Chi Rho Press' 24th eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2000
      Twenty-fourth eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail may be directed to Adam@.... See the end of
      thiseNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. New Staff Hired
      2. Books of the Month -- AIDS
      3. Christian Social Action Books
      4. Discrimination

      1. New Staff Hired

      The Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press voted Saturday to dramatically
      increase
      our paid staff. In a courageous move, the Board agreed with the
      recommendation
      of the Director, R. Adam DeBaugh, to add a part-time Editor/Office Manager to
      the paid staff.

      Mr. Kevin Stone Fries has been offered and has accepted the new position.
      Kevin begins work the week of October 16, 2000.

      For all of its 10-year existence, Chi Rho Press has had minimal paid staff.
      The Director, Adam DeBaugh, has not been salaried. When personal finances (or
      the lack thereof!) forced Adam to seek secular employment, we hired a
      part-time
      office worker to help fill orders, do data entry, and other office tasks.
      Since April, Jason Gergler has ably filled this position, working two evenings
      a week. Jason will continue in this position but was unable to increase his
      hours.

      The Director and Board came to the conclusion that with our current excellent
      growth, the Press would not be able to continue to grow unless we dramatically
      changed our staffing configuration. The new position will be daytime work,
      starting at three days a week.

      Kevin Stone Fries has worked as first Assistant Editor and as of August,
      Editor
      of the Press. He will add the duties of the newly created Office Manager
      position to his job description, working three days a week and for the first
      time he will be paid!

      Part of Kevin�s new duties will include staffing the office, customer service,
      and marketing. He will be expanding our Internet marketing outreach, seeking
      out new List-serves and Web pages to join and link to. He will also be
      working
      closely with LGBT and other bookstores. He will be working with welcoming
      and
      affirming congregations, MCC churches, independent LGBT congregations, and all
      other religious/spiritual organizations serving the LGBT community and our
      friends.

      Please join us in welcoming Kevin to our paid staff. Kevin may be reached at
      Kevin@....

      2. Books of the Month

      HIV/AIDS is still an important issue in our community and throughout
      September, we are featuring three important, small books on the HIV health
      crisis.

      FAMILIES RE-MEMBERED: Pastoral Support for Friends and Families Living with
      HIV/AIDS, by the Rev. Louis F. Kavar, Ph.D. HIV/AIDS causes families to be
      re-structured, enlarged and changed -- "re-membered." This book explores the
      dynamics of family systems and the realities of extended families of choice
      in the context of HIV/AIDS. $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.25 each,
      plus shipping and handling.

      TO CELEBRATE AND TO MOURN: Liturgical Resources for Worshiping Communities
      Living with AIDS, by the Rev. Louis F. Kavar, Ph.D. "As people who
      continue to live in the midst of AIDS, one of our greatest resources is
      that of
      the
      community of faith." Dr. Kavar discusses liturgical symbols that have
      special meaning in the AIDS crisis for churches, and provides parts of
      liturgies for various HIV/AIDS-related worship experiences. $3.95 each,
      six or
      more copies
      for $2.95 each, plus shipping and handling.

      I'M STILL DANCING! A Gay Man's Health Experience, by the Rev. A. Stephen
      Pieters. A powerful book by a long-term survivor of AIDS: articles, sermons
      and journal entries chronicle life with AIDS. Sick since 1982 and diagnosed
      with AIDS in 1984, Steve's cancers have gone into complete remission and he
      remains well to this day. He served for many years as Field Director of the
      UFMCC's AIDS Ministry. $8.95 each, six or more copies for $6.75 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      Order on line at www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your credit card!

      3 Christian Social Action Books

      We are featuring two Christian Social Action resources by Adam DeBaugh this
      month. They are small booklets, but have sold well over the years. As
      summer comes to a close and we enter into the busy autumn season, churches are
      restarting the education and small group programs.

      The first of these books is an excellent small group course that lays the
      foundations of a program of Christian Social Action in a local church or
      other organization:

      THE LEAST OF THESE: A Christian Social Action Bible Study on Matthew
      25:31-46,by R. Adam DeBaugh. This seven part Bible study is perfect for
      small groups, cell groups, discussion groups, and Christian education
      classes.
      The author
      was Director of UFMCC's Department of Christian Social Action for 11 years.
      It is a powerful study series on a vital Biblical mandate for all Christian
      social action ministries. $2.00 each, six or more copies for $1.50 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The second book is a basic primer used to equip people of faith to
      Communicate with their elected representatives in government.

