Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 13

      1. Our Newest Books
      2. Spanish Translation Task Force
      3. Five Finger Prayer
      4. How You Can Help
      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      "Self-pity is our worst enemy, and if we yield to it,
      we can never do anything wise in the world."
      -- Helen Keller

      "When you are younger, you worry about what people
      think about you. When you are older, you realize that
      no one was ever thinking about you at all."
      -- Brian Tracy

      "Do not give any time to your past, you can't change
      what happened 5 minutes ago."
      -- Jan Ruhe

      1. Our Newest Books

      We have published three excellent books this year,
      which are similar yet very different. All three are
      reflections or meditations based on Scripture, yet
      the three authors approach their ministries in very
      different ways.

      "Living as the Beloved" by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok)
      was the first large book we published this year. Sandy
      has written a book of daily devotions, one for every day
      of the year. She takes her inspiration from her beloved
      grandmother, who liked to sing "one day at a time, Lord,
      one day at a time." This simple immigrant woman's great
      faith inspired Sandy Bochonok as a child and as an adult,
      as a military chaplain and as an Internet minister
      ordained in the Metropolitan Community Churches, as
      a woman of faith and as a wonderful writer. And what
      Sandy learned in her faith journey will inspire you as
      well.

      six or more copies for $15.75 each, plus shipping and
      handling.

      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by William Gaston.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ChristianWithTwist.
      Bill Gaston wrote these reflections each Sunday over
      a three year period for publication in the church
      bulletin and newsletter of MCC of Washington DC.
      Bill's reflections are based on one or more of the
      Lectionary readings for the Sunday and his work pretty
      much covers the three year cycle of the Lectionary.
      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling.

      The very first book we published this year was a book
      of Lenten devotions. "'You Need Only to be Still:'
      Using the Hebrew Scriptures to Journey Through Lent,"
      by Randy Jedele.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Jedele.
      This is a book of daily devotions for Lent, in which
      author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through the
      Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has
      drawn on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist
      background to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in
      new ways.

      But "You Need Only to be Still" is also a very
      interactive book: each of the 40 days of Lent features
      a Hebrew Testament passage, followed by two questions
      for your consideration to bring the passage into our
      own lives. For each Friday, Randy has chosen a
      passage from the Psalms. Then Randy provides his
      own "Thoughts for Meditating," a few paragraphs
      reflecting on the ancient Bible story in which he
      offers some background information where it is needed
      and his own thoughts on the two questions.

      Then on the right hand page for each day in Lent there is
      space for the reader to write his or her own "Personal
      Reflections," an opportunity for the reader to respond
      and record thoughts and feelings. Each day concludes
      with a prayer, a personal moment between the reader
      and God.

      It is not too soon to start thinking about your own
      personal Lenten devotions for next Lent (Ash Wednesday,
      the beginning of Lent, is Feb. 9, 2005!). And this
      little book will be an excellent resource for a small
      Lenten study group in your church.

      "'You Need Only to be Still," is available for $10.95
      each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus shipping
      and handling.

      We encourage you to order one or two or all of these
      three books, so alike, yet so different! We know you
      will be blessed.

      2. Spanish Translation Task Force

      Our Spanish Translation Task Force met last Sunday,
      August 29, and is working with the board of directors
      on a plan for both translating some books and
      publishing new books, written in Spanish and marketed
      in the Spanish-speaking community.

      There are two ways you can be part of this exciting
      new effort, the first is assisting with the actual
      translation, typing, and proofreading process; the
      second is financial:

      Chi Rho Press continues to look for volunteers who can
      translate English documents into "Modern Spanish,"
      that is Spanish that is not colloquial, not
      "Spanglish," but easily understood by people from
      many different Spanish-speaking cultures and
      countries, and in which regionalisms are minimized.

      If it is your special gift to be able to translate
      English text into Spanish that is free of regional
      colloquialisms, slang, and specialized words or
      phrases, we would like to hear from you.

      Right now, we need translators, proofreaders, and
      people to type Word documents in Spanish.

      Second, we need financial assistance! Publishing
      books is expensive! If you are moved to assist your
      LGBT Christian publishing house, you may make your
      contributions on line using your credit card at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Or send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press at
      P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. For US citizens,
      your contributions are fully tax deductible.

