Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 14

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 14

      1. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published!
      2. Church Bookstore Starter Kit
      3. "Christian with a Twist"
      4. Ways You Can Help
      5. Sanctoral Cycle
      6. Adam's Last Word

      This Issue's Quote:

      "We strongly support President Bush's call for a
      Constitutional amendment that fully protects marriage,
      and we believe that neither federal nor state judges
      nor bureaucrats should force states to recognize other
      living arrangements as equivalent to marriage. We
      believe, and the social science confirms, that the
      well-being of children is best accomplished in the
      environment of the home, nurtured by their mother
      and father anchored by the bonds of marriage. We
      further believe that legal recognition and the
      accompanying benefits afforded couples should be
      preserved for that unique and special union of one
      man and one woman which has historically been called
      The 2004 Republican Party Platform

      1. 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar Published

      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year A, November
      2004 through November 2005, compiled by Raye-Anne Dorn
      and the Rev. Clay Witt. $11.95 each, six or more
      copies, $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling. It
      is not up on our Web site yet, though we hope our Web
      minister will be able to finish removing this year's
      calendar and posting the 2005 Liturgical Calendar very
      soon. In the meantime, you may order by telephone, fax,
      e-mail, or snail mail. See instructions at the end of
      this article.

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce a brand new
      Liturgical Calendar for the coming 2004-2005 church
      year. The Liturgical Calendar features readings from
      the Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle. Our Liturgical
      Calendar is packed with useful information for
      planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year.
      It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone
      using the Church Year as a basis for worship or
      education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½"
      x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent,
      or Proper 20) with alternative descriptions where
      appropriate. The Revised Common Lectionary readings,
      including a brief summary of each reading. (These
      are intended as only a very brief overview to identify
      general themes as an aid to worship planning. We do
      not represent them as anything approaching a thorough
      exegesis.) The First Reading is usually from the
      Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as
      the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.
      These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the
      Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read
      through key passages over a series of weeks. This is
      followed by a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle
      Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading
      typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the
      Christmas and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of
      Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience,
      and Special Events and secular and Jewish holidays
      for the week which the congregation may want to
      remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship
      Planning section which serve to explain in more
      detail information about the time of the church year,
      provide resources for further study and information,
      and develop liturgical themes to make your worship
      experience more rich and meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn, a former Roman Catholic priest. For
      every day of the year, Raye-Anne gives us a traditional
      saint, with a brief overview of an important theme for
      which the saint is remembered and what that particular
      saint can teach us. Some Diversity Dates are also
      included, special occasions for celebrations of
      diversity, such as special celebration days for
      specific cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special
      days for the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance
      for Matthew Shepard).

      The 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal. We think you will like this
      new Liturgical Calendar.

      About the Authors:

      Raye-Anne Dorn is a former Roman Catholic clergy who
      describes herself as being "stuck in pre-Vatican II
      times." She is a full-time wife, mother, professional
      student, and federal government employee in Washington
      DC. She presently seeks, and finds, God at Holy Redeemer
      MCC in College Park, Maryland as well as at the local
      Catholic Churches, United Methodist Churches, Churches
      of the Nazarene, and AME Churches of the metropolitan
      Washington DC area. She is a member of the Board of
      Directors of Chi Rho Press.

      The Rev. Clay H. Witt received his theological education
      at Wesley Seminary in Washington, D.C., where he was
      granted an M.Div. in 1996. He also holds a J.D. from
      the University of Tennessee and a B.S. in accounting
      from Steed College in Johnson City, Tennessee. He is
      currently serving as a Pastoral Assistant at MCC
      Washington, with a focus on Internet ministry. Among
      other things, he is the author of the weekly reflections
      called "Soul Food for the Week's Journey" at
      <www.soulfoodministry.org>. He served as the founding
      pastor of MCC Washington's parish extension, Holy
      Redeemer MCC in College Park, Maryland, from 1998
      through April 2003. He is a member of the Board of
      Directors of Chi Rho Press. He also has a full-time
      position as an attorney with the Federal government.

