Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 19

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 19

      1. A Statement from the Presiding Bishop,
      The Episcopal Church, USA
      2. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published!
      3. New Board Member, the Rev. Rob Taylor
      4. Do Your Holiday Shopping Now
      at ChiRhoPress.com
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      "Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect
      that God is just."
      Thomas Jefferson

      "As democracy is perfected, the office of president
      represents, more and more closely, the inner soul
      of the people. On some great and glorious day the
      plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
      desire at last and the White House will be adorned
      by a downright moron."
      July 26, 1920, H.L. Mencken

      1. A Statement from the Presiding Bishop,
      The Episcopal Church, USA

      [Episcopal News Service] Having come through one
      of the most vitriolic and divisive election campaigns
      any of us has ever experienced, we now look ahead to
      the next four years and the continuing leadership of
      President Bush. For many of our fellow citizens this
      is a cause for rejoicing. For others it is an occasion
      for despair. Given the polarizing rhetoric that has
      been employed throughout the campaign, it may be very
      difficult to find our way forward. Therefore, what
      is needed now on all sides is a genuine effort to move
      beyond entrenched positions and to seek common ground.
      What is needed now is a unifying vision, clearly
      articulated, of our great nation as a servant of all
      the world's peoples in their yearning after justice
      and peace.

      Our President has consistently named his religious
      faith as the guiding force of his decisions, and our
      nation proclaims in the "Pledge of Allegiance" that
      we are one nation "under God." Such obedience to
      God obliges us to look always to the well-being of
      a world broken and bleeding, which God loves so much
      that he came among us in the person of Jesus to
      reconcile to himself and to save. Such obedience
      obliges us to ground our national policies in much
      more than self-interest and self-protection.

      Let us pray that in the difficult and challenging
      days ahead we together, regardless of our several
      points of view, along with our President, may be
      faithful to what the Lord requires. And, as the
      prophet Micah tells us, what the Lord requires is
      "to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk
      humbly with your God."

      The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
      Presiding Bishop and Primate
      The Episcopal Church, USA

      November 3, 2004

      2. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published

      The new liturgical year begins in just a few weeks.
      There is still time to purchase your copy of the new
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year A, November
      2004 through November 2005, compiled by Raye-Anne
      Dorn and the Rev. Clay Witt. $11.95 each, six or
      more copies, $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce a brand new
      Liturgical Calendar for the coming 2004-2005 church
      year. The Liturgical Calendar features readings from
      the Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle. Our Liturgical
      Calendar is packed with useful information for
      planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year.
      It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone
      using the Church Year as a basis for worship or
      education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½"
      x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent,
      or Proper 20) with alternative descriptions where
      appropriate. The Revised Common Lectionary readings,
      including a brief summary of each reading.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience,
      and Special Events and secular and Jewish holidays
      for the week which the congregation may want to
      remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship
      Planning section which serve to explain in more
      detail information about the time of the church year,
      provide resources for further study and information,
      and develop liturgical themes to make your worship
      experience more rich and meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn. For every day of the year, Raye-Anne
      gives us a traditional saint, with a brief overview
      of an important theme for which the saint is
      remembered and what that particular saint can
      teach us. Some Diversity Dates are also included,
      special occasions for celebrations of diversity,
      such as special celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepard).

      The 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal.

      *****

      You may now order the 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary on the Chi Rho Press Web site at this
      link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      You may also order by sending your order, along with
      your name, address, telephone, and credit card name
      and expiration date by e-mail (to Orders@...),
      snail mail (to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898), or telephone or fax (at 301/926-1208). Or if
      you prefer you may send a check or money order to our
      post office box.

      The Liturgical Calendar is $11.95 each, six or more
      copies are $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.

      3. New Board Member, the Rev. Rob Taylor

      Please welcome a new member to the Board of Directors
      of Chi Rho Press, your LGBT Christian publishing house,
      the Rev. Rob Taylor.