      We are also looking for grant writers to help us
      identify and apply for foundation grants. If this
      is a gift you have, please contact Director Adam
      DeBaugh at Adam@....

      And of course we need your prayers for this venture
      as well.

      If you are moved to help in any way, or if you have
      any questions or insights into this exciting project,
      please write Adam@....

      3. Five Finger Prayer

      1. Your thumb is nearest to you. So begin your
      prayers by praying for those closest to you. They
      are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved
      ones is, as C. S Lewis once said, a "sweet duty."

      2. The next finger is the pointing finger Pray for
      those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes
      teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support
      and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction.
      Keep them in your prayers.

      3. The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds
      us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in
      business and industry, and administrators. These
      people shape our nation and guide public opinion.
      They need God's guidance. Also include our servicemen
      and women here and abroad who always stand tall in
      the duty of defending and protecting our nation. They
      need God's strength and comfort.

      4. The fourth finger is our ring finger. Surprising
      to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger; as
      any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to
      pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain.
      They need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray
      too much for them.

      5. And lastly comes our little finger; the smallest
      finger of all. Which is where we should place ourselves
      in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, "The
      least shall be the greatest among you." Your pinkie
      should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time
      you have prayed for the other four groups, your own
      needs will be put into proper perspective and you will
      be able to pray for yourself more effectively.

      4. How You Can Help

      There are three ways you can share your financial
      resources and the bounty God has given you.

      First, help the evangelistic ministry of the Rev.
      Delores Berry. You may write Delores directly at
      Delores Berry, 314 Bentley Ridge Blvd., Lancaster,
      PA 17602. Or by e-mail at RevDBerry@.... You
      may visit Delores' Web site at:
      http://www.revdeloresberry.com/. And you can make
      tax-deductible (for US citizens) contributions using
      your credit card on the Chi Rho Press Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html, or by phone
      using your credit card to 301/926-1208, or by mail
      paying by check to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Just specify in the note
      line on your check or in the 'Special Instructions
      and Comments' section of our shopping cart that your
      gift is for Delores Berry. We will forward all
      contributions on to Delores and Judy.

      *****

      Second, join Chi Rho Press as a partner in ministry
      with Dr. Rembert Truluck. You may buy his wonderful
      and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.
      Or make a fully tax-deductible contribution by making
      your gift check out to Chi Rho Press, designate that
      it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo line, and send it
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898,
      USA. If you prefer, you may make your contribution on
      line at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Just note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      *****

      Third, Chi Rho Press itself needs your assistance! All
      contributions to Chi Rho Press are fully tax deductible.
      If you are able to make a financial gift to this ministry,
      we would welcome your support. Gifts and contributions
      of any size are welcome and appreciated! While we
      encourage your generosity to our partners in ministry,
      Delores Berry and Rembert Truluck, we could sure use
      your help as well!

      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit
      card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send
      your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      If you want to designate your gift to the work of the
      Spanish Translation Task Force, just let us know!
      Thanks for your support!

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Tue. Aug. 31, John Bunyan (1628-1688). Puritan
      preacher and writer. Born to an Anglican family,
      Bunyan experienced a powerful conversion as a Puritan
      when he married. His work as a lay preacher after the
      English Civil War led to his imprisonment, where he did
      most of his writing. As a Calvinist he saw the world
      as a grand conflict between good and evil. He is best
      known for "The Pilgrim's Progress," an allegory about
      the Christian life as a journey and adventure of faith.

      Wed. Sep. 1, Beginning of the Ecclesiastical Year
      (Eastern Orthodox).

      Fri. Sep. 3, Samuel Checote (d. 1884). Creek Chief and
      preacher. Checote was born in present-day Alabama and
      attended mission schools as a child. After the Creek
      nation was forced to move west of the Mississippi
      tensions led to the banning of Christian preaching.
      Checote refused to abandon his faith in Christ, and
      interceded with the chief to lift the ban. A Creek
      Methodist district was established. Checote became
      a lay preacher, and worked to have the Bible and many
      hymns translated into Creek. He was elected chief
      three times, and worked tirelessly to overcome racial
      and cultural differences.