      Clay grew up in Eastern Tennessee as a member of the
      United Methodist Church. He was active as a layman
      in the Protestant chapel program while serving in the
      military. He attended worship with Roman Catholic
      congregations from time to time in the 1970s and
      early 1980s. He had his first experience as a member
      of an MCC in San Diego in the mid-1970s. He has been
      a member of MCC Washington since the mid-1980s.

      How to order: until our over-worked Web minister is
      able to get the new 2005 Liturgical Calendar and
      Lectionary posted on the Web site, you may order by
      sending your order, along with your name, address,
      telephone, and credit card name and expiration date
      by e-mail (to Orders@...), snail mail (to
      Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898),
      or telephone or fax (at 301/926-1208). Or if you
      prefer you may send a check or money order to our
      post office box.

      A single copy is $11.95 plus $3.50 shipping and
      handling (S&H), totaling $15.45.
      Two copies are $23.90 plus $4.50 S&H, totaling $28.40.
      Three copies are $35.85 plus $4.50 S&H, totaling $40.35.
      Four copies are $47.80 plus $5.50 S&H, totaling $53.30.
      Five copies are $59.75 plus $5.50 S&H, totaling $65.25.

      At six or more copies, the bulk discount kicks in (it
      is less expensive to buy six than five under our weird
      percentage discount system), so six copies are $59.70
      plus $5.50 S&H, totaling $65.20.
      Seven copies are $66.50 plus $6.50 S&H, totaling $$73.00.
      Eight copies are $76.00 plus $6.50 S&H, totaling $82.50.
      Nine copies are $85.50 plus $7.50 S&H, totaling $93.00.
      Ten copies are $95.00 plus $7.50 S&H, totaling $102.50.
      At eleven copies, we pay shipping and handling, so eleven
      copies or more are simply $9.50 each.

      If this is all too complicated for you, we will send out
      a special Chi Rho Connection to announce when the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is up on the Web site.
      Thanks for your patience!

      2. Church Bookstore Starter Kit

      The Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press announces a
      new way for local churches to start their own church
      bookstore, our Church Bookstore Starter Kit. Chi Rho
      Press would certainly be only one of a number of
      publishing houses that a local church might want
      to purchase books from for resale. In order to make
      the process a little easier, we offer an easy to deal
      with starter kit of books on consignment for the first
      six months to serve as the nucleus for a new local
      church bookstore.

      Here are the terms for this opportunity:

      You look through our on-line catalog at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com and select books or other
      items you think you would want in your new bookstore.

      Contact us at StoreStart@... with the
      titles you are interested in and the numbers of your
      initial order. We require a ten book minimum for this
      offer, but you may mix titles to make the ten book
      minimum (you can start as low as two copies of each
      of five titles, for instance). Send us the name,
      address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail
      address of your congregation; your pastor's name,
      and the name of your bookstore manager for verification

      Chi Rho Press offers a 30% discount off the list price
      on books purchased for this special program. (Commercial
      bookstores, with resale licenses, customarily receive a
      40% discount with a minimum order of six books, and a
      20% discount for an order of fewer than six books.)

      Unfortunately, because of the wear and tear common with
      church bookstores, we can not accept returns. All sales
      are final.

      You will be sent an invoice for the actual shipping
      costs of your initial bookstore order, which is due
      upon receipt.

      You will also receive a second invoice for the books
      you have ordered, which will include your new church
      bookstore's 30% discount. We leave the books with
      you on consignment for the first six months. During
      those first six months of your new bookstore, all we
      ask is that you send a written itemized accounting
      each month, enumerating the number of Chi Rho Press
      books you have sold and including a check for those
      sales only. Upon the receipt of each month report,
      we will send an amended invoice.

      After the initial six month consignment period, the
      full balance of the invoice is due to Chi Rho Press,
      payable within 30 days of the end of the initial six
      month period.

