about
      sexual minority issues in the coming years, but it will affect the lives of
      all
      LGBT people directly. It is essential for all of us to vote, and to be aware
      of the candidates’ positions on issues that are important to us.

      Saturday, October 7, was the second anniversary of Matthew Shepard’s beating
      and murder. The heinous attack in the Backstreet Café, a gay bar in Roanoke,
      Virginia, is still fresh in our minds. We can not be silent in the face of
      this kind of terrorism. All that is required for evil to triumph is for good
      people to do nothing, a wise person once said.

      So vote! Lobby your legislators! Write letters to the editor! Come out to
      someone who doesn’t know you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered!
      Join an LGBT organization! Support your LGBT religious organizations! Get
      your parents involved in PFLAG!

      Support Soulforce (www.Soulforce.org) with your financial contributions, your
      prayers, and your presence in Washington in November! Buy books from Chi Rho
      Press (www.ChiRhoPress.com) especially “Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse” by
      Dr. Rembert Truluck, which has excellent guidelines on how to respond to the
      religious right!

      And you Americans, VOTE on Nov. 7!

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions,
      please write to Question@.... For comments and suggestions about
      this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... You may pay by credit card on our web page or we will
      ship your order after receiving your check or money order. Include your
      e-mail
      address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We now accept credit
      cards on
      our web page!

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre
      St., Odessa, ONT., Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...; phone or
      fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager, Kevin@...

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Director
      Subscribe to our free Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our convenient shopping
      cart and pay on line using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com