Chi Rho Press' 22nd eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2000
      Twenty-second eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail may be directed to Adam@.... See the end of this
      eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Blade Article on Dr. Rembert Truluck
      2. Truluck Tour Report
      3. �The Other Side� Review of �Steps�
      4. Great Changes on the Web Page!
      5. Hymns for Special People
      6. Adam's Last Word

      1. Blade Article on Dr. Rembert Truluck

      The Washington Blade, DC�s weekly newspaper for the LGBT community, published
      an excellent article on August 11, 2000, during Dr. Rembert Truluck�s book
      in the area (see next story). You can access Rhonda Smith�s article on
      http://www.washblade.com/meta/religion/a.htm. We also reprint it here with

      The Rev. Dr. Rembert S. Truluck has been visiting various local congregations
      and faith-based groups recently to discuss �Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,� a 551-page tome that took him 11 years to write.

      The openly Gay minister only devotes one chapter (31 pages) in the book to a
      discussion about biblical scripture used to condemn homosexuality. The other
      17 chapters generally focus on how to examine one�s faith, deal with anger,
      study the Gospels, and take time to heal and recover.

      "My battle scars have been inflicted more by myself and by my friends than by
      outsiders," said Truluck, 66. "I have been deceived, betrayed, abandoned, and
      demonized by people I love. The enemy truly is within."

      Truluck�s own painful past and a doctorate in sacred theology that he earned
      from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., lend
      to the lessons he outlines in Steps to Recovery. Some of this information
      can be accessed at www.truluck.com.

      Truluck said he was attracted to other boys as a child, and experienced God�s
      call to the ministry during the summer of 1952. Seven years later,
      however, he
      married a woman and began to build a home and family, which included having
      three children. (He devotes the book to his openly Lesbian daughter, Susan.)

      From 1952 to 1968, Truluck said he "wrestled quietly with my own sexual
      orientation without any counseling or helpful reading material."

      He said three psychiatrists he visited and told about his sexual orientation
      told Truluck psychiatry could not change sexual orientation. So he remained
      married and continued working as a Southern Baptist preacher at churches in
      Mississippi and South Carolina.

      From 1973 to 1981, he worked at a Baptist college in Charleston as a religion
      professor and developed a program of recruitment, church placement, and field
      supervision for ministry students there. On March 3, 1981, he said the
      president of the college asked him to resign because someone had told the
      school�s trustees that he was Gay.

      Truluck resigned for "personal reasons" and later that year moved alone to
      Atlanta to live with his sister and create a new life.

      But for almost a decade, he said he wasted a lot of time visiting Gay bars and
      abusing alcohol.

      "When you lose everything, it makes you angry and depressed," he said. "I
      couldn�t get a job, so I had a paper route, and then worked at a courier

      Truluck said the sudden and total end to his ministry, family, career, and
      income sent him into a shock and alcoholic fog that lasted about seven years.

      In the late 1980s, however, he joined Alcoholics Anonymous and quit drinking
      for good on Aug. 8, 1989. Around that time, Truluck also became more
      active in
      the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches. And by the time
      he retired as a minister in 1996, he had served at MCC churches in Atlanta,
      Francisco, and Nashville.

      A central goal of writing Steps to Recovery, Truluck said, was to help Gay
      Christians prosper.

      "My aim was to help Gay people feel good about themselves," he said, "and to
      stop hurting themselves and others."

      The Rev. Rembert Truluck is scheduled to speak at a "Steps to Recovery From
      Bible Abuse" workshop at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 12, at MCC-Baltimore.

      He is scheduled to preach at 11 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 13, at Holy Redeemer MCC in
      College Park, Md., and to lead a workshop discussion about the book at 1 p.m.
      that day. The church is at 4907 Niagara Road, Suite 102. For information,
      (301) 982-5775.

      -- Rhonda Smith

      2. Truluck Tour Report

      Chi Rho Press hosted Dr. Rembert S. Truluck for a book tour in the Washington
      area for two
      weeks beginning July 28 and ending August 14. The tour was a smashing
      success! Many thanks to all who helped and to all of you who came out to hear
      him and buy books.

      Dr. Truluck preached and signed books at MCC Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, and was
      at Lambda Rising, in Rehoboth Beach, for a book signing.

      We had dinner with the board of directors and staff of Chi Rho Press.

      He spoke at a workshop and pot luck supper at New Light MCC, Hagerstown, MD.

      We attended worship, another pot luck, and Dr. Truluck spoke at a meeting of
      Integrity Northern
      Virginia, at the Episcopal Church of St. Clement in Alexandria, VA.

      On Sunday, Aug. 6, he preached and led a workshop at MCC Richmond, VA.

      Dr. Truluck led a Christian Education class at MCC of Washington DC.

      He spoke at Foundry United Methodist Church, Washington DC (where President
      Mrs. Clinton often worship).