      Of course, if any of the titles you order for the
      initial six month consignment period sell out, we
      will be glad to fill and invoice you for new orders
      at any time. New orders will not be invoiced under
      these terms for the ?Church Bookstore Starter Kit,?
      but under our regular discount and payment will be
      due within 30 days of the invoice.

      Please write StoreStart@... for more
      information or to place an order for your new church

      3. "Christian with a Twist"

      Because we have published two books of reflections
      and meditations on Scripture this year, we want to
      be able to share samples of both with you. The weekly
      Chi Rho Reflection, e-mailed every Sunday, features
      the meditation of the day taken from our first major
      book this year, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a
      Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok. "Living as
      the Beloved"
      and is available for $20.95 each, six or more copies
      for $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.

      Not wanting to short change our readers, we have
      decided to include a selection from our second major
      book of reflections, "Christian with a Twist:
      Reflections on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive,
      a bit more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by
      William Gaston, in each of the Chi Rho Connections,
      published twice a month.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at

      Bill Gaston wrote these reflections each Sunday over
      a three year period for publication in the church
      bulletin and newsletter of MCC of Washington DC.
      Bill's reflections are based on one or more of the
      Lectionary readings for the Sunday and his work pretty
      much covers the three year cycle of the Lectionary.
      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection from the Ordinary Time section
      of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Isaiah 6:1-8.

      If I had turned to this passage six months or a year
      ago I would have probably passed it by more quickly
      than you could say, "cherubim and seraphim." I mean,
      what the heck is a seraph anyway? I like my God to be
      natural. Six winged creatures and purification by fire
      seem like the stuff of pagan religions, not mine.

      But then what is natural? I have learned a bit about
      pagan beliefs of late, and while they are way too
      complicated for me, Jesus told me not to judge.
      Christianity can be made very complicated, too.
      To some it is unbelievable. Jesus did not say
      anything about seraphs, but he did know the book
      of Isaiah and I am sure his reflections were a lot
      better than mine. Maybe I should be looking for the
      truth rather than a way to justify my unbelief.

      Whether they came from the mind of Isaiah or holy
      intervention, the seraphs said something that is
      very real to me. Before the communion table we

      "Holy, holy, holy Lord God of power and might!
      Heaven and earth are full of your glory!"

      I feel the presence of Jesus as we come forward to
      the table. For me the bread and the cup are symbols
      of that reality. For others perhaps they are
      physically transformed. God meets us where we
      are; physically, mentally, and spiritually. I
      guess we could also add; imaginatively.

      The image of a six-winged creature purifying the
      mouth of Isaiah with a live coal is not one I want
      engraved on my mind. But then, I have cheerfully
      ridden a gurney on the way to surgery several times.
      Some would rather face a seraph with a hot coal. The
      lessons of Jesus we can take anywhere. Jesus taught
      that God can provide whatever is needed for us to
      measure up to the tasks God lays before us.

      I affirm that when I serve communion. If somebody
      needs a mystical creature to convince them that
      their voice can be used by God, then I am sure God
      can come up with such a creature. After all, God
      came up with me.

      4. Ways You Can Help

      There are three ways you can share your financial
      resources and the bounty God has given you.

      First, purchase a Promissory Note to invest in the
      ministry of Chi Rho Press. The Board of Directors
      has authorized the sale of additional Promissory
      Notes at 6% simple interest. The Promissory Notes
      are a way for Chi Rho Press to seek capitalization
      for our ministry. The investments will be used to
      pay down existing, more expensive debt, increase
      staff effectiveness, and fund the printing of new
      publications. We urge you to invest in this ministry
      with $1,000 or more in Promissory Notes.

      Promissory Notes in $1,000 increments are available
      from Chi Rho Press, at 6% simple interest, repaid
      in eight quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, and send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note upon the
      receipt of your check.

