Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 6, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 6, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok

      Please get out your Bible and read the Gospel and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      Healing

      When Jesus came to the other side, to the country of
      the Gadarenes, two demoniacs coming out of the tombs
      met him. They were so fierce that no one could pass
      that way. . . .Then the whole town came out to meet
      Jesus; and when they saw him, they begged him to leave.
      Matthew 8:28, 34

      Tormented people experience Jesus the Healer in this
      powerful story found in its entirety in Matthew 8:28-
      34 and in Mark 5:1-17. Both gospel writers were
      deeply impressed with this event. Matthew mentions
      two demon-possessed men. Mark only mentions one.
      But the numbers are irrelevant. It is a profound
      story of mental anguish, inner violence, insanity,
      and loneliness. Life is forever changed but at
      significant economic cost for the local community.
      The Healer sends the tormenting evil spirits into
      the large herd of feeding pigs. The entire herd then
      rushes into the water. They drown. The pig herders
      rush into town and tell their news. And the entire
      town goes out to meet Jesus and see the situation
      for themselves. They beg Jesus to leave their region.

      Perhaps we need healing ourselves but fear the cost
      of following Jesus. Or perhaps we have ample
      resources and wish to keep them for ourselves,
      rather than alleviate the sufferings of others.

      I am amazed at the value of a human life. Jesus
      was willing to travel out of his way to meet those
      who needed healing. He was approachable to those
      who suffered deep inner torment and inner violence.
      He is just as approachable today.

      God, where are we in this story? And what are we to
      do with Jesus in our lives? Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.