      Sat. Sep. 4, Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965). Missionary
      doctor and Nobel laureate A person of many talents and
      interests, Schweitzer earned doctorates in theology,
      philosophy, and medicine. He was a noted organist and
      interpreter of the music of J. S. Bach. His "Quest for
      the Historical Jesus" had a radical effect on how scholars
      approached the life of Christ. His work as a medical
      missionary founding his own hospital in Africa led to
      receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952.

      Mon. Sep. 6, Labour Day (U.S.A., Canada). Federal
      holiday.

      Fri. Sep. 10, Mother Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997).
      Founder of the Missionaries of Charity. As a simple
      nun from Albania, Teresa felt a special calling to care
      for the poorest of the poor. She left her convent and
      took on a simple white sari with blue borders and went
      to Calcutta, looking for Jesus among the sick and
      homeless. She founded the Missionaries of Charity,
      who care especially for the destitute and dying. Widely
      admired and loved as a living saint, she became the
      subject of many films, and received the Nobel Peace
      Prize in 1979. She did not merely practice charity,
      she embodied it.

      Sat. Sep. 11, 9-11 Anniversary (U.S.A.). Second
      anniversary of the terrorist attacks flying commercial
      planes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and
      a field in Pennsylvania.

      Sun. Sep. 12, Grandparent's Day (U.S.A.).

      Sun. Sep. 12, Lailat al-Miraj (Islamic). Observance
      of Mohammed's night journey from Mecca to Jerusalem
      and his ascension to heaven. (All Islamic holidays
      begin at sunset the preceding evening. The actual
      dates sometimes may vary from this calendar, as the
      day is based on the actual sighting of the moon.)

      Wed. Sep. 15, Martyrs of Birmingham (d. 1963). Four
      young girls. A few weeks after Martin Luther King had
      given his famous speech, "I Have a Dream," and in the
      midst of an intense summer of civil disobedience and
      demonstrations, the situation in Birmingham, Alabama
      had come to a head. The nation watched as fire hoses
      and attack dogs had dramatized the evil of racism.
      Much of the civil rights movement was based in black
      churches. On a peaceful Sunday morning someone threw
      dynamite through the basement window of the 16th Street
      Baptist Church, where four young girls, who had just
      finished their Sunday School class, were changing into
      choir robes. In their eulogy Dr. King called them
      "martyred heroines of a holy crusade for freedom and
      human dignity."

      Wed. Sep. 15 (sunset) - Thu. Sep. 16, Rosh Hashanah
      (Jewish). The Jewish New Year is a time of
      introspection, abstinence, and prayer. Features
      include sounding of the ram's horn and sharing
      special foods.

      Wed. Sep. 15, Respect for the Aged Day (Japan).

      Thu. Sep. 16, Independence Day (Mexico).

      Fri. Sep. 17, St. Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179).
      Abbess and visionary. Hildegard is one of the most
      amazing women in church history. She started as a
      simple Benedictine nun, but excelled as an author,
      prophet, preacher, theologian, musician, composer,
      poet, doctor, and pharmacist. Her intense visions
      and ecological and holistic spirituality speak
      strongly to our own time.

      *****

      Order the 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      It is hard to believe that summer is approaching it's
      end and that next weekend is the three day weekend of
      Labor Day. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, Autumn
      is lurking in the wings, ready to make it's appearance
      with the beautifully changing leaves and the attendant
      weather changes. I guess I am ready. Autumn and the
      holiday season that accompanies it can be a very pleasant
      time of year and it certainly can't be much wetter than
      the summer has been here in Maryland.

      My dear friend Barbara, who teaches Fourth Grade, and
      a new friend, Tasha, a lovely young woman of Russian
      ancestry, who has recently moved here from Massachusetts
      and has gotten a job teaching Seventh Grade nearby.
      They have start the beginning of the school year. Tasha
      and Barbara and all teachers deserve our respect, support
      and prayers!

      I hope this time of year finds all of our readers and
      supporters in good health, ready for the changes that
      lie before us, and eager for whatever lies in store
      for you, with God's help and grace.

      *****

      We hope you will offer your assistance to the Spanish
      Translation Task Force. If you do not speak Spanish,
      perhaps you can help with your financial gifts. But
      certainly keep us in your prayers.

      *****

      We will be taking the English edition of the 2005
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary to the printer
      this week, so watch for a special notice about the
      publication of this annual resource.

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com