Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 4, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 4, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok. Since Adam will be in Puerto Rico
      from July 3 though July 12 we wanted to send the next
      two Sunday's Reflections now. God bless you!

      Please get out your Bible and read the Gospel and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      Our words and deeds

      [Jesus said] "'Either make the tree good, and its fruit
      good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the
      tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How
      can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out
      of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The
      good person brings good things out of a good treasure,
      and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil
      treasure. I tell you, on the day of judgment you will
      have to give an account for every careless word you
      utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by
      your words you will be condemned.'"
      Matthew 12:33-37

      I marvel at the bluntness of Jesus. He calls his
      religious critics vipers or evil snakes directly to
      their face. Perhaps this is why so many are not
      neutral about him. I respect his directness. It
      is such a contrast to his enemies who met secretly
      while scheming against him. But there is more to
      this admonition addressed to the religious authorities
      of his day. There is something for us across the
      centuries.

      Our mouths speak from the abundance of our hearts.
      Good begets good. Evil begets evil. Our words are
      powerful. They can heal or harm. Even the most
      careless words can have long lasting effects. Once
      spoken, they cannot be taken back. And even when
      words are overheard by accident, they transform lives.

      A future day of judgment comes for all of us. Every
      careless word will be revisited. Our words will come
      back to us. They will haunt some and edify others.
      Be careful of what you speak. Silence can be golden.
      Let your words be seasoned with wisdom, prudence, love,
      and truth. Rash words cause deep regret.

      From time to time, people come to me for spiritual
      direction. The temptation to speak personal words
      of advice is sometimes overwhelming. My sincere
      words could actually hinder someone's spiritual
      journey towards healing. Sometimes it is better
      for me to speak less and listen more closely.

      But it is also important to have our words reflected
      back at us. They mirror our hearts and speak volumes
      of our spiritual condition. Words of slander, malice,
      and abusive language reflect and reveal our true heart
      condition.

      The rich words of Christ can help transform the spoken
      and unspoken words in our hearts. Let Christ?s words
      fill the inner chapel of your hearts.

      God, help us choose our words carefully today and think
      twice before we speak. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.