Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 12, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11 7:47 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 12, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.
      We hope you will be blessed.

      Take off the mask

      "'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees , hypocrites!
      For you are like whitewashed tombs, which on the
      outside look beautiful, but inside they are full
      of the bones of the dead and of all kinds of filth.
      So you also on the outside look righteous to others,
      but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.'"
      Matthew 23:27-28

      Our morality needs to be more than skin deep. Jesus
      knows our inner make-up. We can try to pass ourselves
      off as someone we are not, but God is not fooled.
      God knows our hearts (Luke 16:15).

      John A. Sanford reminds us that the Pharisees were
      perceived as the perfect examples of what God wanted
      people to be like (Sanford, John A. "The Kingdom
      Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings," p. 73.)
      They were the respectable, virtuous people in society.
      Now Jesus compares them to tombs of corruption and
      cups of filth. They hated him for stripping away
      their fa├žade. Jesus had preached this earlier in
      his Sermon on the Mount, "If your virtue goes no
      deeper than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you
      will never get into the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew
      5:20).

      How are our hearts before God today? Do we need
      some serious spiritual heart surgery? Our greatest
      delusion, Sanford tells us, "is thinking that we can
      avoid the unconscious and solve the moral problems
      of life by creating a righteous exterior, or by an
      ethic of outer obedience to laws. But this is of no
      avail, for God sees into the human heart; ruthlessly
      his eye penetrates into the deepest recess of the
      soul" (ibid).

      With God, nothing can be kept in darkness. God sees
      all that is done in secret and understands our motives
      better than we understand ourselves.

      God, examine and know us. Read our thoughts. Change
      our hearts. May our virtue be deeper than that of the
      scribes and Pharisees. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.