Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 12, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 12, 2004

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Please read the passage from the Psalm and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      Teddy bears and caring friends

      "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death
      of the saints."
      Psalm 116:15

      Months before Grandpa's death, Grandma had asked
      me to perform his funeral. That funeral was one
      of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.
      I will always remember Grandma sitting in front
      of me, surrounded by their numerous grandchildren,
      great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren,
      as I preached the homily. They had been married
      for seventy-two years. The funeral home was
      overflowing with visitors. Many had traveled
      great distances to comfort Grandma in her grief
      and bereavement.

      Before the casket was closed, many people gravely
      walked to the casket for a final viewing. One of
      the great great grandchildren quietly placed her
      cherished teddy bear in the casket so her beloved
      Grandpapa would have a toy to play with in heaven.

      In that moment, a little child taught us a great
      truth about God's love and concern for grieving
      people. We are precious to God. God cares when
      our hearts are sorrowing. Someday there will be
      a heavenly reunion with loved ones. Death is not
      the end, only a transition into another life. So
      pack your teddy bears for an eternity of playtime
      with God. Sorrow will someday be turned into joy.

      The Christmas season sometimes brings overpowering
      memories of grief over the loss of loved ones. Be
      gentle and considerate of people in grief while
      honoring your own feelings of sadness. Perhaps
      a bereaved friend needs a teddy bear for comfort,
      a hug, and your companionship. A great gift for
      people in sorrow is our time and compassion long
      after the funeral is over. Although sharing old
      photos and memories may not fit into a Christmas
      stocking, your holiday visit might promote healing
      and some relief from loneliness. Be especially
      sensitive to closeted gay and lesbian friends who
      lack sympathetic and loving public recognition of
      their losses of life partners and friends. Our
      world does not always honor such loving relationships.
      Who knows? They might need a teddy bear from a
      caring friend.

      Compassionate God, thank you for the comfort of
      teddy bears and caring friends. As Christmas
      approaches, help me be sensitive to those in
      public and private sorrow. Bring to my attention
      those in need of a hug, a visit, and my listening
      ear this holiday season. In Jesus' name I pray,

      "Living as the Beloved" will make a wonderful Christmas
      gift for your friends and family and is available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at