Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 9

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 9

      We could not wait until the 30th! Our newest
      book is on the Web site and our short pre-
      publication sale starts today! Read about
      "Christian with a Twist" in Article 1 and see it at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ChristianWithTwist

      Now, here is the Chi Rho Connection!

      Contents:

      1. Prepublication Sale of Our Next Book!
      2. Summer Reading List
      3. Six Stages of Coming Out
      4. Adam's Birthday Celebration!
      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quote:

      "Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be
      removed by argument."
      Samuel Johnson

      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in
      argument."
      William G. McAdoo

      "Humanity is in the highest degree irrational, so
      that there is no prospect of influencing it by
      reasonable arguments. . . . Against prejudice one
      can do nothing."
      Sigmund Freud

      "A prejudice is a vagrant opinion without visible
      means of support."
      Ambrose Bierce

      1. Pre-publication Sale of Our Next Book!

      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by William Gaston.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ChristianWithTwist

      List Price after July 20, 2004: $19.95 each, $14.95
      each for six or more copies.

      Pre-publication sale (now until July 20, 2004):
      $15.95 each, six or more copies, $11.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      From the Publisher's Note:

      These reflections are a remarkable collection, borne
      out of the life experience and deep faith of a remarkable
      man. Bill Gaston has been writing these reflections
      weekly, based on the Sunday lectionary readings. They
      have been published in the Sunday bulletin newsletter at
      the Metropolitan Community Church of Washington, D.C. for
      over three years now. As such, they have edified,
      challenged, startled, enlightened, and sometimes annoyed
      the hundreds of people who come through the doors of that
      amazing church. Very often Bill's reflections have caused
      members, friends, and visitors to MCC DC to think more
      deeply, reflect more honestly, and stretch more boldly in
      their faith journey.

      But Bill Gaston is remarkable for more than just these
      weekly reflections. He has been living with liver cancer
      for over twelve years, since September 1991, a remarkably
      long time, the medical experts will tell you. He has lost
      a cherished partner to HIV/AIDS. He has worked as a school
      teacher and a librarian. He is a gay man, of course, and
      he is a Christian. But as Bill tells us in his title for
      this collection, he is a "Christian with a Twist!"

      His sexual orientation, his life history, his having loved
      and lost a wonderful man to AIDS, and his long struggle
      with cancer all have helped inform these reflections. But
      most of all, these reflections are grounded in Bill's great
      Christian faith; in his return to the faith from a period
      in the spiritual wilderness; and in the church, MCC DC,
      that encouraged him, enabled him, empowered him, and
      welcomed him back to faith in Christ Jesus.

      On January 22, 2004, just five months before this writing,
      Bill entered hospice care at the Washington Hospice (4200
      Wisconsin Ave. NW, Fourth Floor, Washington, DC 20016,
      202/362-7572). Chi Rho Press first heard from Bill about
      his desire to publish his book of reflections in February,
      2004. Needless to say, given his health and his status
      as a hospice patient, there was some urgency to move this
      project along quickly and expeditiously. We have never
      succeeded in getting a book from manuscript to print in
      such a short time!

      As a result, there may be some things we missed: a
      glaring grammatical error, the odd typo, a misspelling
      or two. We hope you will forgive any of these errors
      that might exist (and I hope they are few!). And we
      hope you will understand that the exigencies of getting
      this book into print outweighed our usual ponderous,
      glacial slowness, and what I hope our readers see as
      our customary careful attention to detail.

      Chi Rho Press wants to acknowledge the preliminary work
      of Janice Okita and Pam Johnson on this manuscript.
      Their work made our work a great deal easier! We also
      want to thank the visionary generosity of the Rev. Dr.
      Candace R. Shultis, pastor of the Metropolitan Community
      Church of Washington, DC, for being the first publisher
      of these reflections. We thank the good people at
      Washington Hospice for keeping our brother Bill
      relatively free of pain and in good spirits these last
      five months. We thank again Craig Arnold, artist
      extraordinaire, for once again gracing a Chi Rho
      Press book with his artwork, this time in the line
      drawings of Bible and mirror in the headers on these
      pages. And of course, we thank Bill Gaston, for his
      generosity, his wisdom, his wit, his patience, and his
      confidence in the ministry of Chi Rho Press.

