Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 16

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 16

      1. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published!
      2. Church Bookstore Starter Kit
      3. "Christian with a Twist"
      4. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is
      the key to unlocking our potential."
      -- Sir Winston Churchill

      "There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes."
      -- William John Bennett

      1. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published

      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year A, November
      2004 through November 2005, compiled by Raye-Anne Dorn
      and the Rev. Clay Witt. $11.95 each, six or more
      copies, $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Calendar2005

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce a brand new
      Liturgical Calendar for the coming 2004-2005 church
      year. The Liturgical Calendar features readings from
      the Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle. Our Liturgical
      Calendar is packed with useful information for
      planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year.
      It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone
      using the Church Year as a basis for worship or
      education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½"
      x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent,
      or Proper 20) with alternative descriptions where
      appropriate. The Revised Common Lectionary readings,
      including a brief summary of each reading. (These
      are intended as only a very brief overview to identify
      general themes as an aid to worship planning. We do
      not represent them as anything approaching a thorough
      exegesis.) The First Reading is usually from the
      Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as
      the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.
      These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the
      Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read
      through key passages over a series of weeks. This is
      followed by a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle
      Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading
      typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the
      Christmas and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of
      Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience,
      and Special Events and secular and Jewish holidays
      for the week which the congregation may want to
      remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship
      Planning section which serve to explain in more
      detail information about the time of the church year,
      provide resources for further study and information,
      and develop liturgical themes to make your worship
      experience more rich and meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn. For every day of the year, Raye-Anne
      gives us a traditional saint, with a brief overview
      of an important theme for which the saint is
      remembered and what that particular saint can
      teach us. Some Diversity Dates are also included,
      special occasions for celebrations of diversity,
      such as special celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepard).

      The 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal.

      *****

      How to order: you may now order the 2004-2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary on the Chi Rho
      Press Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Calendar2005

      You may also order by sending your order, along with
      your name, address, telephone, and credit card name
      and expiration date by e-mail (to Orders@...),
      snail mail (to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898), or telephone or fax (at 301/926-1208). Or if
      you prefer you may send a check or money order to our
      post office box.

      The Liturgical Calendar is $11.95 each, six or more
      copies are $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.

      2. Church Bookstore Starter Kit

      The Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press announces a
      new way for local churches to start their own church
      bookstore, our Church Bookstore Starter Kit. Chi Rho
      Press would certainly be only one of a number of
      publishing houses that a local church might want
      to purchase books from for resale. In order to make
      the process a little easier, we offer an easy to deal
      with starter kit of books on consignment for the first
      six months to serve as the nucleus for a new local
      church bookstore.

      Here are the terms for this opportunity:

      You look through our on-line catalog at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com and select books or other
      items you think you would want in your new bookstore.

      Contact us at StoreStart@... with the
      titles you are interested in and the numbers of your
      initial order. We require a ten book minimum for this
      offer, but you may mix titles to make the ten book
      minimum (you can start as low as two copies of each
      of five titles, for instance). Send us the name,
      address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail
      address of your congregation; your pastor's name,
      and the name of your bookstore manager for
      verification purposes.

      Chi Rho Press offers a 30% discount off the list
      price on books purchased for this special program.
      (Commercial bookstores, with resale licenses,
      customarily receive a 40% discount with a minimum
      order of six books, and a 20% discount for an order
      of fewer than six books.)

      Unfortunately, because of the wear and tear common
      with church bookstores, we can not accept returns.
      All sales are final.

      You will be sent an invoice for the actual shipping
      costs of your initial bookstore order, which is due
      upon receipt.

      You will also receive a second invoice for the books
      you have ordered, which will include your new church
      bookstore's 30% discount. We leave the books with
      you on consignment for the first six months. During
      those first six months of your new bookstore, all we
      ask is that you send a written itemized accounting
      each month, enumerating the number of Chi Rho Press
      books you have sold and including a check for those
      sales only. Upon the receipt of each month report,
      we will send an amended invoice.

      After the initial six month consignment period, the
      full balance of the invoice is due to Chi Rho Press,
      payable within 30 days of the end of the initial six
      month period.

      Of course, if any of the titles you order for the
      initial six month consignment period sell out, we
      will be glad to fill and invoice you for new orders
      at any time. New orders will not be invoiced under
      these terms for the "Church Bookstore Starter Kit,"
      but under our regular discount and payment will be
      due within 30 days of the invoice.

      Please write StoreStart@... for more
      information or to place an order for your new church
      bookstore.

      3. "Christian with a Twist"

      Because we have published two books of reflections
      and meditations on Scripture this year, we want to
      be able to share samples of both with you. The weekly
      Chi Rho Reflection, e-mailed every Sunday, features
      the meditation of the day taken from our first major
      book this year, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a
      Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok. "Living as
      the Beloved"
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok)
      and is available for $20.95 each, six or more copies
      for $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.

