Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 19, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 19, 2004

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Please read the passage from the Gospel and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      A praise hymn of liberation theology

      "And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my
      spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for God has regarded
      the low estate of God's handmaiden. For behold,
      henceforth all generations will call me blessed.'"
      Luke 1:46-48

      I could easily listen to Christmas music year round,
      never tiring of the wonderful carols of faith, hope,
      and love. One of the great seasonal joys is the
      many lessons and carols offered by various churches,
      and attending the marvelous Christmas concerts. Who
      has not thrilled to Ave Maria and the Magnificat,
      inspired by Mary, the holy mother of God, the revered
      theotokos (God-bearer)?

      The Virgin Mary is the most beloved woman in the
      entire Bible. Her faith journey has inspired millions
      throughout the centuries. While living in obscurity,
      the young teenager was literally touched by the angel
      Gabriel, with a very special message from God. When
      Mary said "yes" to God's plan for her life, world
      history changed forever. The young woman became
      pregnant with God.

      After her angelic visit, the miraculously pregnant
      teenager hastened to seek the companionship of Elizabeth.
      Elizabeth was an aged relative well beyond childbearing
      years. Somehow she too had conceived and was miraculously
      pregnant with the child who would become known as John
      the Baptist.

      Young Mary and elderly Elizabeth spent three encouraging
      months together (Luke 1:56). Both understood God had
      divinely chosen them to birth remarkable children for
      a holy purpose beyond their comprehension.

      Upon Mary's arrival, while overcome with emotion the
      younger woman burst into a hymn of praise, now known
      as the Magnificat (Luke 1:46-56). Mary understood all
      generations would call her blessed. Her glorious hymn
      is among the most cherished in all of scripture, possibly
      inspired by an earlier hymn of praise by a woman named
      Hannah (1 Samuel 2:1-10).

      Mary joyously sings of the amazing spiritual revolution
      God has called her to participate in, through the birth
      of her remarkable child. She sings of liberation
      theology, worship, and of God's remarkable compassion
      for the outcast, downtrodden, oppressed, and forgotten
      people in the world.

      If you have never heard the Magnificat sung before, I
      urge you to do so this year. Consider memorizing parts
      of her hymn through the lovely words in Luke's gospel.
      Your soul and spirit will rejoice.

      With Mary, my soul glorifies and rejoices in you, God
      my Savior. You are as mindful of my humble state, as
      you were with young Mary. Blessed be your name forever
      and ever. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" will make a wonderful Christmas
      gift for your friends and family and is available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at