      He led a workshop at MCC Baltimore, MD, and he preached and led a workshop to
      kick off an on-going Bible study, using his book at Holy Redeemer MCC, College
      Park, MD.

      The tour was a great success, touching many lives. We give special thanks to
      our hosts along the way, to the pastors of the churches we visited, and the
      leaders of the groups at which Truluck spoke, and especially to all the people
      who came to hear him, buy his book, and learn from this eloquent teacher.

      3. The Other Side Review

      The Other Side, a wonderful magazine of social justice for people of faith,
      carries �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� in their mail order catalog and
      web site. Here is what they say about this book:

      "This book combines biblical scholarship with personal stories of pathos and
      power about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people who have been
      but ultimately healed by Christianity. Taking a fresh look at the Bible as
      'the friend of lesbians and gays,' Truluck provides the information needed to
      respond to the wounding ignorance that damages the spirit. A strong advocate
      of small-group study, Truluck offers questions for reflection and discussion
      throughout the book, as well as additional resources (551 pp, paperback)."

      4. Great Changes on Chi Rho Press' Web Page

      We have made it even easier to order from Chi Rho Press through our web page.
      Dotti Berry and her excellent team at of D3 Marketing Innovations in
      Lexington, Kentucky, has added a shopping cart to the web page at
      Now you can click on "add to cart" at any item in our catalog and it will be
      put in your personal shopping cart, adding up the amounts and shipping and
      You can order as many things as you want.

      Then you can pay by major credit card! Yes! We have finally entered the
      credit card age! You may pay by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American
      Express, Discover/Novus). And if you prefer, you can still pay by check or
      money order.

      We are very pleased with the work Dotti and her team has done and hope you
      will test out our new shopping cart and credit card availability. By all
      please go to the web site and order something! <G>

      You can view samples of Dotti's excellent work at her businesses,
      www.e-globaltech.com, www.EmpoweringDiversity.com,
      www.4phoenixcommunications.com, and www.diversitypromotions.com. The Board and
      Staff of Chi Rho Press welcome Dotti to our community of faith and ministry
      we look forward to working with her and with all the folks at D3 Marketing
      Innovations (www.D3Marketing.com)

      5. Hymns For Special People

      I received this from one of the list serves we are on, and couldn�t resist
      passing it on.

      The Dentist's Hymn:.........Crown Him With Many Crowns
      The Weatherman's Hymn.......There shall be showers of Blessing
      The Contractor's Hymn.......The Church's One Foundation
      The Tailor's Hymn...........Holy, Holy, Holy
      The Golfer's Hymn...........There is A Green Hill Far Away
      The Politician's Hymn.......Standing on the Promises
      The Optometrist's Hymn..... Open My Eyes That I might See
      The IRS Agent's Hymn........I Surrender All
      The Gossip's Hymn...........Pass It On
      The Electrician's Hymn......Send the Light
      The Shopper's Hymn..........Sweet By and By

      Now, for those who speed on the highway - a few hymns for you:

      45 mph.......................God Will Take Care of You
      55 mph.......................Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
      65 mph.......................Nearer My God to Thee
      75 mph.......................Nearer Still Nearer
      85 mph.......................This World Is Not My Home
      95 mph.......................Lord, I'm Coming Home
      +100 mph...................Precious Memories

      6. Adam's Last Word.

      Well, it was an exciting (and exhausting) two and a half weeks with Dr.
      Truluck. I was constantly amazed by his ability to capture an audience with
      his humor, his honesty, his willingness to be vulnerable, and his immense
      scholarship. This is a man who really knows his Bible, and he knows his God!
      More than ever, I can recommend his book, �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse�
      without hesitation, having witnessed first hand the lives Rembert Truluck�s
      ministry has touched.

      We had an excellent board of directors meeting on Aug. 19. Among the actions
      of the board was to approve the promotion of Kevin Stone Fries from Assistant
      Editor to Editor of Chi Rho Press. This is a reflection of how Kevin and I
      dividing responsibilities here at the Press, with him really taking the
      lead in
      the editing of manuscripts we have accepted for publication. Congratulations
      and many thanks to Kevin!

      Credit card sales on our web site are increasing, which is very gratifying.
      Thanks to you all for your support!

      Summer is winding down in fact the last few days have been very cool and
      autumn-like here in the Washington, DC area. As summer ends, I hope you have
      had time to rest, be refreshed, and relax. Whether you like to spend days at
      the beach, by a pool, near a river or lake, or in the mountains I trust that
      you took time to appreciate the goodness of the earth, the beauty of God�s
      creation, and the benefits of our lives. And if like me, you haven�t had time
      for a vacation yet, I hope you will be able to have some good quality relaxing
      time over the long Labor Day weekend in two weeks.

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have

      please write to Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... You may pay by credit card or we will ship your order
      after receiving your check or money order. Include your e-mail address,
      address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com We now accept credit
      cards on our web page!

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre St., Odessa, ONT., Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...;
      phone or fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)

      Copyright 2000, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Grace and peace,