      I am confident that you will agree that this book of
      reflections is a work of mighty faith, great skill,
      and surprising good sense. It is also a very
      enjoyable read. So please break open the wonders
      and delights of this "Christian with a Twist." Read
      them all in one sitting, one a day, even one a week.
      Perhaps you might want to have some lemonade and ginger
      snaps in Bill's honor as you read. I guarantee that
      you will be blessed.

      Take advantage of the special pre-publication sale
      from now until July 20, 2004! $15.95 each, six or
      more copies, $11.95 each, plus shipping and handling.
      View and order this book on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ChristianWithTwist.

      2. Summer Reading List

      Summer is fast upon us here in the Northern Hemisphere
      and if you are looking for some reading material that
      will edify, inspire, enlighten, and enliven you, we
      have some suggestions! Here is a list of our best
      selling titles, along with links to each book on our
      Web site where you can find more information about
      the authors, reviews of the books, color photos of
      the covers, and more!

      Our new book of daily devotions, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      L. Bochonok. $20.95 each, six or more copies for
      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      "The Bible and Homosexuality," by the Rev. Michael
      England, is $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling. You may order
      from our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#England

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available for $9.95 each, six or
      more copies for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Our first book of daily devotionals. See it on our Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS.

      "Families Re-Membered," by Louis F. Kavar is available
      for $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.25 each,
      plus shipping and handling. Find "Families Re-Membered"
      at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/hivaids.html.

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck, $24.95 each, six or more copies for $18.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. Read about this
      wonderful book at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      "The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence
      on Same-Sex Relationships," by the Rev. Jeff Miner and
      John Tyler Connoley. $12.95 each, six or more copies
      for $9.75 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Miner.

      "Together in Love: Faith Stories of Gay, Lesbian,
      Bisexual, and Transgendered Couples," compiled by
      Roberta Showalter Kreider, $24.00 each, six or more
      copies for $18.00 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Kreider.

      "Positively Gay: New Approaches to Gay and Lesbian Life,"
      compiled and edited by Betty Berzon. $14.95 each, six or
      more copies for $11.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Berzon.

      "Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as Gay
      Men and Lesbians," by Chris Glaser. $19.95 each, six or
      more copies for $14.95 each.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#ComeHome.

      "Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts of Lesbian, Gay,
      Bisexual, and Transgendered Presbyterians," edited by
      Jane Adams Spahr, et al. $17.95 each, six or more
      copies for $15.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#CalledOut.

      3. Six Stages of Coming Out

      We saw this on one of the list-serves we are part of,
      but there was no acknowledgement of the original author.
      Here are the Six Stages of Gayness, developed by the
      prominent therapist 'Elisabeth Kubler Dianaross:'

      1. Denial (I'm not gay, I'm not gay, I'm not gay,
      I'm not gay . . . what a beautiful lamp!)

      2. Anger (Who you callin' a faggot, faggot?)

      3. Bargaining (I'll do anything, God, even vote
      Republican!)

      4. Depression (So that's what happens when you
      vote Republican.)

      5. Acceptance (I'm queer, I'm here, get used to it.)

      6. Ecstasy (Gay Equals Gift)

      4. Adam's Birthday Celebration!

      Chi Rho Press founder and director, Adam DeBaugh turned
      57 on June 23.

      As we have done occasionally in the past, the board and
      staff of Chi Rho Press would like to invite you to make a
      contribution to this ministry in Adam's honor.

      All contributions are fully tax deductible. May we
      suggest a $57.00 contribution in honor of Adam's 57
      years?

      Just send your check or money order, made out to Chi
      Rho Press with the notation, 'Adam's Birthday' in the
      memo line, to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      Or make your birthday gift on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.

