Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 28, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 28, 2004

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Please read the passage from Mark's Gospel and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      Life after death

      "Taking her by the hand Jesus said to her, 'Tal'itha
      cu'mi;' which means, 'Little girl, I say to you,
      arise.' And immediately the girl got up and walked
      (she was twelve years of age), and they were
      immediately overcome with amazement. And he
      strictly charged them that no one should know
      this, and told them to give her something to eat."
      Mark 5:41-43

      I love stories with a happy ending. When the
      disbelieving crowd of mourners departed to another
      area, only then would Jesus perform his astonishing
      miracle. He did it in relative seclusion, away from
      the prying eyes of those who ridiculed him. In the
      presence of the little girl's parents, and Peter,
      James, and John, Jesus gently took the little girl's
      hand and said in Aramaic, "Little girl, I say to you,
      get up!" The Bible tells us the twelve-year-old girl
      awoke from the dead, stood up, and walked. She who
      had once been dead was now alive.

      It is impossible to know who was most astonished.
      We can only imagine the tears of joy running down
      the parents' faces. Even the seasoned disciples,
      so accustomed to Jesus' amazing powers, were
      flabbergasted. They had seen Jesus do incredible
      things but to raise someone from the dead! They
      were speechless. Perhaps even the little girl was
      surprised at all the fuss being made about her.
      She was not only very much alive, but even hungry.
      Jesus, grinning with delight, reunited the living
      child to her forever-grateful parents. The little
      bedroom formerly filled with such sorrow and despair,
      was now full of happy laughter and celebration.
      Jesus had to gently remind the ecstatic parents
      to give their daughter something to eat.

      So why would Jesus then hush the joyful parents and
      disciples, admonishing them to be silent about this
      miracle? As Jesus' popularity among the common
      people of that area grew, so did his opposition
      from religious leaders. It would only be a matter
      of time before the religious authorities would plot
      and scheme for his death. But as much as the grateful
      parents wanted to keep this miracle secret, the word
      of this amazing event would immediately fly around
      the Galilean countryside the moment the little girl
      walked out of her bedroom.

      What can we learn from this amazing story about faith,
      hope, and love? In my opinion, Jesus is more than a
      miracle worker, he can raise the dead. For the
      believer, death is not the end. We can have hope
      beyond the grave and look forward to reuniting with
      loved ones in eternity. This is what I believe.
      What do you believe about this amazing story?

      O God, thank you for this amazing story of faith,
      hope, and love. Give us the eyes of faith to see
      this miracle of life after death. Bless us with
      hope beyond the grave. We pray for these things
      in the powerful name of Jesus Christ, who can raise
      the dead. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" will make a wonderful Christmas
      gift for your friends and family and is available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at