Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 8, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 8, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.
      We hope you will be blessed.

      Beloved

      He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud
      overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said,
      "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well
      pleased; listen to him."
      Matthew 17:5

      Jesus is preparing for his pending death on the cross.
      He needs to go up to the mountain and talk with God
      and gather spiritual strength, wisdom, and encouragement.
      He brings along Peter, James, and his brother John.
      Before their stunned eyes, Jesus becomes transfigured,
      that is, becomes shining, radiant, and dazzling. The
      three astonished men probably think they are
      hallucinating, for they see Moses and Elijah talking
      with Jesus. Peter babbles something ridiculous to
      Jesus and suddenly the men are shrouded in a
      brilliantly bright cloud where they hear a heavenly
      voice, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with whom I am
      well pleased; listen to him!"

      The transfiguration of Jesus is recorded in three
      Gospels (Matthew 17:1-13, Mark 9:2-8, and Luke 9:28-36).
      If you have time, read all three accounts. It is a
      wonderful and marvelous story offering us many insights
      to ponder.

      The disciples are overcome by fear and fall to the
      ground. Jesus comes and touches them, encouraging
      them to get up and to not be afraid. When they rise
      up, all they see is Jesus. Moses and Elijah are gone.
      As they return to the valley, Jesus orders the three
      men to keep silent about this moment until after he
      suffers, dies, and is later raised from the dead.
      How confused they must have been.

      The story of Jesus' transfiguration is still difficult
      to understand even now. What I do understand is that
      Jesus is God's Beloved Son. I am to listen to him.
      And so are you.

      God, help us listen to your Beloved Child. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.