      Rob was born and raised in the Hudson Valley of New
      York State, north of New York City. He was married
      to his High School girlfriend and they have five
      children: Siobhan, age 20, Brittany, 17, Kayla, 16,
      Ryan, 14, and Chelsea, 12.

      He was ordained a United Methodist and has served
      numerous parishes in Central Pennsylvania since 1988.
      From 1992-95, Rob taught religion and was Associate
      Director of Youth Ministry for the Roman Catholic
      Diocese of Salt Lake City. He graduated with an
      M.Div. from Wesley Theological Seminary, where he
      was adjunct faculty in pastoral liturgics last year.
      He is a candidate in the D.Min Program at Princeton
      Theological Seminary, working on his final project
      in Spiritual Theology.

      Rob was married on June 3rd, 2004 to Rob Apgar in
      Cambridge, Massachusetts and was recently installed
      as pastor of Open Door MCC in Boyds Maryland. Rob
      and Rob share custody of the children with Rob's
      ex-wife and live in Hagerstown, Maryland, with Joey
      and Wesley (their four legged sons) and Lestat
      (their ball-python).

      4. Do Your Holiday Shopping Now at ChiRhoPress.com

      What if we could point you to a store which is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping within the United States is free for orders
      over $100! Of course, we are talking about our own
      Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, Living as the Beloved,
      Christian with a Twist, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      two different Lenten studies, Come Home!, Called OUT!,
      Positively Gay, My Memory Book, the new 2005 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, The Road to Emmaus, and
      Together in Love are all available and ready to ship.
      Plus we Have an audio and video tape, five different
      stained glass designs, rainbow key chains and
      bracelets, and more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major
      book of reflections, "Christian with a Twist:
      Reflections on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive,
      a bit more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by
      William Gaston. This is especially poignant
      for us now, so soon after the death of author Bill Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection from the Ordinary Time section
      of "Christian with a Twist."

      Saved by Faith

      Please read Galatians 2:15-21

      Oftentimes it seems that our religious practices and
      beliefs are based more on the teachings of Paul than
      the teachings of Jesus. Maybe it is because Paul's
      ministry was longer and he talked a lot. I suppose
      I should relate to that. I talk a lot, too, and
      probably am as opinionated and as sanctimonious as
      Paul. Maybe that is why I have trouble with him.

      In today's passage my trouble with Paul is not so
      much what he says, but what I find myself reading
      between the lines. He is saying that we are
      justified by faith in Jesus, not by the law. Who
      can argue with that? It sounds as good as mother
      and apple pie.

      Somehow though, I get the feeling that Paul has
      created a new law. What if my faith in Jesus is
      not the same as his? Who determines what is faith?
      This may be a harder law to follow than the old law.
      I may not even know if I have complied or not.

      There is a harshness here that does not seem like
      Jesus: "Servant of sin," "transgressor," "no longer
      I who live," and "died for nothing." These all seem
      like warnings that I better be getting something right.
      Jesus said that sins are forgiven, that we should not
      judge, that God wants us to have life abundantly, and
      that life is eternal.

      With all respect to Paul and the church he established,
      I think it may be better to strive to have the faith
      OF Jesus rather than faith IN Jesus. That way I can
      look at how I am living and compare it to how Jesus
      lived to measure my success. Paul's way, it seems is
      that I have to rely on the judgment of others. I am
      not very comfortable with that. It is, after all,
      Jesus whom I am willing to call Lord, not the church
      that seems to have made laws about the faith that is
      supposed to have replaced the law.

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Tues. Nov. 16, St. Margaret (1046-1093). Queen and
      patron of Scotland. One of the last members of
      Anglo-Saxon royalty, she married King Malcolm of
      Scotland. There she devoted much of her life to
      reforming the church and clergy, as well as
      founding many schools, hospitals, and orphanages.
      She was famous for her love for the poor and for
      reducing warfare between the clans.

      Sat. Nov. 20, Revolution Anniversary (Mexico).

      Wed. Nov. 24, Diwali (Hindu). Festival of Lights
      recognizing the human urge to move toward the light.
      Features the exchange of gifts, fireworks and festive
      meals.

