Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 17, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 17, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.
      We hope you will be blessed.

      Fear and faith

      "Now when the centurion and those with him, who were
      keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what
      took place, they were terrified and said, 'Truly this
      man was God's Son!'"
      Matthew 27:54

      This single verse offers us great insight for today's
      reflection on fear and faith. The military personnel
      responsible for carrying out the order to execute
      Jesus were absolutely terrified at all these
      earthshaking events. They had watched Jesus die.
      They had heard his gracious words of forgiveness as
      he prayed for those who nailed him to the cross.
      They had listened to Jesus struggle for breath as
      the public hurled verbal abuse and insults at him.

      As the earth shook and other strange, unexplainable,
      and miraculous events occurred, the soldiers
      unanimously exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"
      (NIV). Their statement of faith is timeless and can
      be ours. Their eyewitness account can be part of our
      spiritual journey and understanding of this remarkable
      Jesus Christ.

      Their fearful experience can actually encourage our
      faith today. We can affirm their statement of faith
      but without the fear. "Perfect love casts out fear"
      (1 John 4:18 NRSV). Our call is to love God with
      every fiber of our being, along with our neighbors
      and ourselves. We can pray fearlessly and with
      confidence as God's beloved people. Seekers of
      all sexual orientations are invited to approach
      God without fear.

      Years ago, a friend e-mailed me this saying from St.
      Augustine, which has offered me great spiritual insight
      and which I offer to you, "To fall in love with God is
      the greatest of all romances; to seek [God], the
      greatest adventure; to find [God], the greatest human
      achievement."

      Jesus Christ, you are God's Beloved! Help me experience
      the greatest of all romances. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.