      Second, join Chi Rho Press as a partner in ministry
      with Dr. Rembert Truluck. You may buy his wonderful
      and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on line at
      Or make a fully tax-deductible contribution by making
      your gift check out to Chi Rho Press, designate that
      it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo line, and send it
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898,
      USA. If you prefer, you may make your contribution on
      line at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Just note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      Third, all contributions to Chi Rho Press are fully tax
      deductible. If you are able to make a financial gift to
      this ministry, we would welcome your support. Gifts and
      contributions of any size are welcome and appreciated!
      While we encourage your generosity to our partners in
      ministry, like Rembert Truluck, we could sure use your
      help as well!

      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit
      card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send
      your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      If you want to designate your gift to the work of the
      Spanish Translation Task Force, just let us know!
      Thanks for your support!

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      Wed. Sep. 15, Martyrs of Birmingham (d. 1963). Four
      young girls. A few weeks after Martin Luther King had
      given his famous speech, "I Have a Dream," and in the
      midst of an intense summer of civil disobedience and
      demonstrations, the situation in Birmingham, Alabama
      had come to a head. The nation watched as fire hoses
      and attack dogs had dramatized the evil of racism.
      Much of the civil rights movement was based in black
      churches. On a peaceful Sunday morning someone threw
      dynamite through the basement window of the 16th Street
      Baptist Church, where four young girls, who had just
      finished their Sunday School class, were changing into
      choir robes. In their eulogy Dr. King called them
      "martyred heroines of a holy crusade for freedom and
      human dignity."

      Wed. Sep. 15 (sunset) - Thu. Sep. 16, Rosh Hashanah
      (Jewish). The Jewish New Year is a time of
      introspection, abstinence, and prayer. Features
      include sounding of the ram's horn and sharing
      special foods.

      Wed. Sep. 15, Respect for the Aged Day (Japan).

      Thu. Sep. 16, Independence Day (Mexico).

      Fri. Sep. 17, St. Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179).
      Abbess and visionary. Hildegard is one of the most
      amazing women in church history. She started as a
      simple Benedictine nun, but excelled as an author,
      prophet, preacher, theologian, musician, composer,
      poet, doctor, and pharmacist. Her intense visions
      and ecological and holistic spirituality speak
      strongly to our own time.

      Sat. Sep. 18, Dag Hammarskjöld (1905-1961). Secretary
      General of the United Nations. A skilled Swedish
      diplomat, Hammarskjöld served for eight years as the
      head of the United Nations. He was a rare person in
      that public service was not a means to gain power, but
      a religious vocation, a way of living out his faith.
      He was deeply committed to the cause of world peace.
      His personal journal, "Markings," published after his
      death, revealed his own inner struggles with finding
      meaning in life. What is still unknown to most people
      is that he was also a gay man.

      Mon. Sep. 20, Henri Nouwen (1932-1996). Priest and
      spiritual guide. After ordination in his native Holland,
      Nouwen taught in the U.S. at Notre Dame, Yale, and
      Harvard. He was drawn toward monastic life, and became
      one of the most popular and influential spiritual writers
      of our time. The spiritual life, he said, was not
      something just for saints or "perfect people," but the
      call of Jesus was for all of us, even in our brokenness.

      Tue. Sep. 21, St. Matthew. Apostle and Evangelist. The
      author of the first book in the Christian Scriptures is
      traditionally associated with Matthew, also known as Levi
      the tax collector. These were hated as traitors who
      collaborated with Rome. Jesus was severely criticized
      for eating at the same table with them. Tradition says
      Matthew traveled to the East, but we really know nothing
      of his life and death. Most likely the Gospel was
      written by an anonymous second generation Jewish
      Christian in a Greek community. "Matthew" wrote the
      story of Jesus in a way that addressed the needs of
      the early church, a central concern to his gospel.

      Tue. Sep. 21, First Day of Autumn (Northern Hemisphere).
      The autumnal equinox marks when the day and night are of
      equal length, celebrated as the harvest festival Mabon
      in Wiccan communities.

      Tue. Sep. 21, International Day of Peace. International
      day established by the United Nations.

