Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V. No. 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 7

      1. Summer Reading List
      2. Do you EBay?
      3. Reflections on a Baby Changing Station
      4. Watch Your Driving
      5. Truluck Support
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quote:

      Gleaned from the Internet:

      "How important does a person have to be before
      they are considered assassinated instead of just
      murdered?"

      "If money doesn't grow on trees, then why do banks
      have branches?"

      "How is it that we put a human on the moon before
      we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels
      on luggage?"

      "Why are you IN a movie, but ON TV?"

      "Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then
      put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?"

      "I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear
      loose-fitting clothing. If I HAD any loose-fitting
      clothing, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place!"

      "Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life
      we could simply press Ctrl Alt Delete and start all
      over?"

      1. Summer Reading List

      Summer is fast upon us here in the Northern Hemisphere
      and if you are looking for some reading material that
      will edify, inspire, enlighten, and enliven you, we
      have some suggestions! Here is a list of our best
      selling titles, along with links to each book on our
      Web site where you can find more information about
      the authors, reviews of the books, color photos of
      the covers, and more!

      Our new book of daily devotions, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      L. Bochonok. $20.95 each, six or more copies for
      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      "The Bible and Homosexuality," by the Rev. Michael
      England, is $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling. You may order
      from our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#England

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available for $9.95 each, six or
      more copies for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Our first book of daily devotionals. See it on our Web
      site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS.

      "Families Re-Membered," by Louis F. Kavar is available
      for $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.25 each,
      plus shipping and handling. Find "Families Re-Membered"
      at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/hivaids.html.

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck, $24.95 each, six or more copies for $18.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. Read about this
      wonderful book at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      "The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence
      on Same-Sex Relationships," by the Rev. Jeff Miner and
      John Tyler Connoley. $12.95 each, six or more copies
      for $9.75 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Miner.

      "Together in Love: Faith Stories of Gay, Lesbian,
      Bisexual, and Transgendered Couples," compiled by
      Roberta Showalter Kreider, $24.00 each, six or more
      copies for $18.00 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Kreider.

      "Positively Gay: New Approaches to Gay and Lesbian Life,"
      compiled and edited by Betty Berzon. $14.95 each, six or
      more copies for $11.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Berzon.

      "Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as Gay
      Men and Lesbians," by Chris Glaser. $19.95 each, six or
      more copies for $14.95 each.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#ComeHome.

      "Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts of Lesbian, Gay,
      Bisexual, and Transgendered Presbyterians," edited by
      Jane Adams Spahr, et al. $17.95 each, six or more
      copies for $15.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#CalledOut.

      2. Do you EBay?

      Do you EBay?

      Thanks to my son Patrick, I have opened an account on
      EBay under the user name AdamThePublisher. With Patrick's
      help, we set up a store on EBay called The Chi Rho Place.
      If you like EBay, please go check it out!

      The first e-mail I received as a result of the new Chi
      Rho Place was from my son's partner, who's name is also
      Patrick. The Other Patrick, or TOP as we call him, wrote
      regarding the book "Positively Gay," "Is this book about
      homosexuality? Does it come in any other colors?"

      Any other colors??? <sigh> It is not easy being a
      publisher! Of course, TOP went on to say, "I love
      your new store!" and he ordered a copy of "The Bible
      and Homosexuality," our first EBay sale. My favorite
      son-in-law!

      We encourage you to check out The Chi Rho Place on EBay
      (maybe that will be the name of our chain of brick and
      mortar stores some day!), though we still encourage our
      regular customers to use our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com for their orders!

      3. Reflections on a Baby Changing Station

      At a local restaurant recently, I went to the men's room
      and noticed a baby changing station there.

      It is a rather recent phenomenon, having baby changing
      stations in the men's rooms in addition to being in
      women's rooms. I reflected that it is in part at least
      due to the influence of Gay men on our society. That
      may be a bit presumptuous, I know, but how HAS the
      LGBT community impacted on society at large?

      No longer is the assumption that changing babies is
      only women's work, but rather husbands, boyfriends, and
      fathers are taking more of a role in the care of their
      children. Gender roles are changing and that is a very
      good thing!

