Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 3, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2 10:24 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 3, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.
      We hope you will be blessed.

      Reach out to God

      When morning came, all the chief priests and the
      elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to
      put him to death; and they bound him and led him away
      and delivered him to Pilate the governor. When Judas,
      his betrayer, saw that he was condemned, he repented
      and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the
      chief priests and the elders, saying, "I have sinned
      in betraying innocent blood." They said, "What is
      that to us? See to it yourself." And throwing down
      the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed; and
      he went and hanged himself.
      Matthew 27:1-5

      Suicide is dangerous. Do not do it. We are most
      vulnerable when in despair. Judas Iscariot took
      his life during lonely moments of shame, self-hatred,
      grief, and profound emotional remorse. He died as a
      fallen disciple of Christ. We may never fully realize
      his true motives for betraying Jesus. We can never
      understand the agony of his final thoughts. Judas
      took those to his grave, but we can learn from his

      The day Judas died was a tragedy for everyone. He
      lost hope in God's mercy. After spending three
      amazing years with Jesus in intensive spiritual
      formation, within a few hours, he completely
      self-destructed. Jesus was to die because of Judas'
      words and actions. The victorious religious leaders
      did not care for Judas at all. To them, he was just
      a pawn in their plot. Judas was no longer useful to

      But Jesus, even while experiencing his profound
      moments of betrayal, had called Judas, "Friend."
      He will forgive with his final breaths his taunting
      tormentors as he dies on the cross. I believe Jesus
      forgave his friend Judas, even as he was being betrayed.
      If only Judas had waited a little longer. Perhaps he
      could have become a great example of divine forgiveness
      such as the great early Christian missionary Paul.
      Perhaps he too could have been used by God to write
      profound letters to the Christian churches.

      Many people struggle with suicide ideation. No matter
      what we have done, I believe God will forgive a truly
      repentant heart. If you are struggling with thoughts
      and feelings about suicide, reach out to a friend.
      Reach out to God. God is as close as your breathing,
      nearer than your hands and feet.

      Years ago a woman shared with me her remarkable story.
      One night in despair she took a loaded weapon, locked
      the door, and placed the gun in her mouth. She heard
      within her a still, small voice which said, "Don't do
      it." She removed the gun and called a friend. The
      next day, she contacted a therapist. She began living
      one day at a time. One day at a time with the power of
      God has helped her live a blessed life. You can too.

      The Founder of the Franciscan orders, St. Francis of
      Assisi (1181-1226) gives us this prayer, "Lord, make us
      instruments of thy peace; where there is hatred, let us
      sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is
      discord, vision. Where there is doubt, faith; where
      there is despair, hope. Where there is darkness, light.
      Where there is sadness, joy. O divine master, grant
      that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to
      love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in
      pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying
      that we are born to eternal life. Amen."

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at