      WRITING TO CONGRESS: "Prophesy Against the Shepherds of Israel," Ezekiel
      34:2,by R. Adam DeBaugh. A description of how best to write and visit your
      elected representatives in government, with ten tips for effective
      communications,
      and a fascinating Bible study about the responsibility of the person of faith
      to address his or her government. This is the third edition. Adam was
      director
      of the UFMCC Washington Field Office and (starting in 1975) was the first
      person ever hired to lobby the US Congress on LGBT civil rights. $1.00 each,
      six or more copies for $0.75 each, plus shipping and handling.

      Order on line at www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your credit card!

      4. Discrimination

      As we know, we see discrimination in some form or another almost everyday and
      often times it leaves a sour taste in our mouths. The following story
      shows us
      the side of diversity that we are all working for. You have have already
      seen
      it on the Web and it may be apocryphal, but we think it provides an important
      lesson for us all.

      On a flight from Johannesburg a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady
      found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew
      attendant
      over to complain about her seating.

      "What seems to be the problem Madam?" asked the attendant.

      "Can't you see?" she said "You've sat me next to a kaffir. I can't possibly
      sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!"

      "Please calm down Madam," the attendant replied. "The flight is very full
      today, but I'll tell you what I'll do -- I'll go and check to see if we have
      any seats available in club or first class."

      The woman cocked a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to
      mention many of the surrounding passengers). A few minutes later the flight
      attendant returned with the good news, which she delivered to the lady, who
      cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self-satisfied
      grin:

      "Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I've spoken to the
      cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat
      in first class." Before the lady had a chance to answer, the flight attendant
      continued ... "It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however,
      and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the
      circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced
      to sit next to such an obnoxious person."

      With that, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said:
      "So
      if you'd like to get your things, sir, I have your seat in first class ready
      for you..." At which point, apparently
      the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black
      man walked up to the front of the plane.

      people will forget what you said ....
      people will forget what you did ....
      but people will never forget how you made them feel

      5. Adam's Last Word.

      We are getting autumn off to a flying start! Saturday�s Board meeting was
      incredibly exciting, as the board shared a vision of growth and success,
      spurred by the employment of new office staff for three days a week. Over the
      next month, we will be preparing for Kevin to begin work the week of October
      16.

      We hope you will welcome him to our busy faith community. Even though Kevin
      has ably served Chi Rho Press as editor over the past almost three years,
      these
      new responsibilities will stretch and challenge him. We are confident he will
      do an excellent job!

      On a very personal note Chi Rho Press has been my baby for all these years.
      Bringing Kevin on as paid staff inevitably means more change and growth for
      the
      Press. I am very excited about the possibilities this means for the Press.
      My
      excitement is tinged a little bit with some fear, of course. We are taking a
      risk and there is some fear of failure for all of us. But I believe that we
      now need to have professional staff on hand, during the day, working with the
      Internet and with our customers in other ways. At the very least this will
      mean that there will be a live person to answer the phone when you call for
      three days a week.

      But I am sure we will be telling you about many exciting changes over the next
      few months as Kevin begins to settle in at his new work experience with the
      Press. My good friends can tell you that two of my primary spiritual gifts
      are
      paranoia and insecurity, so change does not always come easy for me. I am
      lucky in that Kevin Stone Fries is also my very close friend, and he knows how
      to allay my innate fears of change and to help me grow.

      One change, which we made at the end of July, was the addition of the Shopping
      Cart on our Web site and the ability to accept credit card payments there. We
      received our first check from Dottie Berry and the wonderful folks at D3
      Innovations and it was a very welcome check indeed! This is a change is am
      now
      very comfortable with!! Thanks to all of you who have trusted us with your
      credit card payments. We are making every effort to ensure that your credit
      information is totally confidential and not shared in any way with any other
      company or group.

      We always covet your prayers, but I think we need your prayers and support now
      more than ever as we embark on this incredibly exciting new venture. You may
      write Kevin directly at Kevin@... to pass on your greetings, your
      welcome, and your support.

      Within the next month we will be posting Kevin�s regular office hours in this
      eNewsletter, as well as other changes that are happening here at Chi Rho
      Press.

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions, please write to Question@.... For comments and
      suggestions about
      this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... You may pay by credit card on our web page or we
      will ship your order after receiving your check or money order. Include your
      e-mail address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We now accept credit
      cards on our web page!

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre St., Odessa, ONT., Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...;
      phone
      or fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Free Chi Rho Press eNewsletter