      Not wanting to short change our readers, we have
      decided to include a selection from our second major
      book of reflections, "Christian with a Twist:
      Reflections on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive,
      a bit more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by
      William Gaston, in each of the Chi Rho Connections,
      published twice a month.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ChristianWithTwist.

      Bill Gaston wrote these reflections each Sunday over
      a three year period for publication in the church
      bulletin and newsletter of MCC of Washington DC.
      Bill's reflections are based on one or more of the
      Lectionary readings for the Sunday and his work pretty
      much covers the three year cycle of the Lectionary.
      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection from the Ordinary Time section
      of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Proverbs 8:1-4, 22-31

      I love today's passage. It gives me a chance to vent
      about one of my pet peeves. Oh no, not again, you may
      be thinking. But seriously, I think that wisdom and
      understanding are too much ignored and even sometimes
      discouraged in our religious lives. Many people seem
      to park their brains outside the church door, and I
      wonder sometimes if they remember to pick them up on
      their way out.

      That is harsh and negative, I know, but so much talk
      of religion these days is negative. Our religious
      institutions have to accept some of the responsibility
      for that. I do not understand the conflict between
      science and religion. What better way is there to
      honor God's Creation than to study the intricacies of
      it? And does not each new thing that we discover lead
      to even more awe and wonder about the complexity of
      what God has done?

      Today's passage says that God created wisdom at the
      very beginning of Creation, that wisdom was there when
      each and every thing came into being. Of course we can
      never understand it all, but it is all real and all of
      it is knowable, if only to God. There is a bit of God
      in each of us and we are each a part of all that is.

      We consist of body, mind, and spirit. We have hospitals
      and health clubs to maintain our bodies. We have schools
      and libraries to enrich our minds. We have churches and
      scripture to support our spirits. We would not think of
      accepting the level of health care or education of Jesus'
      time, but somehow we think that the level of spiritual
      development that was good enough then should be good
      enough now.

      Another of today's suggested readings is John 16:12-15
      in which Jesus promises to send to us the Spirit of
      Truth that will teach us what he could not in his time
      and place. I think that the Spirit of Truth that Jesus
      promised is not unrelated to the Wisdom spoken of in
      Proverbs. I think that God desires that all of Creation
      be alive and growing, certainly our part of it which God
      created in God's own image.

      4. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Thu. Sep. 30 (sunset) Tue. Oct. 5, Sukkot (Jewish).
      The Feast of Tabernacles (or Booths) is a harvest
      festival and a remembrance of the journey of Israel
      through the Sinai desert living in tents.

      Mon. Oct. 4, St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226). Friar
      and founder of the Franciscan order. Likely the most
      popular and admired of all the saints, and also the
      least imitated; Francis was completely devoted to the
      poor and the suffering of Christ. Born into a wealthy
      family, he sought glory as a young knight, but instead
      ended up seriously ill and in prison. Encounters with
      beggars and lepers touched him so deeply he embraced a
      life of poverty. Late in his life he became the first
      to receive the stigmata, or wounds of Christ in his
      hands, feet, and side. Because of his deep love for
      them, his feast day is often celebrated by blessing
      animals. He reminds us of the radical simplicity of
      the gospel and the sacramentality of creation.

      Wed. Oct. 6, Founding of the Universal Fellowship of
      Metropolitan Community Churches (1968). Anniversary
      of the first service held by Rev. Elder Troy Perry.
      A former Pentecostal minister from Florida who had
      been thrown out of his church for being gay, Troy
      Perry knew that his experience was not unusual.
      Called by God to start a church where GLBT people
      would be welcome, he held the first service in his
      living room near Los Angeles. Twelve men and women
      joined him for the first service of what became MCC
      LA, the Mother Church of UFMCC, now the largest
      religious organization in the world for GLBT people.

      Thu. Oct. 7, Sts. Sergius and Bacchus (d. 290).
      Martyrs in death and lovers in life. These two
      saints were tortured for refusing to compromise
      their faith by making a sacrifice to Jupiter.
      They were officers in the Roman army and lovers.
      After their arrest they were paraded through the
      streets in women's clothing, which was meant to
      humiliate them. Bacchus died first and came to
      Sergius in a vision, telling him not to lose heart,
      they would soon be together for eternity. They later
      became patron saints of the Byzantine army, and are
      still honored among certain Arab nomads. Early
      Christian writings show that the Church has not
      always had a negative view of homosexuality.

      Thu. Oct. 7 Fri. Oct. 8, Shemini Atzeret and
      Simchat Torah (Jewish). Celebrates reading of
      the Torah (Law). Features readings, processions,
      and blessing of children.

      Mon. Oct. 11, Columbus Day (U.S.A.). Federal
      holiday, can also be designated Peoples of the
      Americas Day.

      Mon. Oct. 11, National Coming Out Day. Anniversary
      of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and
      Gay Rights. This day has been marked yearly in the
      GLBT community since 1987. In this powerful personal
      act of liberation and rebirth we can experience the
      reality of Jesus' words, "the truth will set you free."
      Because equality cannot be achieved by staying in the
      closet, it is important for each of us to come out to
      our friends and family. When people know a gay or
      lesbian individual personally, they are far less likely
      to maintain negative stereotypes and prejudices. Coming
      out is not a one time event, but is rather a life long
      process. Whatever it may be, take the next step toward
      living your own life with integrity.

