25th eNewsletter from Chi Rho Press

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2000
      Twenty-fifth eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail may be directed to Adam@.... See the end of
      this eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. New Staff Hours
      2. Director Preaches in Harrisburg
      3 Media Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5
      4 �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� in Spanish?
      5 Mid-Atlantic District Conference, Oct. 20-21, Hagerstown, MD
      6 Three Models of Church
      7 Adam's Last Word

      1. New Staff Hours

      Kevin Stone Fries will begin work as our new Editor/Office Manager on
      Wednesday, Oct. 18. He will be working each week on Wednesday, Thursday, and
      Friday, from 10 am until 6:30 pm.

      The Friday of Kevin�s first week of work, however, he will be at the
      Mid-Atlantic District Conference (see article number 6).

      We are very excited about Kevin coming to work at the Chi Rho Press office
      in a
      paid position. Our old friends will remember that Kevin has served as
      Assistant Editor and now Editor of the Press for almost three years. We kid
      him about his prodigious editorial skills, calling him �The Butcher of
      Gaithersburg,� but we are confident his slashing blue pencil will not do too
      much damage in the Press offices! He is an editor and writer of great skill
      and expertise and he will bring a lot of marketing skills to us at the
      Press as
      well.

      Please join us in welcoming Kevin to the paid staff of Chi Rho Press.

      2 Director Preaches in Harrisburg

      Chi Rho Press Director Adam DeBaugh was invited to preach in Harrisburg on
      Sept. 24. Here�s his report:

      MCC of the Spirit (Harrisburg, PA) is a wonderful worshiping community, filled
      with music, prayer, praise, and steadfast, faithful people. The pastor, the
      Rev. Eva O�Diam, is on sabbatical through the end of October and I was one of
      many guest preachers who filled the pulpit in Pastor Eva�s absence, preaching
      at the 10:30 am and the 7 pm services on Sunday, Sept. 24.

      MCC of the Spirit owns an office building, which they have converted into a
      beautiful church space with a lovely sanctuary, offices, meeting space,
      fellowship hall, kitchen, and church bookstore. The music program is truly
      excellent, with a 11-piece orchestra playing the Sunday I was there at the
      10:30 am service, the largest of the three Sunday worship services. Music
      Director Dave Lambert has been able to recruit young people from families in
      the church to play in the church orchestra (some play at MCC in addition to
      their school bands). Some of the musicians I heard were 11 and 12 years old!
      And the music was amazing and beautiful!

      It was good to see one of our authors playing the organ. David Glasgow is now
      a student at Lancaster Theological Seminary and also plays with the music
      department at MCC of the Spirit. David is one of the authors in the anthology
      �From Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
      Transgendered People and Those Who Love Them�. His parents also wrote a
      chapter in this excellent anthology.

      One of the best things about the building is the bookstore (of course, as a
      publisher, I may be biased!). Ginny Rogers supervises the bookstore, in a
      room
      of its own directly to the left as you enter the main doors of the church
      building. We were pleased to see a number of our titles prominently featured
      on their well-stocked shelves, and Ginny and her assistant Audrey ordered more
      copies of �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� and �The Bible and
      Homosexuality� while I was there. Ginny reports that these two books are
      especially good sellers in her church bookstore.

      I was able to spend a long afternoon with Ginny, her partner Josie, and their
      daughter Dawn (who had just turned 10, happy birthday Dawn!), and we
      brainstormed about marketing ideas for the Press. They had lots of great
      ideas, which I am passing on to Kevin Stone Fries, our new Office Manager.

      I also got to spend some time with two remarkable transgendered women, Susan
      and Alberta Hamm. Alberta runs the bookstore at the Mid-Atlantic District
      Conferences and she is a valued friend and trusted advisor. And it was great
      to reconnect with some old friends who have stayed with MCC in Harrisburg
      through some bad times and good times, Fern Gaffey, David Farney, Judy
      Ruppert,
      Manny Constantine, and many others.

      Many thanks to Pastor Eva O�Diam, the assistant pastors Bob Life and Steve
      Filizzi, and all the people who helped make my visit to Harrisburg a joyous
      blessing!

      3 Media Booksigning and Discussion, Nov. 5

      Roberta Showalter Kreider will be speaking at Imago Dei MCC in Media, PA, on
      Sunday, Nov. 5, at 1 pm. Roberta is the editor of the anthology �From Wounded
      Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People and
      Those Who Love Them�.

      Roberta�s husband, Rev. Harold Kreider, a retired Mennonite minister, will be
      sharing his story as well. Kevin and Adam will be going up to Media to assist
      Roberta and other authors of �From Wounded Hearts� in signing copies of this
      wonderful anthology.

      Five authors of �From Wounded Hearts� will be there to share their stories,
      Douglas Alderfer, Robin Austin, Dr. Helen Rawson Early, Sherry Franklin, and
      Jacquelin Marish.

      The book signing and discussion will be held at the Unitarian Universalist
      Church of Delaware County, 145 West Rose Tree Road, Media, PA. For more
      information or directions, contact Imago Dei MCC at 610/724-2146, or visit
      their web site at www.ImagoDeiMCC.org.