      Hopefully, one thing the LGBT movement is doing is
      helping move heterosexual relationships toward a more
      mutual kind of relating. In some ways, the critics
      of the Religious Reich are correct when they say that
      same-gender marriages will destroy the institution of
      marriage and the American family.

      Hopefully we are destroying the sexist, patriarchal,
      male dominated relationships of the past and replacing
      them with relationships that are characterized by
      mutuality, respect, cooperation, and love. All in
      all, that is not a bad thing!

      The baby changing station in a restaurant men's room
      is perhaps a small indicator of the change that is
      happening in our culture. I like to think that gay
      and lesbian people have had some influence on making
      that change a reality.

      4. Watch your Driving.

      An honest man was being tailgated by a stressed-out
      woman on a busy boulevard. Suddenly, the light turned
      yellow, just in front of him. He did the right thing,
      stopping at the crosswalk, even though he could have
      beaten the red light by accelerating through the
      intersection.

      The tailgating woman about went ballistic, hit the
      roof, and the horn, screaming in frustration as she
      missed her chance to get through the intersection
      with him. As she was still in mid-rant, she heard
      a tap on her window and looked up into the face of
      a very serious police officer. The officer ordered
      her to exit her car with her hands up. He took her
      to the police station where she was searched,
      fingerprinted, photographed, and placed in a cell.
      After a couple of hours, a policeman approached the
      cell and opened the door. She was escorted back to
      the booking desk where the arresting officer was
      waiting with her personal effects.

      He said, "I'm very sorry for this mistake. You
      see, I pulled up behind your car while you were
      blowing your horn, flipping off the guy in front
      of you, and cussing a blue streak at him. I
      noticed the 'What Would Jesus Do' bumper sticker,
      the 'Follow Me to Sunday School' bumper sticker,
      and the chrome-plated Christian fish emblem on the
      trunk.

      "Naturally, I assumed you had stolen the car."

      5. Support for Dr. Truluck

      Dr. Rembert Truluck is the author of "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse," one of the most
      successful and important books published by
      Chi Rho Press, and he maintains the Web site
      by the same name at http://www.truluck.com

      On the day of his 70th birthday, Dr. Truluck lost
      the job that he has had for the past four years.
      Chi Rho Press is a partner in ministry with Dr.
      Truluck and we have called upon our readers to
      help him in his time of financial need. Many
      have done so and we have been gratified that a
      lot of people have taken advantage of our
      suggestion to make tax-deductible contributions
      to Dr. Truluck through Chi Rho Press.

      Send whatever you can to Dr. Rembert Truluck,
      P.O. Box 24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      Sign up for his regular e-mail updates by writing
      him at Rembert@... and visit his excellent
      Web site at http://www.truluck.com

      Buy his wonderful and inspiring book, "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      But most of all, we encourage you to prayerfully
      send a contribution to him at Dr. Rembert Truluck,
      P.O. Box 24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      If you would prefer to make your contribution anonymous,
      or if you would like your contribution to be fully tax-
      deductible, you may make your gift check out to Chi Rho
      Press, designate that it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo
      line, and send it to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA.

      Or you may make your contribution on line at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html. You can
      specify contributions of any multiple of $10, $25, $50,
      $100, or $150. Just choose the amount you want to give
      and note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      We continue to encourage you to be generous. Thank you for
      your support of this incredible man who has given so much
      to our community of faith and who now needs our help.
      Please feel free to send this article to all your friends.

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sun. May 30, St. Joan of Arc (1412?-1431). Maid of
      Orleans and martyr. A young peasant girl, Joan was led
      by angelic voices to restore the French throne.
      Dressed as a soldier, she led the French army in
      several victories, until finally being captured by
      the English. In a church trial she was accused of
      heresy and witchcraft, and burned at the stake at the
      age of 19. Refusing to give up her male clothing or
      deny her voices, she represents the confrontation
      between purity and the corruption of power. She
      inspires us to listen to our own inner voices and
      respond with equal faith.

      Mon. May 31, Memorial Day (U.S.A.). Federal holiday.