      Mon. Oct. 11, Thanksgiving Day (Canada).

      Tue. Oct. 12, Matthew Shepherd (1976-1998). Victim
      of hate crime. A 21 year old freshman at the
      University of Wyoming, Matthew was abducted, tied
      to a fence, and beaten into a coma by two young men.
      His murder gave a face to the tragedy of gay bashing.
      He is remembered not for any particular achievements
      in his brief life, but as a symbol of the violence
      that is bred by homophobia and the rhetoric of hate.

      Tue. Oct. 12, Day of the Race (Mexico). Traditional
      date for Columbus Day.

      Fri. Oct. 15 (approximately, it depends on the sighting
      of the moon), Ramadan (Islamic). Holy month of Islam
      that commemorates revelation of Qur'an to Mohammed.
      Begins when new moon of the ninth month is sighted in
      Saudi Arabia. Strict fasting is observed daily from
      sunrise to sunset. (All Islamic holidays begin at
      sunset the preceding evening. The actual dates
      sometimes may vary from this calendar, as the day
      is based on the actual sighting of the moon.)

      Fri. Oct. 15, St. Teresa of Avila (1515-1582). Mystic
      and Doctor of the church. Raised in a wealthy Spanish
      family, Teresa became a Carmelite nun. In an age in
      which women's voices went unheard, she became a
      towering figure, author of four books, religious
      reformer, founder of 17 convents. As a woman who
      based her authority on mystical visions, she fell
      under the suspicion of the Inquisition. Her best
      known work, "The Interior Castle," describes the
      soul as a castle, and the journey of prayer that
      leads from meditation to mystical union with Christ.

      Sat. Oct. 16, Thomas Cranmer (d. 1556). Creator of
      the Book of Common Prayer. During a time of political
      and religious turmoil, as Archbishop of Canterbury
      Cranmer was instrumental in the English Reformation
      and the institution of the Church of England. Under
      Queen Mary, a devout Catholic, he was declared a
      heretic and burned at the stake. His legacy is
      carried in the Book of Common Prayer, the beauty
      of its liturgical language and its influence on
      Christian prayer and worship even to our own time.

      Sat. Oct. 16, National Boss Day (U.S.A.).

      *****

      Order the brand new 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary, complete with the entire year's
      Sanctoral Cycle. See the end of article number
      one in this issue of the Chi Rho Connection for
      ordering information.

      Order your 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar now. I
      look forward to hearing your reaction to the new
      edition.

      *****

      We hope you will offer your assistance to the Spanish
      Translation Task Force. If you do not speak Spanish,
      perhaps you can help with your financial gifts. But
      certainly keep us in your prayers.

      We are also looking for grant writers to help us
      identify and apply for foundation grants. If this
      is a gift you have, please contact Director Adam
      DeBaugh at Adam@....

      If you are moved to help in any way, or if you have
      any questions or insights into this exciting project,
      please write Adam@....

      *****

      Please join Chi Rho Press as a partner in ministry
      with Dr. Rembert Truluck. You may buy his wonderful
      and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.
      Or make a fully tax-deductible contribution by making
      your gift check out to Chi Rho Press, designate that
      it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo line, and send it
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898,
      USA. If you prefer, you may make your contribution on
      line at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Just note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      *****

      Please keep the Chi Rho Press board of Directors in
      your prayers. We meet this Sunday afternoon (after
      church and brunch, of course!).

      *****

      Chi Rho Press has a new Treasurer! Mr. Steve Barchers,
      of Front Royal, Virginia, a long time member of the Chi
      Rho Press board of directors, has been unanimously
      elected Treasurer of the Press. Steve has already
      begun work and is moving ahead like gang busters! As
      the board tells me, I am a Word Guy, not a Numbers Guy.
      <sigh> I hope they mean that kindly! Steve's
      assistance is invaluable to me and to your Press.

      *****

      Another staff change to announce is the addition of the
      Rev. Clay Witt as Web minister for Chi Rho Press. Our
      long term Web minister (who prefers to remain anonymous)
      has performed amazing service to the Press for a number
      of years. She will continue doing some work, with Clay
      taking over primary responsibilities for design and
      implementation of the Web site. Watch the Web site for
      a new look, and some new features.
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      *****

      Speaking of the Web site, it is not too early to think
      about your holiday shopping! Christmas is less than
      three months away. Chi Rho Press never closes at
      least our Web site never closes and is available for
      your shopping needs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
      (366 days this year!). If you intend to order stained
      glass, it would be a good idea to place those orders as
      soon as possible, so our Stained Glass Elf has plenty
      of time to create your pieces in plenty of time for
      Christmas. We hope you will consider doing at least
      some of your holiday shopping at Chi Rho Press.

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com