      Fri. Sep. 24 (sunset) - Sat. Sep. 25, Yom Kippur (Jewish).
      The Day of Atonement, the holiest day of the Jewish year,
      is observed with strict fasting and ceremonies of

      Mon. Sep. 27, St. Vincent de Paul (1580-1660). Apostle
      to the poor. Vincent began his life as a priest simply
      as a means of escaping his family's grinding poverty.
      Anything was better than living on the farm. He managed
      to obtain service among the wealthy and powerful of
      Paris. At mid-life he experienced a great transformation
      as he understood the seriousness of his vocation and
      dedicated his life to serving the poor. He founded
      hospitals, orphanages, and homes for the mentally ill.

      Wed. Sep. 29, St. Michael and All Angels. While angels
      (from the Greek word angelos, or messengers) are
      mentioned often in the Bible, only a few are named.
      The Archangel Michael is described as the captain of
      the heavenly host who helps humanity in fighting the
      enemies of God. Michael has been recognized as a
      protector, intercessor, healer, and guardian.

      Thu. Sep. 30 (sunset) Tue. Oct. 5, Sukkot (Jewish).
      The Feast of Tabernacles (or Booths) is a harvest
      festival and a remembrance of the journey of Israel
      through the Sinai desert living in tents.

      Order the brand new 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary, complete with the entire year's
      Sanctoral Cycle. See the end of article number
      one in this issue of the Chi Rho Connection for
      ordering information.

      6. Adam's Last Word

      We are very pleased that thanks to the faithfulness
      of new authors Clay Witt and Raye-Anne Dorn, we have
      been able to publish our annual "Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary" a bit earlier this year. They opted
      to use the same basic format we have used in the past
      two years. There are some changes in content and the
      way the liturgical material is presented. The Rev.
      Witt has a wonderful liturgical take on the worship
      experience and I am sure you will appreciate his
      notes and explanations of various elements of
      Christian worship.

      Raye-Anne Dorn has taken us in a rather different
      direction with the Sanctoral Cycle, not focusing on
      modern "saints," but instead highlighting the lives
      of traditional saints from the historic church
      hagiography. Her brief digests of important themes
      in the lives, ministries, and witness of the saints
      provide amazing mini-sermons on various aspects of
      faith and practice. She has given us a saint for
      every day of the year except for high holy days, on
      which Raye-Anne believes the focus should be on the
      special Christian event rather than on a particular

      Order your 2004-2005 Liturgical Calendar now. I
      look forward to hearing your reaction to the new

      We hope you will offer your assistance to the Spanish
      Translation Task Force. If you do not speak Spanish,
      perhaps you can help with your financial gifts. But
      certainly keep us in your prayers.

      We are also looking for grant writers to help us
      identify and apply for foundation grants. If this
      is a gift you have, please contact Director Adam
      DeBaugh at Adam@....

      If you are moved to help in any way, or if you have
      any questions or insights into this exciting project,
      please write Adam@....

      Autumn is almost upon us here in the Northern
      Hemisphere and we are gearing up for all kinds
      of change, the weather is changing, traffic has
      increased noticeably as schools have reopened and
      people have returned from their summer vacations,
      and the holidays are looming ahead of us.
      Christmas is just a bit over three months away!

      Of course, that impels me to remind you that it
      is not too early to begin your Christmas shopping
      and to suggest that a great place to do your
      holiday shopping is at the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We never close
      for your shopping convenience!

      If you are going to order stained glass, the earlier
      you do that, the better, to give us some time to
      fabricate the glass pieces you order and get them
      to you well in time for the holidays. View our
      stained glass gift selections and place your orders at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Let's keep the people of the Caribbean islands, and
      Florida and the U.S. Gulf Coast in prayer as they
      face yet more hurricanes in what is shaping up to
      be an amazing hurricane season this year. Charley,
      Frances, Ivan, and now Jeanne, it sounds like a
      parade of nice people, but the reality is that these
      names, when associated with hurricanes, represent
      something fierce and dangerous. Pray for all those
      affected by the storms this season.

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com