      If you are in the Philadelphia/Delaware County area, please join us for this
      event!

      4. �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� in Spanish?

      Integrity/Virginia and the remarkably energetic Tom Rouland started the ball
      rolling for Dr. Rembert Truluck�s very successful two-week book tour this last
      July and August. Our visit to the Integrity/Virginia mass and potluck supper
      was a highlight of the tour.

      At that event, Tom began another initiative by giving Chi Rho Press a check to
      launch a fund for the translation and publication of Dr. Truluck�s book,
      �Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse� into Spanish. The Integrity/Virginia chapter
      has
      followed up this initiative with a second check. So we have a fund set aside
      for the translation of �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� into Spanish.

      People in Mexico are already working on the translation but we need a lot
      more
      money if we are to help get the translation finished, proof-read, and
      published
      in a Spanish edition. Can you help?

      If you would like to be part of this initiative, please send your checks or
      money order, made out to Chi Rho Press, to us at P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898. Note that it is for �Steps in Spanish� in the memo line of your
      check.

      Thank you, Tom and Integrity, for your vision!

      5 Mid-Atlantic District Conference, Oct. 20-21, Hagerstown, MD

      Kevin Fries and Adam DeBaugh will be attending the UFMCC Mid-Atlantic District
      Conference, Friday and Saturday, Oct. 20 and 21, at the Ramada Inn and
      Conference Center in Hagerstown, MD. The theme of the conference is
      �Discipleship 2000: Beyond the Walls.�

      The Conference brochures says the conference will focus on key words such as
      social justice, ecumenism, interfaith, healing, hope, heaven, making ministry
      relevant, restoration, claiming, meeting people where they are, expanding
      ministry, living out the vision, and doing ministry with quality. The
      scriptural theme is from Isaiah 58, �I want you to share your bread with the
      hungry, open your homes to the homeless and poor, remove the yoke of
      injustice,
      let the oppressed go free.�

      Kevin and I will be staffing a Chi Rho Press bookstore at the conference all
      day Friday and Saturday, as well as attending the worship services and the
      awards banquet Friday evening. If you are in the Hagerstown area, please join
      us and don�t forget to stop by at the conference bookstore! Call the
      District
      Office at 717/898-3713 for more information.

      6 Three Models of Church

      by Adam DeBaugh

      In discussing their churches with a number of people recently, most of whom
      are
      part of MCC congregations, I was asked to reflect on models of church,
      relating
      a local church to some other institutions. It occurred to me that on one
      level
      churches fall into one of three models that have some things in common with
      the
      health care industry. I would like to chat with you a little about these
      three
      models and invite your response.

      The first model is that of Church as Hospice. In the Church as Hospice,
      people
      who are �sick� emotionally, spiritually, sometimes mentally, and sometimes
      even physically come to the church. But they don�t really come for healing,
      and the church doesn�t proactively seek to heal them. Rather they come with
      their comfortable illness, and stay there until they die.

      The second model is that of Church as Hospital. In the Church as Hospital
      model, the church has an active ministry of healing those who are sick
      emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and even physically. People come to the
      church for spiritual or emotional healing, which the church works hard to help
      provide. But because there isn�t much else going on, when the people are
      healed, they leave the church.

      The third model (and the one which I advocate) is a more holistic model of
      Church as Community. In the Church as Community, people come in many
      stages of
      health and wholeness, and parts of the church are very good as hospicing dying
      people, and healing those who want healing. But there are other ministries,
      other programs, other calls on the life of the Church as Community, so that
      when people are healed, they are encouraged to stay because they are part of a
      community of faith.

      The Church as Community contains hospital and hospice, just like any
      successful
      community, but there is much more going on there.

      What kind of church is yours?

      7 Adam's Last Word.

      Hi folks! Happy autumn! I am working hard to clean up the office for Kevin�s
      start as our new office manager. We are very excited about this, though it
      means a real leap of faith and a risk for the Press. I remain convinced that
      this is a good move and the right thing to do.

      More and more of you are going to our Web site and taking advantage of our
      shopping cart and paying for your purchases with your credit cards for
      which I
      am very grateful. Dotti Berry and her crew at D3 Innovations are doing a
      wonderful job on our Web site. Watch for continued improvements to the Web
      site at www.ChiRhoPress.com.

      Our eNewsletter subscription list topped 800 recently! We do seem to get a
      lot
      of bounces each time we send out an eNews. It is amazing how often people
      change their e-mail accounts. Please remember to tell us if you change your
      e-mail, so we can keep you on the list!

      I hope that October is filled with wonderful things for you all. It is an
      incredibly exciting month for us, with Kevin starting, the Mid-Atlantic
      District Conference in Hagerstown, and leading up to the book signing in Media
      on Nov. 5.

      Have a great month!

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions,
      please write to Question@.... For comments and suggestions about
      this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... You may pay by credit card on our web page or we will
      ship your order after receiving your check or money order. Include your
      e-mail
      address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We now accept credit
      cards on
      our web page!

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre
      St., Odessa, ONT., Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...; phone or
      fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Director
      Subscribe to our free Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our convenient shopping
      cart and pay on line using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com