Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 5, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 5, 2004

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Please read the passage from Proverbs and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      Envy versus contentment

      "A tranquil mind gives life to the flesh, but
      passion makes the bones rot."
      Proverbs 14:30

      True contentment is characterized by God's deep
      peace within our hearts. Wealth cannot buy this
      priceless treasure. Envy on the other hand, destroys
      inner serenity.

      Deep-seated jealousies rob people of deep contentment
      and can take years off their lives. Envy consumes
      and destroys peace of mind and happiness.

      Over the years, I have known many individuals whose
      consuming envy literally destroyed their health along
      with the well being of their families. Such toxic
      and life-draining envy is worse than poison. Envying
      another person's lover, family, career, achievements,
      possessions, and money only brings discontentment
      with great potential for destruction.

      To find personal deep abiding contentment, individuals
      must learn to take responsibility for their life choices
      and actions. Their blame games must stop. Otherwise
      they will be as forever restless as a breaking wave on
      the ocean, constantly searching for an ever-illusive
      contentment. In the process, toxic perspectives spill
      over and contaminate the lives of others.

      There is a transforming cure for such life-draining,
      toxic envy and discontent. Begin a lifestyle of
      counting your blessings. Daily offer heartfelt
      prayers of gratitude for the little things in your
      life. Develop your own personal theology of enough.
      As you learn to be satisfied with what you have, be
      grateful and express your appreciation through prayer.
      Be courageous enough to look deep within your heart for
      sources of your discontent. Humbly ask God for a change
      of heart. Reach out for help. The life you save may be
      your own.

      God, you are my ultimate source of satisfaction and
      contentment. Transform my heart and mind with a fresh
      attitude of gratitude and deep peace. Heal me from
      envy. Give me courage when needed to change
      destructive, bitter, and jealous attitudes wherever
      they may exist. Make me a source of blessing in the
      process. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" will make a wonderful Christmas
      gift for your friends and family and is available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at