      All contributions in honor of Adam's birthday will be
      used for the ministry of Chi Rho Press.

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Thu. July 1, Canada Day (Canada).

      Fri. July 2, Asala (Buddhist). Also known as Dhamma
      Day, Turning the Wheel of Teaching. Marks the day
      when Buddha made his first public proclamation to
      five ascetics. He taught the middle way, the noble
      eight-fold path, and the four noble truths.

      Sun. July 4, Independence Day (U.S.A.). Monday will
      be a Federal holiday.

      Tue. July 6, Jan Hus (1372-1415). Czech reformer and
      martyr. Born to a poor peasant family, Hus was ordained
      a priest and eventually became rector of Prague
      University. Long before the Protestant Reformation,
      Hus was an enormously popular and fiery preacher who
      spoke against corruption in the medieval church and
      translated the Bible into Czech. When he refused to
      stop preaching he was excommunicated, jailed, and
      burned at the stake. He met his death with great
      courage and faith, forgiving his enemies. His spiritual
      descendants eventually became the Moravian church.

      Fri. July 9, Augustus Tolton (1854-1897). First
      African-American priest. Tolton was born to Catholic
      slave parents who escaped during the Civil War. From
      an early age he felt a call to the priesthood. He
      studied in Illinois, and later in Rome, before being
      returned to the U.S. to be ordained and work with
      struggling black Catholic congregations. His
      preaching attracted huge crowds of cheering blacks,
      and many whites, as well. There had been previous
      biracial priests, but he was the first fully black
      priest to truly identify with the black community
      and culture. Though frequently marginalized by the
      establishment, he exposed racism in the church and
      worked for integration and equality.

      Fri. July 9, Martyrdom of the Bab (Baha'i).
      Execution of Ali Mohammed by Persian political
      and religious powers in 1850. No work is done on
      this day.

      Wed. July 14, Bastille Day (France).

      *****

      Order the 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      The board of directors of Chi Rho Press is offering
      Promissory Notes in increments of $1,000 to our
      supporters who wish to invest in this ministry. Our
      Promissory Notes earn 6% simple interest and are
      repaid in eight quarterly installments over two
      years. Write Adam@... for more
      information.

      *****

      I am very exciting about my up-coming trip to San
      Juan, Puerto Rico. I am going in part for the UFMCC
      Region 3 conference July 8 through 11. But I leave
      this Saturday, July 3 and return Monday, July 12.

      I'll be staying at the Windham Old San Juan. If you
      are in Puerto Rico, either for the Region 3 conference,
      or you live there, or just on holiday, give me a call!
      I am expecting to have a lap top with me, hopefully with
      Internet access, so I expect to be able to check e-mail
      for the Press every day. But please be patient! All
      orders will be filled upon my return.

      *****

      We are very excited about the production of our newest
      book, Christian with a Twist, by Bill Gaston (please
      see article number one). The book is at the printer
      and I expect to get the blue lines back this week
      before I leave, so the book will be printed while I
      am in Puerto Rico and ready soon after my return,
      probably on July 20. Please consider ordering this
      remarkable and insightful book of reflections. And
      please keep Bill in your prayers.

      *****

      Chi Rho Press is a partner in ministry with Dr.
      Truluck and over the last couple of months we have
      called upon our readers to help him in his time of
      financial need. Many have done so and we have been
      gratified that a lot of people have taken advantage
      of our suggestion to make tax-deductible contributions
      to Dr. Truluck through Chi Rho Press.

      We continue to urge your support for Dr. Truluck.
      You may buy his wonderful and inspiring book, "Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      If you would like your contribution to be fully tax-
      deductible, you may make your gift check out to Chi Rho
      Press, designate that it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo
      line, and send it to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA.

      Or you may make your contribution on line at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html. You can
      specify contributions of any multiple of $10, $25, $50,
      $100, or $150. Just choose the amount you want to give
      and note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      We continue to encourage you to be generous. Thank you
      for your support of this incredible man who has given
      so much to our community of faith and who now needs our
      help.

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com