      Mon. May 31, Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
      This day celebrates the visit of Mary with her cousin,
      Elizabeth, who was pregnant herself with John the
      Baptist (Luke 1:39-56). The baby in Elizabeth's womb
      leaps and she proclaims, "Blessed are you among women,
      and blessed is the fruit of your womb," women's
      experience validating the experience of women. Mary
      breaks into the Magnificat, "My soul proclaims the
      greatness of God." In this subversive song of praise
      the patriarchal system is turned upside down as God
      lifts up the oppressed.

      Tue. June 1, St. Justin of Rome (c. 167). Philosopher
      and Martyr. Justin came from a gentile family in
      Samaria. He studied all the major religious and
      philosophical movements of his day, eventually
      deciding to become a Christian. He saw Christian
      faith as the fulfillment of Greek philosophy. He
      later settled in Rome and, upon refusing to sacrifice
      to the gods, was scourged and beheaded.

      Thu. June 3, Pope John XXIII (1881-1963). Reformer
      of the Church. When John was elected Pope he was
      expected to be no more than a transitional figure.
      In a brief pontificate of less than five years, John
      was able to bring about sweeping changes by opening
      the church up to positive dialogue with the modern
      world. John convened Vatican II (only the second
      council since the 16th century) as a pastoral council
      to address Christian unity, world peace, and the
      needs of the poor. Its sweeping reforms have
      dramatically affected not only the Catholic church,
      but all of Christianity.

      Sat. June 5, World Environment Day. Established by
      the United Nations in 1972.

      Mon. June 7, Seattle (1786?-1866). Chief of the
      Suquamish. As a child growing up on Puget Sound,
      Seattle witnessed the arrival of the first whites.
      When he became chief he tried to use peaceful dialogue,
      rather than violence, to coexist with the increasing
      demands of the new settlers. He and his people
      converted to Christianity, but he came to see that
      there were fundamental spiritual differences between
      his people and the whites, especially in our
      relationship with the earth. He understood that
      "to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its
      Creator."

      Sat. June 12, Anne Frank (1929-1945). Witness of
      the Holocaust. During the Nazi occupation of
      Amsterdam, Anne Frank's family remained in hiding
      for two years. At the age of 13 she took her school
      books and a diary into captivity with her. There
      she recorded not only their day to day struggle for
      survival, but her personal growth as a young woman
      who could find hope in the face of hopelessness.
      Shortly after turning fifteen they were discovered
      and she was sent to her death in the concentration
      camps.

      Mon. June 14, Flag Day (U.S.A.).

      Sun. June 20, Father's Day (U.S.A., Canada, United
      Kingdom)

      Mon. June 21, First Day of Summer (Northern
      Hemisphere). Summer solstice is an important
      celebration for Wiccans. Fires are lit to honor
      the sun and the bounty of nature.

      *****

      Order the 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      The board of directors of Chi Rho Press is offering
      Promissory Notes in increments of $1,000 to our
      supporters who wish to invest in this ministry. Our
      Promissory Notes earn 6% simple interest and are
      repaid in eight quarterly installments over two
      years. Write Adam@... for more
      information.

      *****

      Memorial Day Weekend just ended here in the United
      States. Monday will be the first paid holiday I have
      had at my secular job since New Years Day. <sigh> I
      hope you enjoyed the holiday!

      We also need to take time this weekend (and all the
      time) to reflect on the men and women who serve our
      country in the military. Despite what we might think
      about the Bush Family War the United States
      unilaterally started in Iraq and despite the recent
      atrocities which have come to light perpetrated by
      American intelligence forces (which can only serve
      to worsen the threat of terrorism at home and abroad
      as we further alienate Islamic people), our women and
      men in uniform are to be remembered and honored for
      their sacrifice. And the veterans of past conflicts
      need to be honored and thanked this weekend especially.

      *****

      We are always looking for short essays from YOU to
      include in an edition of the Chi Rho Connection. If
      you would like to write for us, just send your
      submission to eNews@.... Let us know
      how you would like your name to appear in the by-line
      and a little something about you we can share with
      our readers. Thanks!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com