      Thu. Nov. 25, Thanksgiving Day (USA).

      Fri. Nov. 26, Sojourner Truth (1797-1883).
      Abolitionist preacher. Born a slave to a Dutch
      family in New York, Sojourner (a name she chose
      later in life) was freed when slavery there was
      abolished. She became noted as a passionate
      itinerant preacher and a legend even in her own
      life. She devoted her life to the antislavery
      cause, and later to women's suffrage and equal
      rights. While some thought it was best to set
      aside the rights of women for a later date, in
      her mind the two were inseparable. She was widely
      acknowledged as one of the most influential women
      of her day.

      Sat. Nov. 27, Harvey Milk (1931-1978). First
      openly gay elected official (U.S.A.). Although
      not a professional politician, Harvey Milk ran
      for a seat as a City Supervisor in San Francisco
      in order to stand for the rights of people without
      a voice: blue collar workers, the elderly, racial
      minorities, and especially gays and lesbians. He
      expected he would die violently, and was shot five
      times at close range by another politician angered
      at his stand for gays. That night 40,000 people
      took to the streets in a candle light vigil outside
      City Hall. Although not a religious person, he is
      remembered because, as Cardinal Juan Fresnos of
      Chile said, "Whosoever stands up for human rights
      stands up for the rights of God."

      *****

      Order the brand new 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary, complete with the entire year's
      Sanctoral Cycle, at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa04_05.html

      Here in the United States Thanksgiving is just a
      short time away and I hope we will all take time
      to truly reflect on that God has given us. Giving
      thanks is not just something to do, but rather it
      is an obligation. All that we are, all that we have
      comes from God. And all God expects in return is
      our thanks, our gratitude, and our striving to be
      as generous to others as God has been to us.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      *****

      A special reminder to those using the Shopping Cart
      on our Web site: Webminister Clay Witt has created
      a new shipping and handling schedule which gives
      you choices of shipping methods for your order.
      The default is to United Parcel Service ground
      rate, but there are other choices as well. Please
      look at the drop down and select the most appropriate
      shipping method, some of which will be less expensive
      for you. UPS themselves will tell you that United
      States Postal Service (USPS) parcel post will be more
      economical for orders weighing less than seven pounds.

      Please take the time to check all your options when
      ordering.

      *****

      It is not too early to think about your holiday
      shopping! Christmas is a little over a month away.
      Chi Rho Press never closes, at least our Web site
      never closes, and it is available for your shopping
      needs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (366 days
      this year!).

      We hope you will consider doing at least some of your
      holiday shopping at Chi Rho Press.

      *****

      Please join Chi Rho Press as a partner in ministry
      with Dr. Rembert Truluck. You may buy his wonderful
      and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html
      Or make a fully tax-deductible contribution by making
      your gift check out to Chi Rho Press, designate that
      it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo line, and send it
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898,
      USA. If you prefer, you may make your contribution on
      line at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Just note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      *****

      Please do not forget the new way for local churches to
      start their own church bookstores, our Church Bookstore
      Starter Kit. Chi Rho Press would certainly be only one
      of a number of publishing houses that a local church
      might want to purchase books from for resale. In order
      to make the process a little easier, we offer an easy
      to deal with starter kit of books on consignment for
      the first six months to serve as the nucleus for a new
      local church bookstore.

      See the September 30th edition of the Chi Rho Connection
      to review the terms for this opportunity, on the Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/newsletter_archive/2004_archieve_files/newsletter_V_No16.html

      *****

      On a budget? There are two books on our Remainder Table
      at reduced prices. You can find "Called OUT! The
      Voices and Gifts of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
      Transgendered Presbyterians" by the Rev. Jane Adams
      Spahr, et al, and "Come Home: Reclaiming Spirituality
      and Community as Gay Men and Lesbians," by Chris
      Glaser. Both books are at significantly reduced
      prices.

      Visit the Remainder Table at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/remainders.html

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com