Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 22, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 22, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.
      We hope you will be blessed.

      God's generosity

      Matthew 20:1-16

      We will find ourselves in today's parable. Perhaps
      we are among the laborers who toiled in backbreaking
      work throughout the relentless heat of the very long
      day. If so, we are probably those who grumbled and
      bitterly resented those who experienced the generosity
      of the landowner. Others might find themselves
      rejoicing for those unsuspecting day laborers who
      found such surprising good fortune. They had arrived
      late, worked the fewest hours, and expected a much
      smaller salary than they received. As they gazed
      incredulously at the money in their hands, they
      realized they had been paid for a full day's wage.
      These day workers were jubilant. All received an
      honest day's wage regardless of hours actually worked.
      The workers varied in their response to the landowner's
      generosity with every conceivable emotion ranging from
      dismay and consternation, to gratitude and delight, to
      jealousy and anger depending on how long they had toiled.

      But how does this parable affect us in the twenty-first
      century? This story often comes as a surprise for many
      who either believe they must earn their salvation, or
      who have been living under the fear that God is miserly.
      It can also be uncomfortable for faithful people who
      have sacrificially and devotedly toiled for God in
      obscurity, hardship, and through the tedium of long-term
      committed service. By reading this parable, countless
      generations of seekers, skeptics, doubters, and spiritual
      pilgrims from all walks of life have found God to be
      generous beyond their wildest imaginings.

      God's ways certainly are not ours. Someday the least
      and the last will be first in the realm of God. Because
      God is generous to saint and sinner alike, we can be
      greatly encouraged. It is never too late to approach
      God for mercy and enter the realm of God. Divine
      generosity is abundantly lavished on the least
      deserving, eleventh hour, repentant reprobates and
      prodigals without measure or miserliness. This is a
      great gift if we will freely receive it. So enjoy the
      generosity of God today. Always remember God's heart
      is bigger than ours. God is charitable and kind,
      characterized by open-handedness and large heartedness
      for saints and sinners.

      God, thank you for being so generous to saints and
      sinners alike. We bless you for your mercy and kindness.
      May we always remember this parable when we feel
      bitterness and resentment, dismay and consternation
      when those we feel are less deserving approach you
      for mercy and entry into your realm. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.