Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 2, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 2, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok

      Please get out your Bible and read the Gospel and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      Keeping your word

      Jesus said, concerning oaths, "'Again, you have
      heard that it was said to those of ancient times,
      "You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the
      vows you have made to the Lord." But I say to
      you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for
      it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it
      is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the
      city of the great King. And do not swear by your
      head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
      Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No;" anything
      more than this comes from the evil one.'"
      Matthew 5:33-37 (NRSV)

      Jesus' words in today's verse are intended to help
      listeners avoid perjury, according to F. F. Bruce
      (Bruce, F. F. "The Hard Sayings of Jesus," pp. 66-
      67). Bearing false witness and breaking our vows
      are significant legal and spiritual concerns.
      Scripture lessons in Exodus 20:7, Leviticus 19:12,
      Numbers 30:2, and Deuteronomy 23:21 offer further
      guidance. In short, followers of Jesus should be
      women and men of their word.

      While writing this reflection I watched a wonderful
      movie "It Could Happen to You." This entertaining
      1994 movie is about a New York City cop, a waitress,
      and a lottery ticket. To the cop's embarrassment,
      as he paid his bill, he lacked money for a tip. All
      he had left was a lottery ticket. Not expecting to
      win anything, the police officer promised to share
      his lottery winnings with the waitress in lieu of a
      tip. To everyone's surprise and delight, the officer
      held the winning ticket for millions of dollars.

      Being a man of his word, he honored his promise and
      endured much criticism for doing so. But his word
      was his pledge and he was determined to do the right
      thing. He had made a promise. Being a person of
      integrity, he kept his word. What would you have
      done in his situation?

      So for today, let your "yes" be "yes" and "no" be
      "no" before making hasty promises. Consider the
      cost of your words. Think twice before offering
      vows, oaths, promises, and good intentions. As a
      follower of Jesus, keep your word.

      God, help us honor our words, promises, vows, and
      oaths. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is now available for $20.95
      each plus shipping and handling. Six or more copies
      are $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can
      find this book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      You may still purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi
      Rho Press for $9.95 plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.